Gebruikers-avatar
Ton
BerichtenCOLON 2917
GeregistreerdCOLON Do Jan 07, 2016 11:08 am

Newsletters Het Havenlicht-SCFS

Berichtdoor Ton » Zo Mrt 06, 2016 5:42 pm

04 Newsletter Het Havenlicht-SCFS - Newsletter 144

Dear friends and prayerpartners,

With great joy we send you our newsletter no. 144 about the mission amongst seafarers from all nationalities.
We trust you will enjoy reading it!
Looking forward as usual, to hear from you!

With warmest greetings and may God bless you!
Theo van Zuilekom

--
havenlicht@chello.nl
+31 36 5370340
www.havenlicht.com

===================================================================================================

Newsletter Spring 2016 no.144
From the desk
It is always a great joy to tell in our Bulletin about the nice experiences. We are grateful for the good co-operation
with (among others) the Seaman’s Centre in Amsterdam, Global Recordings Network in the Netherlands, the
Bible Society and the Pocket Bible League.
In this newsletter we start with the Annual Report for 2015. We want to thank all of you very warmly, who support
this work in prayer and financially! On the website you can see a more detailed financial report.
From the treasurer
In 2015 the gifts and donations received were less compared with the year before in 2014. More than 700 Tagalog
Bibles ( the most common language spoken in the Philippines) have been bought. The reason for this was an
urgent demand for them on the ships. Not only crewmembers had asked for them but also small gospel
communities on board the Cruise ships had a wish for Bibles so as to be able to loan them to guests and inquirers.
Every year money is given out for Christmas parcels containing special and useful gifts for the crews on the large
Cargo ships. The contents of the parcels are mostly paid for by the volunteers themselves. Also many long
evenings were used by dear people knitting woollen caps. The wrapping and the special bags and related costs
of the many Christmas parcels are for the Mission.
On our financial balance Sheet is a post called: remaining expenses. Noted here you find the costs for a new
Internet address. It is registered as: www.havenlicht.com and we think that this shorter address will be much
better to remember and give easier access to it.
As Het Havenlicht mission we are being helped by a constant group of supporters. The majority of them donate
a gift at least twice a year. We are really grateful for this and we hope that you will be behind us again supporting
this work in the Dutch ports in the year 2016.
Jan Gooier, Treasurer
The IJmuiden region
Visiting the Cargo ships demands much climbing and it is an effort carrying things. You always have a heavy bag
with Bibles with you and literature. You sometimes
have to be an acrobatic in order to keep your balance
( one hand for the ship and one hand for yourself).
Also a must is ,to have the least possible contact with
greasy steel cables or grimy ships parts. Sometimes
you succeed in this but other times not. For the most
part the Bulk carriers with their cargoes of coal or iron
ore are real filthy. In addition to visiting the ship
comes the effort of climbing up the 40 step gangway
hanging alongside. Once on deck there is the Bridge
with its many stairways, sometimes 8, before you
come to the captain’s quarters. Often it is not easy
after all that climbing when gasping for breath, to
explain to the captain who we are and what the
purpose of our visit is. With most ships it is not clear
of what nationality the crew is. This means that you
have to climb down the 40 steps of the gangway again before you know in what language the Bibles or literature
needs to be brought up. You can imagine that being in a good physical condition is a priority here. Fact is that
when you visit ships ,a good condition comes to you for free!
Last Autumn I had to go to Hospital for surgery. In the weeks after I wasn’t allowed to drive or carry heavy things.
Because of these restrictions the ship visitation program in IJmuiden had come to a halted. But in December we
had a free hand again. Anneke had prepared many Christmas parcels and we were able to make many sailors
happy. Port missionaries know that around Christmas the sailors are more open to the message of the Lord
Jesus. The people are longing to be with their families back home, especially at that time. Many sailors ask us
to pray for them and their family members who are mostly living on the other side of the world.
Ten years ago the Lord called us to start with this fine work among seamen, in co-operation with Harbourlight
Port mission. In all those years it happened only once or twice that we didn’t get permission to come aboard a
ship and rarely was our offer of Bibles, biblical literature and warm clothing refused, but it did happen last week.
It was on a large Bulk carrier with an Indian crew. After a short introduction on my part the person on duty, a First
Officer, reacted by saying in perfect English: “With all respect Sir, but we will not take any Bibles or such as we
are all Hindus”. Well, that was clear language. I
wished him Good Day and in my mind I shook the dust
off my feet. But in general, over the years, we nearly
always meet friendly people. They are happy to
welcome unexpected visitors on board, to later
receive Bibles, CD’s with Christian music and some
brochures called: a letter for you, all in their own
language. But on the other hand, sailors also meet
people that want to do business with them, wanting to
earn some money, but with us that is not so.
Countless times we have prayed with and for sailors,
young and old, from the ship’s Master to the young
cook’s mate. It is sometimes on a one to one basis but
at other times standing in a circle holding hands, be it
in the Mess room or on deck. It so happens that ten
men are present and after the AMEN they have tears
in their eyes. It is especially Anneke who has a fine feeling for such a need among the men. This also happens
when we open our bags with used clothing and woollen hats. They are empty in no time. Spiritual needs and
practical needs go hand in hand.
Jan and Anneke Best
Rotterdam 1
John the mess room man stayed behind after that the other seafarers had gone back to their tasks. “Can I have
a Bible in my language?” So often, when things are quiet in the Mess room there is a chance to have a good talk.
On deck of another ship: a Rumanian sailor is so surprised when accepting a brochure called “The Bridge”. “It is
in my own language!” Sometimes it is busy in the Control room, also this time . A sailor from Italy (Luca) asks ;
“What if I do things that aren’t right?” I answered: ”When you come to Him as you are, He will never turn you
down but will welcome you because you have come to Him.” He was happy to receive the Gospel of Luke ( Luca),
just like his name. He then tells me it is needful for him to read this “evangelio”. He is all smiles now.
On a ship with a Russian crew the Officer on the Bridge shares with me in a soft voice that he is also a believer.
The other crewmembers are not interested in my coming. We were there for encouragement of the Russian
Officer who accepted a Bible, wanting to place it in the Mess room .
When boarding still another ship, the sailor on deck asked me why I wanted to come on board. He checked me
out in a rather critical manner. After the promise that I wanted present the captain with a bottle ship, he gave me
permission to come aboard this small boat. Besides talking to this Russian I also spoke to Ian from the Philippines
who was so happy with our conversation. He was so encouraged.
Just like on this ship, we so often hear that people are surprised to see “someone” come aboard. They in a
certain way expect from us to bring an encouraging word. They really are in need of a good word for they miss
out on so many things. The literature, mostly tracts, are being read on the spot with a serious attitude.
It is God who began a good work in us all! Thank you for interceding for the sailors.
With hearty greetings,
Wout de Vries.
Between the Waves
Floating house of prayer, the Offshore Crane ships. Depending on what person is in what shift on board the
Hermod, sometimes four meetings can be arranged
for prayer, worship and Bible study. When there are
musicians among us, we have “live “meetings in the
proper sense of the word. This season the Hermod
was a few months on location in Congo and we now
have 20 Congolese workers on board. A number of
them attend the meetings with us. For every one
present we had new material available to encourage
living the life-with-the –Word ( Bible’s, DVD’s and
tracts in French). It later became clear that their actual
language was Lingala, an important native tongue.
A new way to spread the Gospel is in the off-line
sharing of the free on-line WEB- content, especially
where Bibles are forbidden ( Malaysia) or where DVD
players and Internet is not available; but very much
present are the Mobile Telephones. The Jesus film for instance can be shared within 2 minutes between two
telephones.
A nice testimony came from a sailor on the offshore tender Surfer 2606: he had watched the Jesus film at home
with all his relatives. Friends around the neighbourhood were also present. At the same time and in Gods time,
the outreach to the Asians on board continues . We can see more and more Chinese Malaysians taking an interest
in the Gospel. Most Malaysian Christians are from Sarawak and speak the Iban language. The people from
Western Malaysia are mostly Muslims and the Government is very strict there. However, an elderly Iban sailor
commented: “On our ship it is where Muslims come to Jesus!”.
Now it is of importance that Christians live according to the Word and to do this we encourage one another. Joel
who for ten years has been giving Bible studies, is also present here on board and is leader of the meetings held
after the 6-18 Watch. Also persons from the “Client” are present there. This is of great importance, because before
God we are all the same and so in the meetings where we come together in His Name, there are men from all
ranks and positions . Come to think of it, only under God’s guidance can this be done.
At the present moment the Balder is moored at the Caland Channel, west of Rotterdam. On board the Pipe-laying
installation is being installed/constructed again. It will take 7 months to realise this and extra personnel has been
taken on. Imagine, among these are old acquaintances of mine are fervent prayer-supporters who have held
prayer-meeting aboard the Hermod since 2014. Now they have set their minds on doing the same thing here. To
help them we quickly brought a box of Bibles, films and song sheets on board. Finding a place to meet is rather
difficult for the Management is not so in favour of Gospel meetings among the crew. But in someone’s cabin the
first meetings have already taken place. We also plan to take people to the meetings of the Fire Church in
Rotterdam on a regular basis. Our usual gathering for the
people on Watch after the 00-12 to 12-24 shift hasn’t been
planned yet.
As a last remark : the Christian witness to Western
unbelievers continues on, be it in a subtle way. In the Control
room for instance, on the PC screen we had playfully placed
some images referring to Joseph from the Bible. It was
meant to remind the people of the actuality of God’s Word.
The men here mostly have the idea that religion is just
traditional and ritual . I believe that in just sharing with people
that God created heaven and earth can be a means of
working the miracle of faith in someone. Our faith troubles
the average Atheist for he cannot gather how a highly trained
Nautical Engineer can become a believer. It keeps gnawing at his mind till (hopefully) a hole appears in the wall.
Michiel Kramers
Amsterdam
We can report about so many things that have happened but for reason that we must keep it brief, I want to only
write about three things that we have experienced. We received a phone call to come and visit a Captain. In order
to fulfil this wish Yvonne and I drove directly to this ship and the Pilipino Captain received us in a cordial way.
This captain holds a weekly Bible study for his crew. He mentioned that everybody is present then, except the
crewmen on duty.
We put him in contact with our colleague in Manilla on the Philippines, encouraging him with this. In leaving we
prayed for him. It was nice to also briefly meet a Rumanian sailor there. Because he didn’t have a Bible we were
happy to present him with one. That’s logical, isn’t!
Some days later we again received a phone call to
visit a ship. This time it was the First Officer
contacting us. Soon after we climbed the gangway of
this huge ship, a tanker. This Officer also was a Biblestudy
group leader, meeting with his colleagues. It
was good to have spent some time there allowing
us ample time to pray for and with a number of
seamen . With some we are still in contact.
On December 24 a church service was held in the
Seamen’s Centre in Amsterdam where also 8 coworkers
of our Port mission The Harbourlight were
present. The Hall was packed and it was great that
we could have a part in it. Many thanks for all your
faithful prayers and other tokens of fellowship.
Theo and Yvonne van Zuilekom
Rotterdam 2
It is with a grateful heart that we can look back on the year behind us. There are many reasons to praise the Lord
for. Reason No.1 is my new co-worker René Reifel
from Germany. He arrived last September to reenforce
our team. For years I have been praying for
this. We could use at least 10 full-time workers, for
every day around a hundred ships enter the port of
Rotterdam. Reason No.2 to be thankful for is my great
team. It is so great to work together with Wout de
Vries and other team members. We do the port
mission work as best as we can and God leads and
blesses us every time we visit the ships. Reason No.3
is the very successful Christmas-parcel-drive we held
last year. In 2014 we had the privilege to hand out
850 parcels. In 2015 this has risen to 1200 parcels!
This could be realised thanks to the help of many
faithful supporters in Germany and Holland.
Every parcel in not only a tangible evidence to show God’s love but is also a chance to further the Gospel. Also
in every parcel Christian literature is enclosed and in handing them out, we had some good talks.
On a large Container ship we had the opportunity to
present the Gospel to a First Officer from Greece. On
the same ship we met sailors from Zanzibar in
Tanzania. Another sailor, Isa, I had met before on
two different ships. When he heard we were coming,
he quickly came down the gangway to give me a big
hug. He has a New Testament in which he reads a
lot. On another big Container ship we talked for three
hours with two Muslim men. One was from Egypt and
the other one was from India. They asked us many
questions and we could explain the Gospel to them.
The Egyptian sailor joyfully accepted a Bible in
Arabic. Time and again God gives us such
conversations and meetings.
Not only to pass on the Good News but also to encourage believing Christians. On one Container ship we met a
young Philippino believer and he was so glad to see us. We sat there for at least 2 or 3 hours chatting and
answering questions. He was hungry for the Word of God and in the end didn’t really want to let us go. Another
encouraging story is about the Philippine Boatswain we met. It turned out he was at the point of joining the
Jehovah’s Witnesses. God used us to warn him and to put him on the proper path. He was searching for the Truth
and his heart was open for the Gospel. From the port of Rotterdam we wish you God’s richest blessing.
Felix Henrichs
Knitting Woollen Hats
Over the years there have been many industrious knitting ladies at work for The Harbourlight Port- Mission,
knitting woollen hats for the sailors. We receive all of them with a grateful heart. Now comes a short account of
two faithful and committed knitters:
Hello, we are a mother and a daughter ( together with our spouses) who are very much involved with the work of
Het Havenlicht, calling ourselves backstage workers. It is now ten years ago that we came in contact with the
Mission. It was an article that we read in the Visie magazine that caught our attention. I became ill soon after and
was just sitting at home and wanted to knit a woollen hat for charity purposes. The remarkable thing about it is
that it didn’t end with just one. My mother started to knit also and
others became involved by giving us the wool. After a while I didn’t
knit that many anymore for my health had improved and I developed
activities outside the house. But my Mum kept on and has been
knitting more than I ever did. We now can send more woollen hats
to the Mission.
Last year we sent off the one thousandth woollen hat! We never
thought that such a thing was possible but stitch by stitch and
woollen hat after woollen hat this was realised. We are so grateful
that this has been possible. What a privilege to serve God with what
we have, doing what we can. Our abilities to serve God are so varied!
Doing this knitting has been so encouraging for us through the years.
A woollen hat sent to Havenlicht is not just a woollen hat. No, it also prepares the way for the Gospel to be spread.
It not only warms one’s head, but one’s heart at the same time. After all, the heart is the most important: we can
have peace with God.
Something special notes about our woollen hats:
+ As far as we know not a single one that we knitted for Het Havenlicht
Mission has been the same- always there was a difference, be it in
colour, pattern, way of knitting or the kind of woollen thread.
+ these days we sew on every one an embroidered label with clear
symbols of the Gospel ( at least we try to). Should there be any other
person to try this, good on you! For we have not applied for a patent
+ On the one thousandth woollen hat ,we have made a special
embroidery in the form of a Lighthouse. This in honour of Het
Havenlicht Port mission and at the same time to show that God’s light
shines in the darkness.
+ There is much more to tell but no, then this report will be too long.
Together with God life can be good, no matter the circumstances.
What a blessing, what happiness! We wish everybody this realisation
of His nearness and peace ,with all our heart!
Amsterdam: Theo van Zuilekom wthvzuilekom@gmail.com
Yvonne van Zuilekom yhvzuilekom@gmail.com
Robbert Speelman r.speelman@me.com
Cruise Ships: Jan Best janbest.sr@gmail.com
Anneke Best annekebest@gmail.com
Jan Gooijer jan.gooijer@live.nl
Rotterdam: Felix Henrichs felix.henrichs@scfs.org
Wout de Vries woutdevries4@gmail.com
Beverwijk, IJmuiden: Jan en Anneke Best janbest.sr@gmail.com
Seafaring: Michiel Kramers m.kramers@hotmail.com
Translations,Wooden Crosses
Bottle Ships: Gerrit Huisman ghuisman@live.nl
Webmaster: Tom Hofkamp tomhofkamp@solcon.nl
Board
Chairman: Theo van Zuilekom wthvzuilekom@gmail.com
Secretary: Jan Best janbest.sr@gmail.com
Treasurer: Jan Gooijer jan.gooijer@live.nl
General, Addresses: Wim de Baat wimdebaat@gmail.com
IBAN NL71INGB0005545299 - BIC INGBNL2A
ANBI geregistreerd onder RSIN nr. 816655789 - KVK nr. 41023812
Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of theFather, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost Matthew 28 : 19

Gebruikers-avatar
Ton
BerichtenCOLON 2917

Re: Newsletters Het Havenlicht-SCFS

Berichtdoor Ton » Zo Jun 26, 2016 3:58 pm

With great joy we send you our newsletter no. 145 about the Mission amongst Seafarers from all nationalities.
Looking forward as usual, to hear from you!

Theo van Zuilekom

--
havenlicht@chello.nl
+31 36 5370340
www.havenlicht.com

=================================================================================================

Newsletter summer 2016 no.145
From the desk Once again, in the second Newsletter this year, you can read nice reports about the mission amongst sailors of every nationality. We are grateful for the co-operation of other missions, in particular Seamen’s Centre Amsterdam, Global Recordings Network (Gospel Recordings Netherlands), The Bible society, Pocket Bible League, the EAS and other organisations, which, in their calling , help us to do our Port mission work in a better way. Would you like to have more information in your church, fellowship or Bible Study Group and to learn more about Havenlicht Port Mission, we’ll be all too happy to come to you to tell you in an interesting way about this work, no matter how small your group is.
The IJmuiden Region A Bulk carrier with a cargo of coal from Australia has just entered port after being at sea for 59 days. On deck we meet a sailor from India; he is a Christian. He tells me he had come to believe in the Lord Jesus Christ by means of his Second Officer, also from India. He had told him about Jesus. This Officer proved to be the person who, on the 16th of May 2011, had in IJmuiden received from us an English Bible. He started to read in it from Genesis to Revelation and because of it, somewhere on the Atlantic Ocean, had accepted the Lord Jesus as his personal Saviour! This Second Officer in turn had passed on the Gospel of Jesus Christ to this Indian sailor during the long nightwatches in the Far East. This sailor now showed us a verse of scripture from Ecclesiastes 11:1,”Cast your bread upon the waters; for you will find it after many days.” After five years this truth has become a reality to us! On the photo you see Anneke singing “Salamat Sa I Oh” with the Philippine crew. On another Bulk carrier we give Bibles and biblical literature, etc. to the Philippine crew. The duty officer accompanies us to the car to take a bag full of clothing for his colleagues on board. He tells us that his wife is expecting the birth of their first child coming June. And in the month of October his contract terminates. Only then can he travel home. We really feel with him in this situation and pray for him, standing there on the dock with our feet in a pool of grimy black rainwater and coal dust. Again on another Bulk carrier. I am on my own this time, as Anneke is busy elsewhere. In the Mess room I explain to the men the reason for my visit. In the meantime I put some Bibles on the table together with CD’s with a Christian message and music from Global Recordings Network (Gospel Recordings Netherlands), all in the Tagalog language. At this moment the ship’s Master enters, speaking in the meantime on his I-phone. He calls out:”Wait, wait, can you start all over again?” It becomes evident that he is in contact with his wife and daughter in Manila ( the Philippines). I can clearly see them waving to me on the screen. Once more I explain the reason of my visit with also the people on the I-phone listening in.
I hand the captain a Tagalog Bible and ask him to read out loud Philippians 4: 6 and 7. From the I-phone’s speaker I hear voices of agreement. I finally pray for the families back home. After having said:”In Jesus ‘name we pray, amen”, I can hear from the I-phone a women in a small timid voice saying:”Amin,amin.” Immediately afterwards I realized that my prayers happily have a far greater reach, even into the universe, to the throne of the Almighty God in Heaven! Whenever we leave our house, Anneke and I pray to God to bring us to the right seafarers, namely the ones He already has in mind for us. On the deck of a Freighter nobody can be seen, not even a watchman. Strange, this is very unusual. The corridors of the crew’s quarters, the deck-office, the stairs : it all seems completely deserted. From the galley comes rattling sounds of pots and pans. There we meet the cook. “What nationality has the crew?” He answers: ”All Vietnamese”. We don’t often meet these type of sailors. When I ask if there are any Christians onboard, the cook answers: “All crew Buddhist, only me Christos. I believe Jesous Christos, no believe Mary, only Jesous!!!”. Quite moved by this confession we put our arms around this tiny Asian brother, realising this is a man upon whom the eye of the Lord rests ( Ps. 33:18). Not having the proper literature with us for him, we hand him a wooden cross and a DVD of the Jesus film, the version with also has Vietnamese subtitling. Our little brother then ”continued his way rejoicing”. Passenger Terminal Amsterdam: A brand new Cruise ship on her maiden-voyage with about one thousand crewmembers ( our target group ) and 2650 passengers. In the present season the ship runs cruises along the Norwegian coast with Amsterdam as homeport. We have with us a heavy suitcase ( on wheels), packed full of Bibles, CD’s with Christian music and DVD’s ; heavy as lead. With all my might I lift it up to place it near the Security Scan. In the over-crowded Mess room the contents of our suitcase have been given out in no time to the many crewmembers present. There is a real hunger for the Word of God. In the melee of people we try to look for the leaders of the Philippine and Indonesian Fellowships, also known as the crew’s church. After 10 minutes we are successful in finding them. Thank You Lord! The young Indonesian brother tells us that his group has around 50 members. His Philippino colleague-brother is leader of about 30 men and women. Every Sunday after working hours between 23.00hrs and 02.30 hrs, when the ship is at sea, they hold their meetings: singing, doing Bible study and praying together. The leader wants to give me an envelope with money. “could you please buy a guitar for us to support the singing?” I return the envelope, saying that they should use it for other purposes, promising that next week Sunday we will bring a guitar for them. That same night, in another place, Anneke gives a testimony about our visit to this ship to a company of fellowChristians. Later a lady taps her on the shoulder saying: “: I heard you telling about a guitar. I have one extra which you can have”. Doesn’t Scripture say that before we ask- God answers? That same week we were again offered a guitar and at the annual Havenlicht workers-meeting a third one was offered to us. Yes, the Lord provides for these his children. For sure, the eye of God is upon the followers of the Lord Jesus. With friendly greetings, Jan and Anneke Best.
Rotterdam 1 Benjie works on a small Sea-tanker. I know him. He has a wife and three children and studies hard for his “Official Papers”. At the end of the year he hopes to get his license for 2nd Engineer. This time he accompanies me from the deck to the Mess room. We are alone. He tells me things and I answer questions. Then I ask if it is right with him to have a word of prayer. When he nods we pray for him and his family. On a Containership I had a conversation with Dennis, a quiet seaman in his late forties. As we talk I tell him the story in the Bible of the healing of the woman with the issue of blood and also the story of the daughter of Jairus and how Jesus praises the faith of these people. On another day I meet Bob from the Philippines. We talk about his second name- Philemon- and what the Bible tells about this person. It is good to be here among the sailors. Then my mobile phone rings. It is a crewmember of the ship “Lapland “. They are leaving in a few hours to go out to sea, to an anchorage for an indefinite period. They’d love to have a visit before that time. The crew consists of Philippinos and Germans. After having been with these friends for a while, it is time to go home. With a thankful heart I get into my car. Wout de Vries.
Amsterdam This season we have spent less time on board the ships because I was “out of action”. This was due to an operation on both my eyes. I am happy to tell you that this is behind me now and again am able to encourage some sailors, blessing them and bringing them in contact with the Lord of the Word and in contact with the Word of the Lord. It is remarkable how many sailors crossed my path, in particular ones from Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, the Ukraine, Russia, Bulgaria, Rumania, Croatia, Serbia and Poland. An icy-looking Latvian captain “thawed out “ when I offered him a bottle ship, which resulted in an invitation to come again next time he’s in port. Crewmembers who were the most “open” were from Croatia and Poland. The Polish seaman wished to have one of the wooden crosses. At a ship with a complete Philippino crew, from the ship’s Master to the AB’s, I was welcomed on board in a kind way. The walk to the ship was a long one, taking me through an area full of obstacles. Arriving near the ship I had also to go over two flat barges in order to reach the wobbly, swaying gangway. But all was worth the trouble. I had good contacts there with the sailors and could hand out many things, even a thick coat (even when it was rather warm that day). But above all, I could share the Gospel with the crew. I experienced a great openness and spiritual hunger. On this ship too, I could make someone a present of a bottle ship and a wooden cross. In his cabin this person showed me where exactly he was going to place it. Through the “Social Media” I am still in contact with him. A hearty thanks for all your prayers and other means of fellowship. Theo en Yvonne van Zuilekom

Rotterdam 2 “If a brother or sister lacks clothing or food, and one of you tells him: go in peace, keep yourself warm, eat well, and then not give him any of these things which are needful to the body, what does it profit him? Even so faith, if it has no works, it is, in itself-dead. (James 2: 15-17).
The cook who wept. When we go out to sailors it is not enough to bring only the Gospel, especially when someone has a practical need in which we can help out. These two things belong together. On a big Containership I had a conversation with a Philippino cook who was obviously very worried. When I asked what was troubling him, he told me that he urgently needed to send money to his wife on the Philippines. But because of the huge amount of work onboard he could not go ashore. So I asked him if he trusted me to go and send the money instead. He started to weep and gave me the money together with the address. I drove to the nearest Money Gram location and sent the money to the address given to me. When I came back onboard with the receipt, the cook cried for happiness. “God has sent you to my ship today!” After that we continued our conversation and I could explain the Gospel to him. He gladly accepted a Bible.
A happy muslim.
I rather like visiting Muslim crewmembers. Often it is not hard to speak to them about spiritual matters. On board a great Containership I met various crewmembers from Zanzibar. These Zanzibaris are great hosts and they always welcome me aboard their ship whenever I arrive. Starting up a conversation with them is easy. In the Mess room I met Anwar, a young Zanzibari Steward. When he saw that I had a Bible for him in his language ( Swahili) he shouted for joy. “Is this really a Bible in my own language?” he asked. “I wanted for a long time to read the Bible, can I have this one?”. Of course I gave it to him. “Do you maybe have more books for me?”
I showed him our Bible correspondence course “The Bridge”. “Is this a book where I can study the Bible with? “ ,he asked. I nodded, showing him this was really so. ”Oh, how great, now I can study the Bible by myself”. A hearty greeting Felix Henrichs.

Between the Waves Floating houses of prayer, the offshore Crane ships.
After our departure from Congo the watches were scheduled in a different way and the large group no longer met for Bible study, for there was nobody who could take charge. So it became an item to pray for. But like my friend Joel, who has been praying for more workers in the harvest at sea since 2005, this prayer was unexpectedly answered, also during this period. Two fellow Dutchmen started a witness for the Word. This had an impact on the “hard-core atheists”. In talking about being witnesses of the Kingdom, we mean to be as a living written letter of Christ as it is so nicely documented in 2 Corinthians 3. On the ship the small meetings of our faithful group were “like a furnace” before God’s Presence. As for my trip home, it was rather a quiet journey. Be holy for I am holy. During my period of leave I visited our sister ship – Rotterdam, nearly every week, namely to pray with the evening shift, deep into the night. On this ship two Philippino Christians stood up as leaders. The peculiar thing was that these meetings were held in a shared space. On one side of the table the Chinese came to smoke and on the other side the game machines were all in action with racing and shooting on the “Terminator Salvation”. Hmm..reminded me of Matthew 24:14. The power of worship among us was so exceptional that I drove home singing that night and it was 4 am in the morning! Much earlier that evening, being tired and all, my thoughts had been: this I am not going to continue anymore. The organising of holding meetings on land failed, mostly due to the long and sometimes irregular working hours, the changing of the watches and the difficulty in communicating from a distance, notwithstanding the enthusiasm I sensed when I was onboard. Also this time the crucial thing is, when nobody takes the initiative, no meeting is started. It is like the ships here: they can go by themselves but in the practical sense there is a tugboat needed. We did have some visitors at our prayer meetings. One of them was René Reifel (scfs). Time has gone bye in the meantime and I have been aboard again for a week. There are some Malaysian Christians who are keen to give their testimony about the Kingdom of our Lord, telling how one can change by living the Word more and more. Furthermore, I hear many testimonies about families who watch the Jesus film every day and hearing it in their local dialect. Copies of this film have come to them from these ships. Michiel Kramers

You also can use this app in more than 6,200 languages, for free download on your smartphone and tablet.
Amsterdam: Theo van Zuilekom wthvzuilekom@gmail.com Yvonne van Zuilekom yhvzuilekom@gmail.com Robbert Speelman r.speelman@me.com Marien Gijsbertsen marchris@solcon.nl Cruise Ships: Jan Best janbest.sr@gmail.com Anneke Best annekebest@gmail.com Jan Gooijer jan.gooijer@live.nl Rotterdam: Felix Henrichs felix.henrichs@scfs.org Wout de Vries woutdevries4@gmail.com Beverwijk, IJmuiden: Jan en Anneke Best janbest.sr@gmail.com Seafaring: Michiel Kramers m.kramers@hotmail.com
Translations,Wooden Crosses Bottle Ships: Gerrit Huisman ghuisman@live.nl Webmaster: Tom Hofkamp tomhofkamp@solcon.nl
Board Chairman: Theo van Zuilekom wthvzuilekom@gmail.com Secretary: Jan Best janbest.sr@gmail.com Treasurer: Jan Gooijer jan.gooijer@live.nl General, Addresses: Wim de Baat wimdebaat@gmail.com
IBAN NL71INGB0005545299 - BIC INGBNL2A ANBI registered under RSIN nr. 816655789 - C.O.C. nr. 41023812 Contact: havenlicht@chello.nl -- www.havenlicht.com
Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of theFather, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost Matthew 28 : 19

Gebruikers-avatar
Ton
BerichtenCOLON 2917

Berichtdoor Ton » Za Okt 08, 2016 12:22 pm

04 Newsletter Het Havenlicht - SCFS 146

With great joy we send you our newsletter no. 146 about the Mission amongst Seafarers from all nationalities.
Looking forward as usual, to hear from you again!

Theo van Zuilekom

havenlicht@chello.nl
+31 36 5370340
www.havenlicht.com

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Newsletter autumn 2016 no.146
From the desk.
We are thankful to be able to tell you about the fine contacts and experiences we’ve had in the past summer
period.
If in your church, fellowship, house-meeting or group you would like to hear more about the many sailors coming
to our ports from all nations, we would be all too happy to call on you and come to speak to you about this work
in a captivating way.
Rotterdam 1
Elbert follows God.
Again and again it is of encouragement to me when I
meet somebody anew after so many years. In a port as
big as Rotterdam where daily more than a hundred
ships arrive, to me this is a miracle and can only be
explained by the Holy Spirit.
About four years ago I met Elbert Garcia on a Container
ship. He was still a rather young believer and didn’t as
yet have the courage to tell others about his faith.
During that time I was able to encourage him and be of
help to him. Two years later I met him again on a much
smaller Container ship. He had contacted me via
Facebook. It was great to fellowship with him,
challenging him to tell his colleagues about the Gospel
which, as a result of this talk with him, he started to do.
I have now the privilege to meet him every other week.
God had led me to his ship once more and it is just great
to see Elbert growing in his relationship with the Lord
Jesus. God is working in his life. He doesn't let go of
him.
With hearty greetings,
Felix Henrichs.
Region IJmuiden
On a large and very new Cruise ship which Anneke and I were privileged to visit in the Port of Amsterdam, we
were given all the necessary co-operation of the commanding Officers which we so needed .We experience
God's Hand in this, thus being able to reach the 1000 crewmembers with His Word! Every time we come aboard
we find two tables reserved for us in the crew's Mess room to lay out the Bibles and literature we have brought
with us.
Among the crew are two groups of Christians, mainly Indonesians and Philippinos, being from 80 to a 100 strong.
They hold the meetings to pray and worship, to sing and to do Bible study. This happens twice a week at midnight,
after work when the ship is at sea on its way to another port. During this visit we could make them happy with a
donated guitar to help them with the singing.
Also this Summer we could in fact hand out hundreds of Bibles in different languages including helpful literature
like CD's with Christian music and DVD's. On this enormous ship where "the world" is having a good time and
living a life of luxury, you will find that two decks of
painted steel lower down, there happens to be a
fruitful field for the Gospel of Jesus Christ. So many
men and women come to our tables to see us and
come for prayer as single persons as well as in
groups. Amidst the noise of a few hundred Asians
hurriedly eating their meal, being under the constant
buzz of the overhead Airco, we call out loud in the
Name of Jesus. The items we are asked to pray for so
often move our hearts. It can be for a serious illness
at home, marriage problems, unfulfilled wishes for a
child, deep longings to be with their families again. So
often Anneke and I also have tears in our eyes.
Aboard a British Cruise ship an Electrician comes to
us and asks us if we still recognize him.
As for me I only see one of the many Philippino sailors
standing before me, but my wife Anneke has a good memory and says: "you came to know the Lord last year and
was baptized here on board in the swimming pool!". Yes, she is right! Our friend tells us that, at that time, we had
prayed for his wife that she too would come to know
the Lord. He says: " You are an instrument in God's
hand because God has answered your prayers. My
wife has accepted the Lord as her personal Saviour in
the meantime!”. Thank you dear Lord.
Around noon I climb on board a huge Bulk carrier.
Anneke can't be with me this time. It does occur at
times but the Lord has his hand also in these things. In
the Officers Mess I see a few Philippinos sitting at a
nicely dressed table and realize it is the Captain and
his 4 Officers. I introduce myself and explain the
purpose of my visit at which the Captain invites me to
his table. An animated conversation starts between us
as colleagues and like-minded persons. I ask the
Captain to read Philippians 4: 6 and 7 and then I
explain the verses. "When you believe in the Lord
Jesus as your personal Saviour then you can bring
everything that is on your heart before God's Throne.
This does not guarantee an immediate solution to your
problem but what you do get is Gods peace in your heart".
The men present nod in agreement and the Captain, quite moved, says: "You and your wife are doing what Jesus
says in the Gospel". Thank you Lord for this confirmation! In the end, as I rise to my feet, I bring my wish forward,
namely to pray for them. The Captain motions his men that they too must rise. In the circle of my overseas
brothers , concluding this pleasant gathering, I pray for them all.
While aboard his ship in the IJmuiden port a Russian Third Mate tells us that yesterday he had become the father
of a daughter. Her name is Darina. We pray for his wife and little daughter. He is so touched by it and goes to tell
his wife that a Dutch couple had prayed for her and Darina.
A still young Polish Captain of a Cargo ship tells me that he only arrived yesterday for a new contract. We pray
for him in his office. This moves noticeably his heart. Relieved and encouraged he continues on with his
responsible task to take his ship with its crew and precious cargo safely to North America.
The Christian Fellowship among the crew of a Cruise
ship are presented with a Keyboard. It is a gift from
Het Havenlicht to use in their meetings. Great delight
and amazement for this unexpected gift. Half of a
Bulk carriers crew, 12 persons, are going on leave
tomorrow, including the Captain. Anneke suggests
we pray for them. The Captain summons all those
due for leave to come to the Recreation Room. I read
Psalms 121 ( a traveler’s song) and dwell on it for a
moment. Then, all standing in a large circle, we pray
for a safe journey home to have a nice vacation, also
mentioning the waiting family-members. We are glad
that we can keep on doing this work for Him, for it is
He who enables us to do it, opening doors for us.
With friendly greeting,
Jan & Anneke Best.
Rotterdam 2
Meetings in the port
What a surprise to see that, from a group of men one person
can be seen that reacts enthusiastically to the message that
Jesus is Lord. You get such an opportunity sometimes, just
like the one on the deck of this Oil ship. The greater part of
the crew is from the Philippines. There was this other time,
being together with a sailor called Chris. In our talk we
shared how immense the spiritual riches of God are. We
also read together in the Word about practical Christian life.
We now go to a Containership. Alexandro the Officer and
leader of a Bible group, isn’t available to see us now. It is
good to see the other Philippino seamen again and some
we recognize. Hilario is both Boatswain and a Christian.
There is also Domingo, the cook who told me last time he
sometimes believes and at other time he doesn't.
He now askes for a Bible for him to read for himself.
On a Bulk carrier my friend Ivan is due to leave in a few weeks’ time. Being a Bible group leader, he wants to
leave something behind for the crew. To the people of his group and other sailors he want to present them with
a Bible. Of course we will be all too happy to bring them aboard for him. Then we can get to know the rest of his
fellow sailors in the meantime. Ivan asks to pray for him, especially regarding his future.
On another ship a person asks me to wait in the Control room. Then I was asked what I had brought with me this
time. I showed him an English book titled: I dared to call Him Father. He decides to read it. It is a true story and
a testimony in itself.
I was grateful to see things happening aboard the ship at such a moment. God is still performing His Works!
Thank you for your prayers for the sailors about whom you've read in this report. Pray also for us as His witnesses.
Wout de Vries.
Between the waves.
News from the Offshore Crane ship.
Meetings at Rozenburg.( Photo).
While the Balder was in port at Rozenburg, the SCFS has given
a number of Bible studies. Things are happening onboard all 4
ships. While I'm writing this report I don't always know what is
going on onboard other ships, but on Facebook I can see photos
of the ships where I myself am not present. On the Balder God is
being worshipped in the live-music-room.
On the Bylgia (a tugboat) only a small crew is present and I visited
it during two hours. That day the Lord led me to the right contact
person.
We encouraged one another and I helped him with Gospel material in various languages.
Some months later a lonely Philippine steward was put to work on the Hermod. Now he together with some others
started up the 7 o’clock meetings again. During that same period a hose reel was badly damaged which brought
me in contact with the ship's carpenters. some weeks later the painters returned making of our meeting a trilingual
event with added musical talent.
I haven't been onboard the Aegir for two years, but the Philippine Bibles are still there. A Dutch Engineer, just
before the ceremony of Neptune onboard the Hermod, chose to become a follower of Christ. Now he is transferred
to the Aegir in Asia and could collect the Bibles that
weren't used anymore.
The Thialf was stationed for a few days close to the
Hermod. This is far out in the North Sea close to the
Platform Murchison which the Balder had installed in
1979. It is now being dismantled after many years of
faithful service. In the men’s quarters were still many
Bibles around. To us they were a testimony of the
people who had left them behind, being also a certain
treasure to them who had taken them along now. Yes,
people searched the men's quarters thoroughly on the
old Platform!
The large bridges we fixed to this Platform became "bridges of mercy" for meetings. There was a hunger for God's
Word, but also on the Thyalf. That surprised us. It
seemed as if no one dared to show their faith to another.
The Motorman on the Hermod became the Gospel
messenger when I was on watch and couldn't attend
the meeting myself. While we doing our rounds as
watchman on a Platform with water and flames
everywhere, to cut it in pieces, we brought Bibles,
Tracts, DVD's, Micro- SD cards and USB sticks to the
crewmembers of the Thyalf.. There was a particular
opportunity for a short time of prayer and
encouragement on the improvised benches in the
improvised Cafe. But in the meantime it doesn't exist
anymore.
Meetings on the Hermod
Concerning the quality of the meetings, we stay close to the Word
and are not afraid to discuss opposing statements, carefully
studying the context of the bible verses. I mostly take my
blessings and inspiration back onboard from my home-church
and other prayer meetings. It is astonishing however that things
can happen in reverse. For instance, a subject that we have
studied onboard and have prayed over, suddenly would come
back to me and be of inspiration to me in speaking in a meeting
ashore. Now we can see that God's Word is full of life!
The Hermod is to be moored up at the Keppel Verolme Yard the
coming days. It is later to be moved to the Caland Canal area, but
that will be next year. The crew has been reduced from 280 to a
mere 80. I am full of expectation what the Lord is going to do.
Michel Kramers.
Amsterdam
Lately we meet many sailors coming from so many nations, for instance: from Latvia, Lithuanian, Estonia, Poland,
Ukraine, Bulgaria, Rumania and Russia. We have
spoken to many of the seamen and sea women.
Sometimes when the conversation halted, a
souvenir bottle ship presented as a token of
friendship, changed gruffly hearts. We were able to
reach many with the Word of God.
Yvonne and I have been on a Portuguese ship with
a crew mainly from the Philippines and we were
received with a warm welcome and had a good
contact with them, especially with the cook. In a
jesting manner I always say that one always needs
to stay friends with the cook. This then opens the
hearts! we also spoke to a member of the crew who
is in charge of the weekly Bible study onboard. With
some members we are still in contact.
Aboard a huge Bulk carrier discharging coal we
found a complete Philippino crew. With some we could have a heart to heart talk and in the end prayed for them
as a group.
You could see tears coming to their eyes.
On another ships we met people from Ethiopia,
Georgia, Egypt, Denmark, Germany, Serbia,
Croatia, Belgium, Norway and the Netherlands. To
the Philippine sailors we were glad to be able to
hand out some good clothing we had received
from friends. We could also pass on beautiful
knitted woolen hats and jumpers, nice coats and
other warm items, mainly to Philippinos. They are
always so thankful for these items.
A hearty thanks for your prayers and other tokens
of fellowship.
Theo en Yvonne van Zuilekom.
You also can use this free app in more than 6,200 languages, to download on your smartphone and tablet.
Marien Gijsbertsen marchris@solcon.nl
Translations, Wooden Crosses:
Board
ANBI registered under RSIN nr. 816655789 - C.O.C. nr. 41023812

Gebruikers-avatar
Ton
BerichtenCOLON 2917

Berichtdoor Ton » Wo Dec 21, 2016 10:28 am

04 Newsletter 147 Het Havenlicht-SCFS

With great joy we send you our newsletter no. 147 about the Mission
amongst Seafarers from all nationalities.

Theo van Zuilekom
--
havenlicht@chello.nl
+31 36 5370340
www.havenlicht.com

=============================================================

From the desk.

Great things have happened again since our last Newsletter and we want to inform you about it by means of the
following reports. In the next articles you can read about our work among the international seamen. We would
also like to come to your church, house meeting or fellowship to show and tell you more about our mission
amongst seamen from all nations. We cordially invite you to contact us.
Region IJmuiden
The Cruise ships have left to go to much warmer climates like the Caribbean or the Mediterranean sea.
But during the whole year, also during Autumn, a constant stream of Cargo ships finds its way to the IJmond
ports. No longer amidst fancy glamor or grandeur, but now touches of grimy coal and ore dust cover our cars
during our ship-visitation. On the wharf-site, mandate is driving carefully between shifty forklift trucks and also
taking care not to be under huge pallets of frozen fish floating over your head.
But the sailors crewing these types of ships have our hearts. Often they are months on end at sea, steaming at a
slow pace to go easy on the bunker-fuel, thus gradually making their way from the other end of the world with as
destination IJmuiden. Sometimes ships are at anchor outside at sea ,waiting for a new cargo-contract. But more
important, they not only do have our hearts, also the Lord's heart is moved with and concerned about them. And
that is why we go and visit their ships, taking with us
Bibles and biblical literature and other items of support.
Anneke has prepared bags full of clothing. It is ready, well
cleaned, ironed and neatly folded. Woollen hats and
scarves are accepted with a thankful heart, especially
during the present season. I must say that at nearly all
ships ( 99% ) we receive a warm welcome. Not realising
it themselves maybe, the sailors in fact are receiving the
Lord Jesus in this way. In John 13:20 He says to His
disciples: “He that receives whomsoever I send, receives
me!” It is a great honour for us to be able to bring Him
aboard.
A Philippine sailor tells us that two weeks previously he
had become the father of a daughter. Only in June next
year will he be able to hold her in his hands. We pray for
him and his wife and his little daughter. The sailor keeps his eye on us for a long time after we leave the ship.
A Cape Verdian sailor stands shivering on deck of his ship and says: ”Do you have a warm coat for me? “ But of
course, try this one for size! ”With a happy face he puts on a winter coat donated by the Social Workshop. “Here
you are, a woollen cap as well, nice and warm!”. We could also give him a Bible and a brochure ‘a Letter for you’.
A Polish captain ( just like all 99% of the Poles he is Roman Catholic) has only been aboard for two days for a
contract of six months. Tomorrow his ship leaves for Philadelphia- USA. He shares his concern with us regarding
crossing the Atlantic Ocean, because of the heavy storms raging there. He tells us of his experiences in bad
weather with waves up to 12 meters high. Nearly every phrase he says ends with a firm ‘Jesus Christ’. I draw
his attention to this by saying that it is the name of the Son of God whom we serve. This takes him back a little
and he admits that he often speaks in this way without realising it. We let him read Philippians 4: 6 and 7 (...do
not be anxious about anything ... through Christ …) He understands. He quietly nods when I offer to pray for him.

So Anneke, he and myself are standing there hand in hand to bring this captain and his concern about the crew
and ship before the Throne of God. After the prayer he
weeps. He says: ”I am so glad to have had you people
aboard with me. Actually we should have been at sea
by now but because of the rain the departure has been
delayed”. Anneke says: ”This is God's timing, He
allowed it to rain in order for us to meet!”.
The captain is of the same opinion and accompanies us
to the gangway when we leave.
A Philippine Chief Engineer comes to us, being worried
and concerned about his sister-in-law, the wife of his
brother. She suffers from Leukaemia and she is not at
all well. Her husband ( his brother) who is also a seaman
had to quickly sign off from his ship to go and see her.
We pray for the woman and all others and encourage
our sailor friend from the Word of God.
A Russian captain from a so called Fish-carrier is
presented with a bottle ship from Gerrit Huisman. He is so surprised by it, telling us it will receive a place of honour
in his cabin. We also give him a Bible and let him read Philippians 4 in Russian. All captains, no matter what
nationality, are susceptible to these verses. In fact, they
show the way out for everything that burdens you. ( and
captains bear great responsibilities) These verses also
give someone the opportunity to relax.( the peace of
God in your heart.) The captain was so grateful for this
unexpected visit that he wanted to give us a bottle of
whisky. But this he can keep for himself.
We can tell of many other encounters in this Bulletin but
because of the limited space, we just leave it at this.
Leaves me with a last request ,dear readers. Lately
things are nog going well with Anneke's health.
Rheumatism is playing her badly. For instance, we went
to three ships yesterday but soon after she has to pay
the price for it. This night Anneke could not sleep
because of the pain in her feet and shoulder. Last week
the same thing happened. It is so severe that for the moment she is not able to visit the ports with me. Would you
please pray for her that this pain will leave her joints? We would very much like to continue telling sailors about
the Lord Jesus, Gods Son and Saviour of the world. Time is pressing.
Jan and Anneke Best.
Between the waves.
This winter we are staying in port. The ship is near to
being pensioned off. Never-the-less, structural repair
work is being done to it. Most of it is done by the shipyard
people. Groups of welders of unrecognisable
nationalities come in and out of the different openings of
the ship. There are only a few of the original crew present
now and it is quiet. Most of them work during daytime.
Among them is painter Joel, who takes care of the Bible
studies at the moment and also looks after a small group.
The gang of painters has been dismissed yesterday and
I'm not sure if they are coming back .
The Philippines among them have been given the
remaining DVD's, study books and calendars they
needed.

The last person on board from India who speaks Tamil, in leaving received from me a digital information stick on
which the whole Bible can be found in word and sound. It is from World Project.Org and is for use in India.
The room where we gather has received new loudspeakers but there are hardly any people left now. Still, it is
very blessed to be there even with just two persons to read the Word and sing some choruses. As to witnessing,
it has become more radical and the Western unbelievers have been very much confronted these last times with
us telling them that Gods kingdom is not of this earth. The gap between these two worlds is becoming larger and
larger. I had talks with people who had been believers but now not anymore, even with the certain signs of Gods
hand working on board. I think the reason for this is their personal choice against it ,which causes blindness. I
am sure their bulwark of half-truths and manipulations is wavering. By continually coming up against simple faith
one cannot just carry on without warning any more. For
they know this is the right attitude to life. I thank God for
this development and continue praying that people will
come to Christ. Just one more thing before I close: Soon
after finishing this report the Holy Spirit lead me out into
the night to do some outreach work ( the time before I
had spent in mission preparation). So I met this
Ukrainian brother ( a welder), full of Jesus. What
happened next? “Dobre Utro – where are you from?”.
“Sjto” Ï spoke to him in halting Russian. “How do you
know Russian?” “That is from God”. Some time later
after the break, I had a long conversation about Jesus
with a watchman. He was originally from Afghanistan.
The Truth of God’s Word really impressed him.
With hearty greetings, Michiel Kramers.
Amsterdam
After an effort of real climbing , thereby watching the steel steps leading to seemingly endless heights, I at last
stepped on board and found a room where just one
seaman was present, being busy behind some
computers. His greeting was particular: “How happy I am
that you have come. Now at last I have somebody to talk
to”. And of course, did we talk! He was a lonely seventy
year old Norwegian sailor being the only person who had
remained on board. He was so surprised when I gave him
one of our beautiful souvenirs, a bottle ship. “For me?” and
he pressed this present to his heart.
On another ship. ”Hallo, you surely must be the “pastor” of
the Seaman's Mission”. In this way an Indonesian
Technician greeted me enthusiastically when I arrived in
the mess room of a cruise ship. (I was wondering all the
while how he had figured this out so quickly). He invited
me to share a meal with him and put a plate of lovely food
before me and a good conversation got started. Also two
other crewmen took part in the conversation, being from India and Mauritania.
He had to laugh at my Indonesian words and accent when at a certain moment I had courage enough to speak
some. The striking thing was that this man lived not far from where my relatives had lived. I heard him tell his
Indonesian colleagues that my mother was born in the same village from where his family comes from. Now this
seaman and I had something “in common” so to say. A few days later I went to his ship again ( on appointment
actually) to give him the Alkitab, the Indonesian Bible which he wanted so much. There came tears to his eyes
and could only just manage to say thank you.
A group of Philippines at another place greeted me with the words: “Why did you only just come now. We have
been awaiting your arrival for some time”. This was on a huge ship. Just before leaving I was asked to come a
second time. When I arrived there some days later, I was welcomed again very heartily. It was a special moment,
being there with them.

They only had a 30 minute break, it being lunchtime.
The men listened attentively when I told a “Bible story”.
A few mentioned they were blessed by it. At the end of
our encounter I prayed for them. Quickly they asked me:
”Pastor, when do you come again? Besides many talks
of encouragement we could also hand out to the seamen
nice coats, pullovers, woollen hats and scarves.
On another ship the first thing the chief cook said to me
when I entered the kitchen:” I'm so glad you are here”.
He was going to be picked up within two hours to begin
his period of leave in the Philippines. The person
replacing him was also present.
After talking some they both asked if I would pray for
them. They were so thankful for what God had done for
them and was still doing. They appreciated very much
the Bible, calendar, DVD and the CD with special music.
Again we met people coming from many countries. To mention a few: there were sailors from Nepal, India,
Mauritania, Indonesia, the Philippines, Russia, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Poland, Rumania, Bulgaria, Norway,
Germany, China, Croatia and many others.
Thank you for your prayers and other tokens of fellowship,
Theo en Yvonne van Zuilekom
Rotterdam
Not so long ago when my wife and I were in the
supermarket where we usually do our shopping, I
happened to meet a Philippine sailor and we had a chat.
After paying for our groceries and on the way to our car,
he came running after me. “If maybe I could help him?”
Now what else could one we say but YES to this friendly
sailor called Joey. He wanted us to find a special shop for
him. We asked him to step in our car in order to find this
shop. Having arrived there we also helped the salesman
behind the counter in understanding what our friend
meant. With a happy smile on his face we drove back to
the supermarket.
He thanked us again several times and then joined the
group of Philippine sailors who had waited for him.
Some time back during one morning we were aboard a
few smaller ships.
They were what is called -under custody- and all
belonged to the same Company. We spoke with the Dutch
captain and some Officers and also with some men from
the Philippines. The attention and concern we showed
was much appreciated.
Also during the last period we had the privilege to present
to the First Officer of MV Pico Basilo a bottle ship souvenir
which, as always ,surprises people.
A conversation followed in which also participated some
other crewmembers.
All in all, it was a pleasant day spent there with colleague
Henk Huurman.

We came in contact with a Russian whose home was in the Ukraine . He said he belonged to a “religion of nature”,
being an Animist. But he liked talking to us. From his younger days he could still remember something about the
Christian faith. May God continue to work in his heart- his name is Alexander.
The Philippine leader of a Bible study group bears the name of Alexander and is Second Mate. He asked for
prayer. On board the same ship we met Nino, a young sailor who received his first Bible from us; he wanted to
start with the New Testament first. Also an seaman named Alberto was there. He wanted some answers to his
questions from us and it showed he was a sincere believer. “I have faith in the God who has given us His Son
and will grant to His followers all they need”!
The Lord leads us when we visit ships and we are aware He is “on board” much earlier than us.
We wish you a blessed New Year.
Wout de Vries

Amsterdam 2
Today, the ninth of December, I have the privilege to be Theo's apprentice and together we are going to the ports
of Amsterdam. I'm excited to know how everything is going to work out. Yvonne has done her best in preparing
the Christmas parcels and the car was stacked to the roof
with them. First of all we pay a visit the OBA port area,
the West-Port. The watchman at the gate and Theo seem
to know each other quite well and soon we are permitted
to drive on. The surroundings are so unreal to me.
Everything is on a large scale: mountains of coal
everywhere, huge cranes, big mobile shovels and
enormous ships. Compared to such a landscape we
humans are just so tiny and we need to watch our step.
We are lucky it is not raining, for now we are not bothered
by clouds of dust. On the quayside several Bulk carriers
are being unloaded. We visit two of them. As we climb
the gangway I'm not troubled by fear of heights.
Everything around me is high and tall and I am
comfortable being just small.
The first ship has a crew of 20 Croats. The second ship has a crew of 21 Philippines. The men are surprised by
our visit and the Christmas parcels are gladly received. Then some asked if it was all for free. Theo answers with
a nod and says: ”we give out these Christmas parcels
because we are Christians and also because the
Christmas season is nearly there. The Salvation and
mercy that Christ gives is also free”. Everybody nods in
agreement. As we take our leave from these men, we
pray for them and ask for a safe journey and also for a
blessing for those back home. Everybody thanks us
extensively and we leave the ship.
Now we drive to the other side of the port, the Westhaven
area where a huge Car carrier is moored. This ship is
brand new and now on its second trip. The ship belongs
to a Norwegian Company and has a crew of 20 Chinese.
Although there is a great activity on board because the
ship is due to leave in two hours, never- the- less, a
hearty welcome is given to us. The captain doesn't believe in Jesus but still, he is happy to see us. The Second
Mate tells us with a shiny face that he finally can go on leave and depart next week. In the mess room they bring
us a chair to sit down and here our Christmas parcels are being a very welcome surprise for the crew. They are
proud to sail on a new ship and we are shown around places to admire it. Soon after we take our leave again and
the captain insists that a picture be taken of us. Once back in the car we stop with our ship visitation programme
for all the Christmas parcels have been distributed for the day. We have done our work, the seed has been sown.
God may do the rest and that is our prayer. By the way, when a ship is “baptised”, you often hear the words: I
baptise you and wish you and your crew a safe journey. Today was my “baptism of fire” and I hope that I have the
opportunity to do this work many times over. Ships go under or finish up at a scrapyard and we as people also
die one day, but...”all that is done out of love for Jesus keeps its value and will for ever remain”.
A hearty greeting, Marien Gijsbertsen

Our huge thanks to all of you who continue to support the work in many areas so faithfully, and some of you do
this for many years in succession. Also, our deep thanks to: Dutch Seamen Society, Seamen's Centre
Amsterdam, Global Recordings Network, Ark Mission, Evangelism Foreigners Service, The Bible Society, Pocket
Testament League, Christian Aid Ministries, Operation Mobilization and other unnamed organizations, who are
all in their own specific way, contribute to do the job well.
You also can use this app in more than 6,200 languages, for free download on your smartphone
and tablet.

Board:
Contact: havenlicht@chello.nl -- +31 36 5370340 -- www.havenlicht.com

Gebruikers-avatar
Ton
BerichtenCOLON 2917

Berichtdoor Ton » Ma Mrt 20, 2017 1:23 pm

With great joy we send you our newsletter no. 148, about the Mission amongst Seafarers from all nationalities.

Theo van Zuilekom
--

havenlicht@chello.nl
+31 36 5370340
www.havenlicht.com

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Newsletter Spring 2017 no. 148
From the desk.
Many things have happened during the past period. There were good experiences but also difficult ones
concerning health problems. We are happy with everyone interested in our Mission and for that matter: I want to
thank all the supporters for the financial backing. Every Euro will be spent on Gospel material. Also in 2017 we
will see to it that it all reaches the sailors praying in the meantime that it will be used of God to touch their hearts.
A well meant –thank you – also to the faithful knitters of the woollen hats and those collecting warm clothing. Yes,
it all counts. On the Web-site you’ll find our financial statement as to the year 2016. Also we would appreciate it
very much to be given an opportunity to speak in your church, young people’s youth group or fellowship. We’d
like to tell you about our work among the international seafarers. Just contact us.
Between the waves.
floating house of prayer.
Here is my report from the vessel Hermod staying in
the port of Rotterdam. We spent mainly the whole
winter season in Rotterdam. Being part of an 84 hour
working schedule here, there is not much time left to
go elsewhere, for instance to a fellowship meeting.
On board things are more quiet than usual due to a
smaller crew. But that does not stop us from having a
Bible study meeting three times a week. It is good to
have Gray back with us, who is quite good at playing
the guitar. The day-shift in which most Philippino’s are
engaged, had friends from the W.I.N. visiting them, a
Philippine Port Mission, and this strengthened their
faith.
From time to time testimonies from Asia reach us,
telling that large groups of people had been watching
the Jesus film. This film had been passed on to ex crewmembers who had been on board here with us. They had
all been provided with a DVD or micro-sd card. Some
we even mailed to them without difficulty. This can be
done within two minutes with Apps like “shareit”. Our
“World Outreach” collection has been enlarged with
material from WordProject.org. Concerning the
capacity and speed of the SD memory card, I’m
amazed about the development and technical
knowhow. To me it can’t go fast enough and at the
moment it is already 512 GB!
A special moment was the unexpected encounter with
a Russian welder at the yard. I felt led by the Lord to
look for that special group of welders: I had to tell them
about the Gospel. When we met, the little Russian I had
learnt at the Naval College came in handy. After the
traditional greeting-with-a-blessing one of the group
literary jumped up and talking with him under the
gangway later, before the coffee break, the light of the Gospel started shining in his heart.
In closing I want to tell you about the inter-action with the hard-core unbelievers. It is a sport actually to keep
discerning good from evil here in a climate where one word about Jesus already bothers people and is an
unpleasant sound to them. In their conversation here you can hear people speak appraisingly of lewdness, of
being drunk, about money and cheating. They even defend it as being normal. In the Bible the prophet Isaiah
clearly speaks out on this process and the outcome of it: “Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put
darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter”. ( Is.5:20). My hope is stayed
on what the apostle Peter writes in 1 Peter 2 :12.....”maintain good conduct among the Gentiles, so that in case
they speak against you as wrongdoers, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day of visitation”.
With hearty greetings, Michiel Kramers.
Amsterdam 1
Dear friends, the last time I wrote a report for the News Bulletin I was in a privileged position, namely walking by
the side of Theo, my coach during ship visitation. In the
meantime my apprenticeship with him has finished and
now I visit ships on my own. No easy task, but I am
conscious and certain of being dependant of my
Sender, who brings me every time in contact with the
right persons.
In the beginning of the year calendars are much sought
after. All the more when, like sailors, you spot one in
your own language. When I told a Philippino sailor I had
a calendar for him in his language, he answered rather
bluntly : ”No Sir! On board this ship no pornographic
images; strictly forbidden”. It was a good thing that I
could quickly explain that on this occasion this was not
the case and he accepted one in a friendly way. The
man’s attitude however made me wonder who the
captain might be. It proved to be a captain owner, living
in the Veluwe area of Holland. He is a Christian and
every Sunday he holds a church meeting orthodox
style. My Tagalog Bibles then will sure come in handy
and the men gladly accepted them.
I board a large Bulk carrier. The ship is near to discharging the
last of its cargo and that must be the reason why the gangway is
now so steep. After a long climb I finally reach the deck,
breathing hard and I introduce myself to the Croatian watchman
Nicolas. He is very happy with my “special “ dollar bill. These are
fake ones and on the back the Gospel can be read in fine print.
All the seamen I meet love these dollar bills and they often help
me to start a good conversation. Nicolas waves me on and I go
to the mess room. This is the living room of the ship but there is
no-one there. Then I make for the Bridge . The Bridge of this ship
is very impressing, being huge and spacious. Way at the back
the captain sits at a table. It looks as if he’d had a rather boring
time for he is quite happy with my arrival. I am offered a cup of
coffee and a chocolate bar. The captain is from Croatia and
starts telling me about the history of his country.
He also informs me about the present political situation. Now that
Croatia has become a member of the European Union, it is
particularly hard for older seamen to earn a decent living. The
captain, it proves, is not a Christian, so I give him a special
Gospel folder in Croatian and then briefly explain what the Lord
Jesus means to me.
In leaving he made me promise to look him up again next time his ship is in port.
One evening, on behalf of a far-away colleague port-missionary in Canada, I visit a particular ship that had arrived
from Canada via Russia and now had docked in Amsterdam. Because it was night time at that moment, the sight
around me impresses me more that the view in daytime. I am amazed at the artificial light illuminating the whole
area! Once aboard, I notice that the crew is as diverse as can be, with men coming from Sri Lanka, Egypt, Poland,
Turkey, Togo, Bulgaria, the Maldives and of course those from the Philippines. In the mess room I spread out my
Gospel material and out of curiosity the men are soon standing all around me. I’m glad to have tracts with me in
so many languages and people react gladly when they have recognised one in their own language. After most of
the men have left, the Chief Engineer, a Philippino,
comes and sits with me at the table. He proves to be a
well-read man and seems quite up to date concerning
spiritual matters. He is critical in posing his many
questions. I myself can’t answer some of them either
and I am frank in telling him so. But we end up in a good
conversation and in leaving I pray with him. He
appreciates this, asking me if I could visit him again
when his ship is in port. I promise him that, realising at
the same time that my list of such ships becomes even
longer now.
With 5 Chinese seamen I step into the car to go to the
supermarket. They want to go shopping and are very
happy to be ashore, after a long time on board. They
are surprised that the Netherlands is so very clean, they
say literally; "Everything here looks very durable". I'm
just wondering how I can turn the conversation to Jesus, a Chinese sailor suddenly asks me whether I
"accidentally" have a Bible for him. Great was his surprise when a Chinese Bible was waiting in the boot of my
car and also a Chinese DVD about the ark of Noah, build by Johan Huibers. When the flood was there, eight
people were saved by the ark. The Chinese character for ship or boat contains the term: floating, family members
or mouths but also the number 8. Can that be a coincidence? Back on board, I offer the Chinese captain also a
Bible and tell him, as he uses a compass at sea to determine the right course, the Bible shows the right direction
in my own life. The captain appears to be an atheist but accepts friendly and polite the Bible. What he will do with
it I do not know but I hope and pray that he will read in it.
The primary aim of our port mission work is to proclaim the Gospel among the seafarers but also to be of
encouragement to the men who are already Christian. There are lots of arguments, some even very logical, not
to do this work. But I believe it is good for me to do this work. And as an extra, my faith becomes stronger through
it. My spiritual character is being formed by it and in that sense I am grateful to be able to do this mission work,
together of course with other Harbourlighters!
Cordial greetings, Marien Gijsbertsen
Regio IJmuiden
Our home church has given us a gift coming from the church collection. It is to procure items for the Christmas
parcels for the sailors. With this money Anneke has bought towels, warm socks, T-shirts, shampoo, toothbrushes
and toothpaste and enriches the parcels with some sweets and a calendar with Bible verses as well. And so it
happened that we, at the end of the year, drive to the ports with a car full of parcels. Apart from these parcels we
also hand out the usual Bibles and biblical literature. All the sailors appreciate this gesture very much, for in this
way extra attention is given to them in their already grey existence, for this is the darkest season of the year.
When we arrive on a great Bulk carrier laden with coal the Philippino crewmembers are shivering in the freezing
cold. The bag with knitted woollen hats and scarves is empty in no time. Some thick winter coats soon find their
way around fragile Asian shoulders. “...I was naked and you clothed me”. When the Christmas parcels are being
unpacked, they are greeted with loud shouts. It is a gleam of light in their monotonous existence. We felt privileged
to be able to hand over biblical literature in the Philippine language. In the mess room we stand in a circle and
pray with 12 people.
A small Russian Fish carrier has been tied up at the Velsen port for weeks. According to the captain his company
is in financial difficulties and therefore the crew cannot be paid.
We are of some help to them by giving them Christmas parcels.
We also pray with them.
On board an English passenger ship. It is on an “out of season”
Christmas cruise, now calling at the port of IJmuiden. Here we
meet some old acquaintances among the crew. In the mess
room we stay for over two hours, sitting together with some
crewmembers. Without planning it, it just turns into a bible study
gathering. The Airco is very loud and therefore it isn’t always
easy to make oneself heard among the Philippino brothers and
sisters. But the Lord gives wisdom to answer the many
questions. Many take notes of our answers. Bundles of
Christian literature find their way into the hands of hungry souls.
Since a while now we also distribute “25 favourite stories of the
Bible”. It reads like a children’s Bible with its many pictures.
Many of the crewmembers take them home to give to their
children. At the end we pray for each other. Some accompany
us to our car parked at the waterfront. We say goodbye to one
another with loving hearts. Even though we are tired, we drive
home with a grateful heart and notice it is getting dark quickly.
On a Chinese Bulk carrier the captain welcomes us when we enter his quarters. The Bible offered to him is not
accepted. He tells me he is a member of the Chinese Communist Party and therefore the Bible to him is a
forbidden book. Then Anneke asks him straightforward: ”When you die, where do you go?” The captain hadn’t
expected such a direct question and only stammers some words in English we do not understand. To bring the
conversation back to a more comfortable level we talk some about his responsibility of having to make difficult
decisions in the various situations. We let him read Philippians 4:6 and 7. It is about letting your requests be
known to God. Anneke hands him a plastic card with –The Lord’s Prayer- . The captain looks at it with a stern
face, nods to us and replaces the card in the pages of Philippians. Then he puts the Bible in the drawer of his
desk. Our prayer for him is that God may lead him to Himself and to the Lord Jesus. The crew also asks for Bibles
and of course we hand these out to them as well as CD’s and DVD’s with the Jesus film according to Luke.
Since the 18 th of January this year our ship visitation program has come to a halt. The reason is the health
situation of Anneke. Apart from suffering from
rheumatism, she now is plagued by severe dizziness.
She can hardly stand upright because of it. The climbing
of gangways is therefore impossible and I can’t leave
her by herself at home either. All these circumstances
are forcing us to stay home. For the moment the doctors
at the hospital are doing research on her behalf and it
will take some time before we hear of the results. In the
meanwhile we ask your prayers for Anneke to get well
in order to take up her task again. The fields are white
unto harvest and the workers are few.
A last news item. I regularly send my home-made little
sermons by e-mail, in English, to a Philippine sailorbrother
who in turn uses them to do bible study with
fellow crewmen aboard his ship. Not long ago Anneke
and I were sitting on the couch one Sunday morning. For
reason that Anneke is not well, we cannot attend the church meeting. We had prayed together and had celebrated
the Lord’s Supper after which we prayed, bringing all our questions and worries before the Throne of God. At that
moment we heard the signal from our I-pad going off, meaning an incoming mail. It came from a seaman-brother
from his ship sailing in the Pacific between North China and the eastern coast of Australia. He mailed us saying
that he was ready to go to bed for it was Sunday night there. (11 hours difference in time). He wanted to let us
know what had happened earlier that evening when he had held his Bible study course with 11 fellow seafarers.
During that night all eleven crewmembers had given their hearts to the Lord Jesus! Praise the Lord. To Anneke
and me this message was a real encouragement direct from the Lord! He doesn’t let go of us.
With friendly greetings, Jan & Anneke Best.
Amsterdam 2
Many are already waiting for us to come aboard. Often we hear: ”Why didn’t you come sooner?” But things are
like that, they never know when you are coming and
neither do we in fact. It happens sometimes that we visit
sailors after an appointment or upon special request.
Then you see happy faces when they watch us climbing
the gangway and we hear: ”we are so glad you have
come”. Then, in one case and before you are aware of
it, you are served with a plate of nice food. Even when
you protest saying: ”I haven’t come for food but to bring
you food!” That is namely the Bread of Life. It brings to
my mind what happened once: I was served a big fish
and it was expected of me to eat all of it. In the end only
the fish’ head remained and some of its bones as a
silent witness to a good appetite and the cook with
glance of appreciation cleaned the table. Obviously I
had made a good job of it with the crewmembers
looking on. I still remember we had good conversations
afterwards, encouraging the crew in this way and
having many chances to point to the Lord Jesus. On
another ship I remember a Philippino. He had a worried
look on his face. Later he came down to the car with me to receive a Bible and some edifying literature. He had
left his Bible at home namely. I presented him with a
souvenir bottle ship. “For me?” he asked in
astonishment. The wooden cross I gave him he would
hang up in his cabin. Had he looked rather cheerless in
the beginning, now he went back to his ship with a radiant
face.
On board an extremely high ship, so it felt when I was
going up the seemingly hundreds of steps, I finally
reached the bridge though, out of breath. I wanted to
speak to the Canadian captain but I also found other
crewmembers there with him, also from Canada. How
nice to see that a calendar is always appreciated. Having
spent some time with them I finally took courage to go
back that long way down. Halfway down the stairs I
realised I had forgotten my safety helmet. Not at all
wishing to turn back, I just cleared my throat and called
out to someone that I had forgotten my helmet. Soon
after a grinning sailor came along to hand it over. With a
thankful heart I descended the last steps.
Many nicely knitted woollen hats, warm coats, jumpers, shoes, scarves, socks, gloves and many more good items
found their way to grateful sailors. Also to our hearts it brings great joy! The Russian captain on board his ship
was rather open to what I was telling him and he accompanied me down to the car. He was surprised when I
handed him a souvenir bottle ship. Sometime later I visited this ship again. All in all I have met seafarers coming
from Russia, Poland, The Philippines, Rumania, The Ukraine, The Netherlands, Greece, Canada, England,
Bulgaria, Lithuania and Latvia.
Thank you for standing with us and warm greetings! Theo and Yvonne van Zuilekom
Rotterdam 1
One day in the Port of Rotterdam.
In the small dining room of a ship, an Indonesian sailor, (not the youngest anymore), kept looking at me with a
serious face. His name is Jopie. For some time now he had been bothered by certain questions. Jopie wanted to
understand why “things came to be”? I try to answer his questions as well as I can, coming at it from several
angles, striving to answer him from what the Bible reveals about it. I tell him about the seed and the sower. He
writes things down so as not to forget it later. One of the scriptures we read together, is: ”if we confess our sins,
he is faithful and just, and will forgive our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness (1 John 1:9) We could
look back on a nice time , as brothers and I hope to meet him again next month.
On a next ship I chance to meet Ronie from the Philippines. We’ve met before. Ronie tells me he has completed
the course The Bridge. He wants to tell me lots more but time is running out and I quickly hand him some fine
Christian literature. This day should be the start of his
furlough, the day to go home. But his replacement
hasn’t arrived yet. He simply has to wait for him.
Somewhat further on a container ship is moored to the
quay. There in the galley I find the cook who asks for
my advice. In his own spare time he needs to travel to
an Agency in The Hague. I try to figure it out for him,
looking it up on a tablet, and noting it all down for him.
On deck I talk to another seaman about 2 Corinthians
5:7 and other scriptures that give us information
concerning our stay on earth. Next is a visit to a ship
with sailors from Sri Lanka. The First Officer (and some
standing nearby) all marvel at the souvenir bottle ship
I pass on to him. He really appreciated this gesture and
finds it very special. Later on they all receive the CD
called: Words of Life in their language. I also had a nice
chat with someone else on board.
In another port area I could leave some nice Christian literature with a crew from Indonesia. Here also it was my
privilege to give a DVD and some booklets about the Word of God. It is good to remember that some ships can
be visited again when they call in at Rotterdam and that friendships can be renewed . So I am looking forward to
meeting them.
With cordial greetings, Wout de Vries.
Rotterdam 2
We were so content as a group to be on our way to
the ships in Rotterdam. Our aim was to make the
sailors happy with Christmas parcels. It was all made
possible thanks to the support and help from brothers
and sisters in Germany and Holland. But our joy was
nothing compared to the happiness and gratitude that
the sailors demonstrated! How it opens the hearts of
men when they receive a Christmas parcel. The men,
being far away from home, celebrating Christmas
without their family and relatives. Nobody chooses to
be in such a situation. Then you arrive in a country
where nobody knows you. But then you suddenly hear
a voice over the radio saying: ”The Port Mission is on
board and has parcels for you!”. How these people can
get exited- unbelievable!! It is very important to realise
that in each parcel an envelope is to be found with
good Gospel material in it. Yes, in each parcel the
Gospel is included. Thanks to your contribution and
help , in this way, we could reach 1600 people with the Gospel. Almost on all ships it also provided us with an
opportunity to share the Good News with individuals and even with groups. We passed on nearly just as many
Bibles as parcels!
On a certain Container ship two Egyptians accepted a New Testament and listened attentively to the Christmas
message. A Hindu person wanted to see me and asked if he could have a Bible. A highlight during that time was
when we boarded a small containership moored at the Parkkade in Rotterdam. I had two of our children with me,
Jakob and Emilie. In their group at school they had made parcels for the sailors. On this ship were 14 people and
we had exactly 14 parcels with us! The men from Russia and the Philippines hadn’t seen their families for 6
months. I could explain the Gospel to 8 men and everyone wanted a Bible. As for the children, to them it was
quite a happening. One Philippino said with tears in his eyes: ”God is very happy that you did this for us”.
In closing I must say that all of this was only possible because of you, dear friends, helping us.
Thank you so much! Felix Henrichs.
Our huge thanks to all of you who continue to support the work in many areas so faithfully, and some of you do
this for many years in succession. Also, our deep thanks to: Dutch Seamen Society, Seamen's Centre
Amsterdam, Global Recordings Network, Ark Mission, Evangelism Foreigners Service, The Bible Society, Pocket
Testament League, Christian Aid Ministries, Operation Mobilization and other unnamed organizations, who all in
their own specific way, contribute to do the job well.

We would like to ask specific prayer for the health of the coworkers and the continuation of the work.

We are very thankful to God for the many opportunities to be a blessing for seafarers!

Thank you for your faithful prayers and other ways of contributions to the work. We appreciate that very much!

You can also
use this app
in more than
languages, for
free download
on your
smartphone
and tablet

Board:

Contact: havenlicht@chello.nl -- +31 36 5370340 -- www.havenlicht.com

Gebruikers-avatar
Ton
BerichtenCOLON 2917

Berichtdoor Ton » Di Jul 11, 2017 10:55 am

With great joy we send you our newsletter no. 149, about the Mission amongst Seafarers from all nationalities.

Theo van Zuilekom

--

havenlicht@chello.nl
+31 36 5370340
www.havenlicht.com

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Newsletter summer 2017 no.149

From the desk. Sometimes people ask us what the letters SCFS behind the name Het Havenlicht, stand for. In the year 1991 Het Havenlicht Port mission became associated in a sound way with the English sister organisation Seaman’s Christian Friends Society. Since then we bear the name Havenlicht/SCFS but still carry within this bond our own structure and responsibility. We would very much like to tell about this fine work among sailors of so many nationalities in your church or fellowship. We would appreciate it when you would contact us about this matter.

Region IJmuiden In the winter edition of our Newsletter I informed you about the health situation of Anneke. For some years now she is severely troubled with rheumatic pains and the malfunctioning of her thyroid gland. Last January another problem arose, namely trouble affecting her equilibrium. The latter now makes it impossible for Anneke to climb the steps of the high gangways in order to get on the ships. She often feels very dizzy like as if she is seasick. Never the less, we tried to call on some ships to visit the crews but it proved to be too dangerous. I can’t undertake this work on my own for it means leaving Anneke by herself for half a day. She might get in trouble again. We experience this work among sailors as a work of God that He has called us to do and over the last 11 years have seen this being blessed and being confirmed in the effects it has had. This port mission work has captivated our hearts. So many possibilities are open to us in this area. However, due to the present ill health of Anneke we have temporally put a stop to ship visitation. We do not understand what the reason to all this is. The fields are “white unto harvest” but one of the workers is suffering from an illness with the above mentioned consequences. Certainly a reason to ask for your prayers, pleading with the Lord of the harvest. We are so willing to go! With friendly greetings and may God bless you in the bonds of Christ our Saviour. Jan & Anneke Best.

Between the waves Offshore North Sea Campaign – 2017. The ship has its full crew again with sub-contractors, many coming from the UK and the USA. The first meeting with believers from Malaysia and the Philippines was quite successful with men praying for the whole crew. Time will tell. On deck, behind a container I spotted the soles of two shoes. “Are you praying? “Oh, I often pray”. In this way I made contact with the Americans. They knew there was a church fellowship on board. Knowing this comforts people. God is present here. “Jesus gave his life for you so that whosoever believes in Him will not perish but have everlasting life.”

Inside the coffee accommodation. It is full of British scaffolding workers. The Word was presented and nobody could deny its meaning. Be invited! The next day on a cold morning on the rusty remnants of what once was England’s greatest Oil platform, a lively face showed up between the collar of a raincoat, revealing a helmet and safety glasses: ” I visited the tomb where Jesus was”. Now. Five years later, the light starts shining for him again, a passion for the living God. Overjoyed with a Bible he could hardly wait for the next meeting to give his testimony to the startled scaffolding workers. God prepares hearts. Telling about Christ’s finished work on the cross touched other people as well. A Scottish hydro-blaster at first couldn’t bear to hear the word of God at all. Nor the fact that I, being an engineer, could be a believer. But in the end he went ashore with a smile, having heard the name of the Saviour again. Another person from Britain had barriers within himself that held him back from church. I felt the urge to simply say to him : “are you sitting inside these barriers or outside”. That struck home. Finally, at the end, I heard from one of his colleagues that his life had changed. On face book appeared messages from colleagues. It proved there was a prayer meeting on of the two other ships ( see the photo made in the ship’s lounge). This is the ship where my adventure started. Many Bibles were distributed and teaching material from GRN ( 5 fish) and films via smart phones and other means. Often a demand comes to us from a pastor at Sarawak ( via crewmembers) for English Bible material. Herein I can help him by taking some from the ships stock of gospel material. Time has gone by in the meantime. We work for 5 weeks and then go home for 5 weeks. We now have a big group when we are on our tour of duty. A group that gives the Word a warm place in their hearts. Having read Martin Otto’s book about port mission work, I now frankly dare to call the meeting we have here a church. One must be frank in this otherwise it only hinders one’s view. It is true that nobody before actually cared for or felt any responsibility on board as to being a proper member of the body of Christ. With hearty greetings, Michiel Kramers.

Amsterdam 1 Since December 2016 I visit ships on a regular basis, working under the auspices of Het Havenlicht in the port of Amsterdam. Also, since writing a report in the last Bulletin, I have become even more enthusiastic and am beginning to see the necessity of this work. In spite of all our technical progress and rules to bar out the risks, the profession of seaman still holds the record of being one of the ten most dangerous jobs in the world. And remarkable also is the fact that suicide is the No.1 cause of death among seafarers. Not by drowning or other industrial hazards. This shows that spiritual stress or need aboard ships is very evident. I experience it so often that a crewmember in an almost exaggerated way reacts to my arrival aboard. So happy are they for the fact that someone has taken the trouble to come to look for them. Oftentimes I feel like a tourist when they give me a guided tour on the bridge, including an extensive explanation about the different types of compasses they have. Seamen from Asia also like to have their picture taken with me because I am rather big. Port mission work, as a mission, has become a near to forgotten area of service. Of course, it is one of the oldest forms of mission work, and in maritime circles it is generally well recognised but to the many people I mix with, it is still an unknown form of mission work . To some at the same time it is an eye-opener: mission work at one’s doorstep is very well possible. Many sailors are coming from what we call the 10/40 window. This is an area where still many people have no knowledge of the gospel. Especially in these regions are many conflicts where it is impossible or hardly possible to do mission work.

In this region are many countries which score high on the list of Open Doors, ( a mission) where Christians are persecuted and missionaries are not welcome. Just by the means of port mission people coming from these countries can be reached with the Gospel. Only just recently I experienced this myself. After that a Bulgarian Officer had shown me, without any misunderstanding about it, that he had no need for my visit, I felt very insecure and uncomfortable. The crew on this ship counted different 12 nationalities with 5 different religions .To maintain peace and quiet aboard his ship, “vendors of religion” were not welcome. Sometimes you have great chances, other times none. Seen from the perspective of this Officer, I could somehow share his point of view. Still, a conversation with him got started and we talked some about his church. Just on the point of leaving his ship, a dark person with a huge crop of hair comes walking towards me. “Hello sir, how are you, who are you?” we start talking and it proves that this man comes from a country closed to all missions and I could give him a St Luke gospel in his own language. It was also his lucky day for I could help him to some good clothing for apparently he wasn’t dressed up for the ship’s next destination: Russia. With this gift the deed and the Word came together! The ship’s visit started in a bad way but luckily ended well. I hope to meet this man again one of these days. My brother in law, he is from Paraguay, is curious as to what port mission actually is and decided to come with me to the ports. That day we had very good weather and it is good to have company, for normally I am on my own. A setback is that my brother in law can’t speak English. Spanish is his mother-language so we hope this day to meet some Spanish speaking sailors. It is a busy day and we visit many ships where we meet people from China, the Philippines, Russia, Ukrainians and Albanians. To our regret no Spanish speaking sailors. That day I experienced a great liberty in speech and had more chances than I normally have in telling about the gospel and praying with my sailor friends. So it was a good and also a happy day. Tired and content we drove home. Even though my brother in law didn’t take part in the conversation with the sailors, he said: ”every time you started talking, I started praying”. Now comes to my mind the verse that is written in James5:16...”the prayer of the righteous man has great power in its effects...!” In our work as port missionaries we can completely bog down through all kinds of practical issues but prayer must be first and foremost. Would you, dear readers of this Bulletin, unite with us in prayer? Hearty greetings from Marien Gijsbertsen Amsterdam 2 In this Bulletin we only report about a few of our experiences. There are many more. On the ships I noticed an increase in activity. “We are so pressed for time!” Many captains shared this with me. But never the less, everybody was thankful for our visit. On board one ship the heating system had broken down, just during a very cold period. Only a day before we had received a large bag with many items, warm coats and jumpers. Shoes and knitted woollen hats. And were the men from the Philippines happy to put on something warm!! But also we were also able to serve them in bringing the Gospel. This always has our priority. Apart from the many talks we had with them, many Bibles, calendars and other literature were passed on to them, as well as CD’s. All of this in the sailors own language. The Philippine steward on one ship made his way among the men directly towards me when spotting me. He told me this was his first ship and first contact with me. He was so thankful for meeting me: he was the only Christian on board and we had an encouraging conversation. The Russian captain on another ship was very friendly and open to my message for him and his crew. That was outstanding!

Surrounded by some crewmembers from South Africa, the Ukraine and the Philippines I held my talk. I decided to give the captain a bottle ship souvenir and the Cook received one also. An Ukrainian seaman received a wooden cross. All of these gifts were craftily made by our co-worker Gerrit Huisman. Two Officers from Lithuania were much surprised by our visit and were so all the more when I came aboard a second time a few days later. That time I had to actually search for them for they were way below in the engine control room. I finally arrived there, taking many awkward steps on those steel grated stairs downward. We maintain our contacts with the seamen via messenger of face book but sometimes via e-mail. We received the following message from a good Dutch friend who lives in the Philippines. ”Oh how wide the arms of God stretch out! Just walking in Leyte I run into this Philippine gentleman. We talked some about general things. Turns out to be a sailor! Told me he had just returned from Hamburg via Amsterdam. He had received from pastor Theo a scarf and a woollen had and was so happy about it. It had become nearly a custom to receive things from him. Happy in the true sense for in a heat of 40 degrees Celsius he was still wearing scarf and hat!. Gods works are great!” A hearty greeting from Theo en Yvonne van Zuilekom Rotterdam 1 Just a while ago I was together with Henk on some ships handing out, among other things, nice T-shirts. This visit was above our expectations for we experienced this time that on a “Chinese” ship a real interest was shown. Someone wanted by all means to have a Bible. We were able to give two Chinese Bibles- one for a sister and one for his mother-. Above all, Liang listened carefully when the Gospel was being explained. Then we were invited to a meal aboard. We were the only ones who didn’t use chopsticks. On a mixed ship ( diverse nationalities): The Indian Cadet probably listened for the first time to the Good News: Jesus, in your stead, bore the punishment for sins, the punishment that you deserved and that God’s Name be glorified by a life that is set apart for Him”. Henk presented this man with a Bible. On a ship with a complete Indian crew. The cook asked for an English Bible. He and the Mess-boy were the only Christians on board. We also talked to other crewmembers. We pass on Bibles only when specifically asked for and inside the cover write the name of the sailor and “something” encouraging out of the Word of God. A testimony ( a week ago) from a ship: Francis is 23 and a Philippino. He has signed on just this April on a massive Tanker with a mixed crew. He, as a believer is really an example for others. He shares his faith with Dave who appreciates this very much, it all being new to him. There are also 4 other Philippine colleagues who appreciate it to receive an encouraging bible text from Francis. He writes it on the gummed leaves of a small yellow notebook and fixes it to their steel wardrobe doors. Last weekend, during a second visit, we could help them to Bibles in their own language together with some other literature plus a bottle ship souvenir. We love sharing news items with you for reason that, as some of you already do, to remember us in prayer. With thanksgiving and hearty greetings. Wout de Vries

Rotterdam 2 Romans 1:16...”For I am not ashamed of the gospel: it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who has faith, to the Jew first and also to the Greek”. A new office situated right in the middle of the port area! For years I have been praying for an office in this port area. Now God has given it to us. April we, as a team, celebrated the official opening of this new location in Emma straat 41 in Rozenburg. It was pleasant to see many people present from the village to inquire about us and our work. What a blessing to be able to work from this strategic place to serve the sailors. Rozenburg lies really in the middle of this harbour area and has a good access from all sides. We thank the Lord that all this could happen. Encounters onboard ships: Apart from all the renovations taking place at Rozenburg and the many trips we undertake, René and I are busy to train our new Philippine colleague Daniel Lua. We have a good understanding one with another. God leads in the encounters with sailors every time. Many of them ask for Bibles and sometime for a bible study course. We are glad about this for one of our main goals is that sailors will start to read and understand the Bible themselves. On a large Container ship I happen to meet Achmet. He is Second Mate and comes from Pakistan. Achmet is a serious Muslim. Already two years previously I had met him on another ship and now he was glad to see me again. Being busy at work, he still reserved some time for me to talk to me. During our conversation he asked: ”have you brought anything for me by chance?” I said: ”Of course. I have a DVD about Jesus, a bible study book and a Bible in Urdu”. “Oh, is that all for me, can I take it all?” asked Achmet. I nodded and he gathered it all up with joy. Please pray that Achmet reads the Bible and that He may come to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ. Furlough in Germany: For two weeks already of a total of three months I am on furlough in Germany. The first three weeks I travel alone. My wife Kirsten comes to join me when the children have their annual school holidays. It is so nice to meet up with friends and supporters of the mission and members of church fellowships. I would kindly ask for prayer for safety on the road for me Felix , and much strength for Kirsten when she is with the children in Holland. A hearty greeting from Germany, Felix Henrichs.

Rotterdam 3
We’d like to present ourselves to you. Now that our Dutch is getting better and better. We are Anna and René Reifel and we work in the port of Rotterdam. I ( René ) came to Rotterdam from South East Germany almost two years ago. Before, I worked for the Board of works on the German Motorways. Then I received the call of God to go to a bible school. I was there for three years and was wondering as to what would happen next. Then within a span of 6 weeks I met people working with sailors in the ports. I understood that God wanted to use me also in this capacity. It is a reality that in Rotterdam much work needed to be done. At the present day I am a colleague of Felix, Wout, Henk and Dan in the Rotterdam ports. I ( Anna ) lived in the neighbourhood of René, some 45 minutes away in the easterly direction. There I was a schoolteacher for pré-school age children. In between I attended a bible school for one year. René and I came to know each other when he started to attend our church fellowship group on a regular basis. Our German mission organisation has its main office close to where I live. René often had appointments there during the evening and visited our cell group. In this way we met. Before he was going to Holland we were already going steady. In August 2016 we married. I am happy to be involved with the work. I sometimes work in the new office or accompany René on his visits. René and Anna Reifel.

WIN-NL SEAFARERS’ MINISTRY (in Holland WIN-NL) WIN-NL SEAFARERS’ MINISTRY Word International Ministeries in the Netherlands (WIN-NL) has formally launched its ministry to the seafarers in the Port of Rotterdam during a Mission Dinner held last May 27 in Schiedam. Ptr. Dan Lua, will head the ministry as a Filipino Port Chaplain. WIN-NL Seafarers’ Ministry is working in partnership with Het Havenlicht/SCFS, and with the Seaman’s Christian Friend Society (SCFS) where Ptr. Dan gets his training. Together with the SCFS Rotterdam team, headed by Bro. Felix Henrichs, Ptr. Dan is able to visit ships and minister to the seamen. Every now and then volunteers from the WIN church also visit ships. Lately, ministering to the seafarers has gone beyond the ships. WIN now connects with them on social media where they can be followed up. It is such a blessing to receive messages from the seafarers across the ocean on their spiritual journey with Christ. Paul Harold Paras is thanking us for the Bible we gave him. He said that he regularly reads it now and is learning more and more about Christ. Joel Dela Pena is now starting a new bible study group in his new ship, the New Orleans. He is asking for our prayers as he will lead this new cell group. Rogelio Atajar with Junel de Castro is also continuing to hold bible study on board. We continue to pray for more seafarers will come to know Christ. Doris Alfafara

Our deep thanks to: Dutch Seamen Society, Seamen's Centre Amsterdam, Global Recordings Network, Ark Mission, Evangelism Foreigners Service, The Bible Society, Pocket Testament League, Christian Aid Ministries, Operation Mobilization and other unnamed organizations, who all in their own specific way, contribute to do the job well. We are also very grateful for the wonderful cooperation with the Philippine seafarers mission: "WIN-NL Seafarers' Ministry".

Again we would like to make an urgent request for specific prayer concerning the health situation of Anneke Best. Also for prayer for new workers in the ports of Harlingen and Delfzijl. We are grateful towards God for the many opportunities given to us to be a blessing to sailors. A hearty thanks for all you faithful and treasured prayers and other tokens of fellowship. We do appreciate this very much!. Amsterdam: Theo van Zuilekom wthvzuilekom@gmail.com Yvonne van Zuilekom yhvzuilekom@gmail.com Robbert Speelman r.speelman@me.com Marien Gijsbertsen marchris@solcon.nl Cruise Ships: Jan Best janbest.sr@gmail.com Anneke Best annekebest@gmail.com Jan Gooijer jan.gooijer@live.nl Rotterdam: Felix Henrichs felix.henrichs@scfs.org Wout de Vries woutdevries4@gmail.com Free app in more than 6200 Beverwijk, IJmuiden: Jan en Anneke Best janbest.sr@gmail.com languages for tablet and smartphone Seafaring: Michiel Kramers m.kramers@hotmail.com Translations,Wooden Crosses Bottle Ships: Gerrit Huisman ghuisman@live.nl Webmaster: Tom Hofkamp tomhofkamp@solcon.nl Board Chairman: Theo van Zuilekom wthvzuilekom@gmail.com Secretary: Jan Best janbest.sr@gmail.com Treasurer: Jan Gooijer jan.gooijer@live.nl General, Addresses: Wim de Baat wimdebaat@gmail.com IBAN NL71INGB0005545299 - BIC INGBNL2A ANBI registered under RSIN nr. 816655789 - C.O.C. nr. 41023812 Contact: havenlicht@chello.nl -- +31 36 5370340 -- www.havenlicht.com

Gebruikers-avatar
Ton
BerichtenCOLON 2917

Berichtdoor Ton » Di Okt 03, 2017 11:56 am

With great joy we send you our newsletter no. 150, about the Mission amongst Seafarers from all nationalities.

Theo van Zuilekom

--

havenlicht@chello.nl
+31 36 5370340
www.havenlicht.com

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Newsletter autumn 2017 no.150

From the desk Lots of things have happened again in this past period, but only a fraction can be told in this issue. For that reason we would like to come to your church, fellowship or contact -group to tell more about this great mission work being done among sailors of almost every nationality. Do feel free to contact us!

Region IJmuiden Summer 2017
In the Spring issue of our Newsletter I wrote in my report about the health situation of Anneke. It prevented us from following our calling, namely to visit sailors on-board their ships. This Summer didn’t bring any change in this situation except that the spells of dizziness have gone- Praise the Lord! However, other complaints concerning her health have risen. A well-known specialist who has made quite some study in this field of medicine, has no explanation yet as to what is wrong with Anneke’s troubles, mostly concerning her head. During the past months we have had medical appointments with a variety of people: the family doctor, the neurologist, the KNO specialist, the oculist, dentist, internist, CT and MRI scans, extensive blood research plus that a heart film was taken. After all these consultations we were informed that no malfunctioning was found. But still, for all that matter, Anneke is lying sick on our couch. To us this is a frustrating experience. Notwithstanding, we did visit one or two ships together in IJmuiden and Amsterdam. And every time we noticed, even with the hindrances that Anneke is experiencing, that the Lord led us to the right people, helping in the need of people. But still , it is so confusing to us. The Lord blesses our ministry but also permits that Anneke is hardly able to function in her ministry. How can this be? However, we have put all of this in the hands of our Lord and look to Him, trustfully regarding the future. Would you please continue to pray for us? With hearty greetings and may God bless you all. United in the bonds of Christ, Jan and Anneke Best.

Between the waves June 2017 - on board The fact that seamen here always have the prospect of attending a meeting / church fellowship on board, gave us the idea to also write about this in a circular letter to be given to other believing sailors, even to those leading a fellowship in their home country. How hard it is to keep the fire burning on the altar when ,as sailors, there is no fellowship to be had with other believers. Take for instance a prisoner in solitary confinement, surely the Holy spirit will be a help to him. But with believing sailors, even when there are several on the same ship, they remain in isolation. I discovered that they don’t spend time together in prayer, worship or bible study. The cause for this is to be found in their upbringing . They are formed as it were, by tradition and thinking that such meetings can only be presided by a proper clergyman or an ordained pastor. A certain bible-knowledge is of course necessary to lead such a group and is all the more needed because of the diversity of believers on board and the possible influence of sects who may interpret the Word in a different manner. From letters which I have received I learnt that people have now started to pray for seafarers. However, the prayer meetings that are held on board ships consist mainly of a small and consistent band of believers. On-board my offshore ship, opinions varied as to when to put biblical films on during the ship’s movie time. Some people had asked for it, but they had not visited our meetings. The question now was, is it wise to run such a bible-movie in between other film channels? To finds the proper channel first, you first had to zap past all kinds of unsavoury films before you are set. It would be better to turn off the TV all together! Also timing these films is quite a job. On the other ships there is a video-on-demand system and is better suited to handle such situations. The ship has now gone to the demolition-yard. Before that I went to clean out our bible cupboard in a room there. Instead of taking everything home with me I prayed to be able to give it to special persons in places like Malaysia, Sabah, Johor Bahru and the Philippines in order to pass it on for evangelism purposes. It so happened that these persons could be found on board here. For me that resulted in making new contacts and hearing new testimonies. Now a former welder walks around in Sabah, living in a Christian compound with job training facilities. There is also an opportunity for him of attending a prayer meetings during the day. Now I want to share something else with you which I heard on the “smokers bench” in the engine room, where we sometimes evangelise. It proved that the Chinese crewmembers among themselves have exchanged the Jesus movie. So spreading the Gospel goes much easier than one would think. Since the end of August I follow a bible school training ( 3 years) in Rotterdam. The coming months ( years) I’ll have opportunities to participate with colleagues of the Havenlicht/SCFS mission to visit ships because I won’t be at sea then. When I was still on my old ship which is to be broken up, most of the electric light system had already been turned off but I went there for a last time with a Latvian student. Two stewards in their testimony had told us of having received a touch of God’s presence in a certain room of the ship. We had heard more testimonies about that coffee-cabin.( read about it in the No. 149 of Harbourlight about the English scaffolding worker) So my Latvian friend and I revisited this place and in prayer commended this quarter to the Lord, thinking about the time, when in China, the ships wreckers would demolish this particular area. That these men also would come to a saving knowledge of the Living God. About sister ships. During the last period I received news from the sister ships that gospel meetings are being held there also. One such meeting kept drawing more visitors every week. People wanted to know about Jesus and even came along during their resting time, which means a lot to them as their working hours are from 12 till 12, and that seven days a week! During that winter season in Rotterdam we wanted to keep on helping our men on board there by means of SCFS/WIN, but then already , most of them had gone home. Mostly church meetings on ships are of a temporary nature. I learnt about this when reading some books published by the SCFS. But steadfast is our God who is the same yesterday, today and forever. He is always the same , be it on a big or on a small ships in any given port of the world. With hearty greetings, Michiel Kramers.

Amsterdam 1 The water taxi brings me to a ship anchored in the middle of the harbour. On board I meet a mixed crew of Indonesian, Burmese and Korean sailors. They have just made the long journey to Amsterdam, having come all the way from Sulawesi. Regrettably they can’t go ashore because they are now at anchor in the middle of the harbour. The sailors are somewhat bored and their first question to me is, if I have any telephone cards with me. ”I’m sorry, no, but it is a good lesson to me to bring them along next time”. I was invited to share a meal with them and afterwards had some good conversations. A sailor with a Muslim background takes without any restraint a DVD with the Jesus movie from the table and starts reading the text on the cover. What boredom can incite! Not long ago, apart from visiting seafarers, I also meet many other people in the ports themselves, like security, crane drivers or for instance here the man steering the water-taxi. Often these men want to ( or have to) know who I am and what my business is. It is surprising to see every time how each person reacts differently when I answer their questions. Sometimes they react in a negative way, but mostly in a positive way. I once had a person who spontaneously started to tell me the story of his life. I do get chances is this way to share the Gospel with many. With a Chinese person I talk about his country and mention a book which I had read recently. It has as title: Red China’s Blues, written by the Canadian writer and journalist Jan Wong. It is a book my Chinese friend knew well but it is forbidden literature in his country. “So many things have changed in China and you don’t want to know how much suffering there still is for the Chinese”, he tells me and went on to say:” You can really notice here in the West that you are in a Christian country; everything is run in a perfect manner, everyone is happy, even prostitution is legal”. I explain to him that his look at our culture isn’t quite right, many people are not happy and prostitution is certainly not a symbol of a perfect society and is contrary to our Christian way of thinking”. This sailor, being a stern atheist, gladly accepts a Chinese/English Bible :”..It will help to improve my English!” I hope sincerely that it won’t stop at that. Not long ago I took a sailor home with me that I had met before. Because of the nice weather we decided to do some canoeing. After some time we had a short break at a village. He was so surprised at the assortment of fish displayed to the customer at a local fish shop. We are in the middle of summer and everything is green: , the reed borders, the duckweed but also the weeping willows along the stream and even nearby ditches are full of water. As we pass some nice apartments he comments that it is a clear sign of our prosperity. During the trip he asks me about everything he sees, but also about faith matters. In this way, while canoeing, I have an opportunity to witness about Jesus and how He came to the world long ago and how He suffered for me but that Jesus came, also for him and that He stretches out His hand to the whole world and are you willing to lay your hand in His? After having had supper with us, we read Psalms 23. Then I brought him back to his ship. As the gate opens to let us in, he utters a sigh: “Now I am back in the prison”. For us it was a simple outing but to him this afternoon was a different world altogether. I hope to meet him again shortly. With friendly greetings, Marien Gijsbertsen. Amsterdam 2 The Rumanian watchman who at first appeared rather gruffly to me, started to smile after I had spoken to him for a while. He was grateful for the Bible which he thankfully accepted. Also the gift of a craftily designed wooden cross made him happy. During the past season visiting ships, we spoke to sailors from the Philippines, Russians, Rumanians, sailors from Georgia, Poland, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Norway, Surinam, Cape Verde Islands, Iceland, Holland, Indonesia and Malaysia.
Two Indonesian cooks were surprised to hear that I already knew about them. They were actually the reason why I came to visit them. Even though they were very busy, they took time to talk to me. In leaving I told them that I am always good friends with ships cooks and it made them smile in recognition. With a :”I know you from another ship!”, I was happily greeted by a seaman. I remembered him also and we had a nice talk. We had prayer when we concluded our conversation: for himself, for his wife and their child in the Philippines. On board a great Bulk carrier the chief cook tells Yvonne: “go and have a talk with my assistant. He’s having a hard time”. This young Philippino cook was only 21 and, had been at sea for only for a week. During a storm on the way to Amsterdam he had become terribly seasick. The Chief grinned and said teasingly: “He almost died”. Yvonne was able to tell the young man about a loving Father in heaven who want to care for him. It looked like a mother and son scene with the young sailor and Yvonne but he gratefully accepted some Christian literature and a CD to listen to. We prayed for them both and then we heard: “you must have a bite to eat now”. We often hear this on board ships and we can’t always refuse such an invitation. Much literature could be passed on like CD’s, DVD’s and Bibles in various languages. Wooden crosses and bottle ship souvenirs were also welcome. We opened God’s Word with the seafarers and prayed with them. Much clothing could be given out, mainly to Philippine sailors. Even a traveling bag found a new owner. He said: “I had prayed about this and look here, a bag for me!” But first and foremost in our visits it is about the Lord Jesus and we feel privileged to be able to do this work. Thank you for your prayers and other tokens of friendship. A hearty greeting from Theo en Yvonne van Zuilekom.

Rotterdam 1 On the quay-side where the Super tankers are moored, I notice a group of 5 sailors coming towards me. It is a good opportunity as any to say something to them, for sailors are always curious. It proves they are from China. I introduce myself to them. They stop and listen to the Gospel and look at the picture-cards I show them. It tells about the separation between God and sinful man; the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross in which He complied to the demand of God. It was all needed to forgive sinful man, people like you and me. Whosoever believes on Him will not be lost but will live and receive eternal life. While talking, I show another picture of a large stone before the tomb and the Roman soldier standing guard. The next picture shows an angel rolling the stone away. Because Jesus paid the price for us and because He was resurrected by God from the dead, the gap , the separation between God and man, was filled up and persons like you and me who first lived in darkness separated from God, can now be saved. Here I pause, saying that the story is nearly ended. Now the question to you: what choice do you make? With patience they had listened all the time. They were part of a crew on their way to a so called taxfree shop and were looking forward to it. Then they moved on towards the end of the pier. In the distance I see another group of some sailors leaving their ship, coming my direction again. Now these proved to be Philippinos. Surely, they also must hear about this captivating story. On deck I find a watchman who is interested and I have a brief contact a bit farther on with a Chinese seaman. On this ship I meet Earl, Abi Abi and Chris, a Philippino. There was not enough time for deep conversations but it was good to hear from them that on a next visit we would be welcome again.
How nice of you , dear friends, to read our reports about our work. We want to thank God for His protection on board the ships. We appreciate your prayers for my wife Hannie and myself. Pray also for lasting contacts with our friends Horinko from Hungary, for José Jimmy, Abi Abi, Joseph , Jeffry from the Philippines and the men who wanted to receive literature in Hindi, the Turkish language and Russian. With hearty greetings from Wout de Vries.

Rotterdam 2 A week ago I returned from a three week furlough in Germany. It was a fruitful and blessed time where I myself and later as a family I could visit many friends, mission supporters and many churches. I’m happy now to be home and able to visit the ports of Rotterdam. I’m also glad to work together with my colleague René again. What a blessing it is to have a full time co-worker like René and also to form a team with Wout and the others. I’m very happy with our new location in Rozenburg. What a blessing to have an office and storage room at such a central location. It can easily be reached by al the team members. Since my return I haven’t as yet been to the ships that much but I did enjoy the time with René when we did visit some ships. At nearly all the places we were welcome and the men were glad to see us. On a small container ship “by chance” I met a Philippine sailor who happened to know me. For some time already we were friends on Facebook but we never had met personally. His name is Michel and works as an oiler in the engine room. He is a believing Christian and I am looking forward to meeting him again in three weeks’ time. It astonishes me every time to see how God is able , at the right time, to lead us to the right ship. Another highlight for me was meeting up with Alberto. He is an elderly Philippino seaman who by reading God’s Word had become a believer. He is so active and asks René many questions. René is the person he has come to know best. On the same ship is also Phillip, a fellow Christian and together with two others they have bible studies on board. Alberto was baptised some weeks ago in the Irish sea by our SCFS colleague in Dublin. The Lord is great and mighty to save people on board ships. A hearty greeting from Rotterdam, Felix Henrichs.

Our deep thanks to: “WIN-NL Seafarers’ Ministry”, Dutch Seamen Society, Seamen's Centre Amsterdam, Global Recordings Network, Ark Mission, Evangelism Foreigners Service, The Bible Society, Pocket Testament League, Christian Aid Ministries, Operation Mobilization and other unnamed organizations, who all in their own specific way, contribute to do the job well.

We would like to ask again for specific and urgent prayer for the health of Anneke Best, it is still not going well with her. Also welcome prayer for new workers in the ports, including for Harlingen and Delfzijl. Thank you for all your valuable faithful prayer and other tokens of love! This is how God works through you so that sailors can hear and accept His word! We are very grateful to God for the many possibilities to be a blessing for sailors!

Amsterdam: Theo van Zuilekom wthvzuilekom@gmail.com Yvonne van Zuilekom yhvzuilekom@gmail.com Marien Gijsbertsen marchris@solcon.nl Cruise Ships: Jan Best janbest.sr@gmail.com Anneke Best annekebest@gmail.com Jan Gooijer jan.gooijer@live.nl Rotterdam: Felix Henrichs felix.henrichs@scfs.org Wout de Vries woutdevries4@gmail.com Beverwijk, IJmuiden: Jan en Anneke Best janbest.sr@gmail.com Flexible: Michiel Kramers m.kramers@hotmail.com

Translations,Wooden Crosses Bottle Ships: Gerrit Huisman ghuisman@live.nl Webmaster: Tom Hofkamp tomhofkamp@solcon.nl Ambassador: Robbert Speelman r.speelman@me.com Board: Chairman: Theo van Zuilekom wthvzuilekom@gmail.com Secretary: Jan Best janbest.sr@gmail.com Treasurer: Jan Gooijer jan.gooijer@live.nl General, Addresses: Wim de Baat wimdebaat@gmail.com

IBAN NL71INGB0005545299 - BIC INGBNL2A ANBI registered under RSIN nr. 816655789 - C.O.C. nr. 41023812 Contact: havenlicht@chello.nl -- +31 36 5370340 -- www.havenlicht.com

Gebruikers-avatar
Ton
BerichtenCOLON 2917

Berichtdoor Ton » Do Dec 21, 2017 1:14 pm

With great joy we send you our newsletter no. 151, about the Mission

Theo van Zuilekom
--
havenlicht@chello.nl
+31 36 5370340
www.havenlicht.com

********************************************************************************************

Newsletter winter 2017 no.151

From the desk Apart from the general activities we also have been busy with making Christmas parcels like sorting out the ingredients and bringing them to the ships. We had the privilege to watch how glad the men were and how thankfully the parcels were received by the sailors in different ports. During the event we also tell why and for what reason we are doing this. We would like, for the same reason, come to your church or fellowship to tell of our beautiful work. We would be glad to hear from you. Rests us to wish you God’s blessing for the coming Christmas Celebrations and the New Year!

Amsterdam 1 As I’m writing my report as part of my share for the Bulletin, snowflakes are slowly drifting past my window. The year seems to have passed so quickly , but again, since my last contribution many things have happened. For instance that time when I accompanied Felix Henrichs in the port of Rotterdam, it being quite an event to learn from. It confronted me with the fact that from Germany people have come to the port of Rotterdam as fulltime workers to bring the Gospel to the sailors. Of course, you must do what is on your heart but it makes you wonder about people taking such initiatives. Quite regularly I meet up a lot with Chinese people on board ships. Their reaction on seeing me and their reaction to the Gospel message is different every time. Also, they mostly speak no English which makes communicating all the more difficult. At times, looking around in the Wheelhouse I spot various notes on paper in Chinese characters next to the standard instructions in English! A DVD about the Ark of Noah with Chinese subtitling is mostly the first item taken from the material I present. Not long ago it happened that this DVD was put into the set in the mess room straight away. What I found out was that the Chinese characters for BOAT have other concepts as well. About the Ark of Noah it can mean: great big eight-mouth boat, for instance. There exist other similar “letter” types all relating in some way to the stories of Genesis. On another ship I have this lengthy conversation with the First Mate. He is the only Christian on board and finds it such a relief to share a common faith with another believer , confiding to me many a problem that confronts him aboard his ship. After praying together and a firm handshake I leave the ship. This also is part of our work in port; not only telling about the Gospel but also encouraging fellow Christians on board their ships.

One evening I decided to go to the ports to start handing out the first Christmas parcels of 2017. Getting closer that night I was in wonderment seeing those ships and cranes lighted up. I t was like an over dimensional Christmas tree there in the surrounding darkness. After having passed on the Christmas parcels, the Philippine crew wishes that I tell them something about the Bible and so together we have an improvised Bible study meeting. We read from Luke 22 where Christ presents Himself as a sacrifice to us during the Last Supper. The Christmas parcels are always highly regarded by the sailors irrespective of colour, nationality, religion or culture. Everybody appreciates this act of friendship/love and that is exactly the essence of Christmas. Jesus came to the world for all people, regardless what race or culture one belongs to. In the past year I’ve experienced that it is difficult with sailors to come to the heart of matters. However, every situation it is different. There were times when I wasn’t even allowed to come on board. But presenting Christmas parcels is always an ideal moment to explain the Gospel to seamen. I hope and pray that also this year the Christmas parcels will be a means to lead sailors to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ. Will you, at home, stand by us in this endeavour? Marien Gijsbertsen

Amsterdam 2 Sometimes we can only engage in a conversation with the men but at other times you can pray with the sailors because they are so far from home. That, after all, is our ultimate goal and purpose: to “bring “ the Lord Jesus aboard and opening the Bible. With our Bibles and Gospel material we can, in nearly all cases ,help them out. On top of that, many a warm clothing article can be handed over and nearly a hundred woollen hats have kept sailors heads nicely warm. Yvonne and I were invited to visit a Cruise Ship. The Christian crewmembers ( among others) welcomed us with: “We thank God you have come” and someone else said: “I have been praying every day for you and your work”. These were friends from Indonesia and Myanmar. It is great to observe that the Gospel can be presented in all its simplicity. No complicated formulas but by pure - friendship evangelism-. So many beautiful things have happened and such good talks we’ve had with the sailors. With men from China for instance and Columbia, Nepal, Myanmar, India, Indonesia, Serbia, Rumania, the Philippines, the Ukraine, Russia, New Zealand, Ireland, Latvia, Estonia, Lithuania, Poland and other countries. We also have handed out some good Christmas parcels, being put together and wrapped by Yvonne. All during the year we looked for and collected the various items to fill the parcels.

Also from a church where we once held a presentation about Port Mission work in 2013. Since that time they save up and gather in beautiful and useful things to be put in the Christmas parcels. This year Yvonne made some Christmas decorations for the tables on the ship’s mess rooms. Presenting Christmas parcels is almost like having a party and is always a good way to bring the Gospel. Words like: “I’m going to contact my wife in the Philippine straightaway” or “How thankful we are that you came” could be heard.

A hearty thanks for all your prayers and means of fellowship, Theo en Yvonne van Zuilekom.

Between the waves This past season I haven’t been at sea. Last August I started to attend a three year full time Bible training in Rotterdam ( Fire School Ministry Europe). I left it in the hands of God to either continue my Christian way as it was or to invest time in training and becoming better equipped for the work of God. Philippians 1:20…..”according to my earnest expectation and my hope, that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but that with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ shall be magnified in my body, whether it be by life, or by death”. The last time we were on board was in the port of Rotterdam and so we held our last Bible study there in a room that was already partly stripped: the ship being made ready for the ship scrapping of vessels. A sister ship also came in port and many crewmembers were then dismissed. With a fellow student from the Fire School I managed to come aboard this ship twice to share the Word with the remaining crew. These were splendid meetings. Having to obtain permission this time as a visitor, I needed to present myself to the Harbour office and its officials every time. To them it all seemed a bit conspicuous. It resulted that the Management forbade therefore any further meetings to be organised by people from outside. One of the reasons was: it was found not to be fair that one religion was to be favoured above the other. After the captain was relieved, this later became a policy, like the law of the Medes and the Persians. The new captain didn’t want to over-rule the decision of the former captain. But at the same time a new door opened at the Seaman’s Club, giving us permission to use their Chapel. The crewmembers however never turned up. By means of Facebook I heard the good news that in one of the cabins the meetings continue under the leadership of a faithful servant who has organised meetings like this for years. It is just a confirmation to me that church fellowships on these ships continue, being led by the men themselves.

Concerning my invitation to them, I gather that the men prefer the ship rather than the shore. The men have hardly time to get bored on the ship. This is mainly because of the 84 hour week they make when at sea. Also there are large crews aboard and so many men to talk to. Then you have the media by which one can amuse himself, like the interactive TV, Internet and the telephone. As to the Gospel, by constant prayer and befriending others it is possible to have men venture out of their cabins to come and listen to God’s Message and then, hopefully, the Kingdom of God breaks forth.( Matth.11:12) Michiel Kramers

Rotterdam 1
One told me I was wasting my time to come aboard because everybody was extremely busy. That same week I again went to this ship with its Indian crew. The situation was still the same but now a more friendly watchman was there to greet me. He accepted a Bible in his own language and some tract for his mates. In December my college René was there to deliver the Christmas parcels. These are always gladly accepted by the seamen no matter what country they come from. On another day, instead of taking the Motorway, I took a side road to a farther port area. I remembered I had received permission to board a Containership at a certain dock and decided to visit this ship. The men were interested to have a Bible in Tagalog but also in my other literature. They wanted to have me visit their ship, when in port, the coming year. Having visited a small Tanker on several occasions, I met “Sanchez” this time who had quite a high position as a maritime man. As we talked I learnt that he had just signed on and… that he was a fellow Christian! He was happy to tell me about the bible study meetings he’d held on previous ships and expressed the wish to be able to do this again on this one. Coming to the ship on another day, I had with me a series of new bible studies. He picked out some in order to share the Word with others. A young sailor was there and he heard us talking about the Gospel. We hope and pray that he also may be touched by God’s love and what other good news he may hear from brother “Sanchez”, his colleague on the ship. That this Port mission work that we are privileged to do by the grace of God as a team, that it be to His glory and His honour! Wout de Vries

Region IJmuiden
Yearly visiting about 130 ships, the “meter “ so to say, has now stopped well under 30. This Autumn, because of Anneke’s illness, we came no further than 6 Cargo ships and one Cruise Ship. The last one mentioned has a special place in our hearts. In charge is a British captain with British Officers while the crew is made up mostly of Philippino’s. In the beginning of December when I sent an E-mail to this Cruise Ship to ask for permission to come aboard, the captain answered the same day that we were welcome “to do your good work”. The Port authorities know us well by now, giving us permission to drive through the Customs area, right up to the ship. Anneke stayed in the car, enjoying the 20 degrees warmth inside, for it is bitterly cold. She has a bag with her full of lady’s articles, specially meant for “Lucy”, a Philippine room cleaner on the ship. I myself go aboard to visit the crew in the mess room. First of all I have to find “Lucy”. This doesn’t take long ( Thank you Lord) and I tell her about Anneke sitting in the car outside. I can imagine it will be a grand and cosy meeting there in the back of the car. We sympathize with “Lucy”. She is the only wage earner of the family. She has a 10 month’s contract and her husband is at home, suffering from Parkinson’s disease. Anneke prays for Lucy there in the car and both of them are crying. “Lucy” goes back on board with her bag with a happy face to start her 12 hour shift- seven days a week. In April 2018 she can go home again. In the mess room I can be a blessing to many crewmembers by handing out Bibles and literature in the person’s language. I can also pray with some individually. It is already dark when we drive home through the dense evening traffic. It was a blessed day! Jan en Anneke Best Names in quotation marks are fictitious names, in connection with privacy. Our deep thanks to: “WIN-NL Seafarers’ Ministry”, Dutch Seamen Society, Seamen's Centre Amsterdam, Global Recordings Network, Ark Mission, Evangelism Foreigners Service, The Bible Society, Pocket Testament League, Christian Aid Ministries, Operation Mobilization and other unnamed organizations, who all in their own specific way, contribute to do the job well.

We would like to ask again for specific and urgent prayer for the health of Anneke Best, it is still not going well with her. Also welcome prayer for new workers in the ports, including for Harlingen and Delfzijl. Thank you for all your valuable faithful prayer and other tokens of love! This is how God works through you so that sailors can hear and accept His word! We are very grateful to God for the many possibilities to be a blessing for sailors!

Amsterdam: Theo van Zuilekom wthvzuilekom@gmail.com Yvonne van Zuilekom yhvzuilekom@gmail.com Marien Gijsbertsen marchris@solcon.nl Cruise Ships: Jan Best janbest.sr@gmail.com Anneke Best annekebest@gmail.com Jan Gooijer jan.gooijer@live.nl Rotterdam: Felix Henrichs felix.henrichs@scfs.org Wout de Vries woutdevries4@gmail.com Beverwijk, IJmuiden: Jan en Anneke Best janbest.sr@gmail.com Flexible: Michiel Kramers m.kramers@hotmail.com

Translations,Wooden Crosses Bottle Ships: Gerrit Huisman ghuisman@live.nl Webmaster: Tom Hofkamp tomhofkamp@solcon.nl Ambassador: Robbert Speelman r.speelman@me.com Board: Chairman: Theo van Zuilekom wthvzuilekom@gmail.com Secretary: Jan Best janbest.sr@gmail.com Treasurer: Jan Gooijer jan.gooijer@live.nl General, Addresses: Wim de Baat wimdebaat@gmail.com

IBAN NL71INGB0005545299 - BIC INGBNL2A ANBI registered under RSIN nr. 816655789 - C.O.C. nr. 41023812 Contact: havenlicht@chello.nl -- +31 36 5370340 -- www.havenlicht.com

Gebruikers-avatar
Ton
BerichtenCOLON 2917

Berichtdoor Ton » Vr Mrt 30, 2018 2:16 pm

04 Newsletter 152 Het Havenlicht-SCFS

With great joy we send you our newsletter no. 152, about the Mission

Theo van Zuilekom
---
havenlicht@chello.nl
+31 36 5370340
www.havenlicht.com

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Newsletter spring 2018 no.152

From the desk “Why did you not come earlier?” These kind of greetings have been coming to us by the mouths of the sailors for the last 43 years. Most times we have no proper answer to this question. But that we are welcome is certain. We would like to visit your church or fellowship or house meeting to tell you more about our Mission. We want to stay in contact with our readers and that is why you may contact us. We wish you much pleasure in reading the reports.

Amsterdam 1
“Thank you so much for everything. I’m so grateful to have met you on-board our ship”. The Philippino who had said this later, had been sitting in the corner of the mess room with two of his colleagues. When I entered, they didn’t look happy. God made it clear to me that I must first go to them. I was able to encourage these men with the Word of God. With many a “thank you” they received a Bible as well as a calendar with other material. Afterwards all three accompanied me down to my car to receive a gift of warm clothing. So in the end
their sadness had turned to joy! “Hello pastor”, said the Norwegian captain in a loud voice. It came from the far end of the room I had just entered, welcoming me in his jovial way. “ I had already heard of your coming”. At that moment the cook appeared, placing a lovely meal before me. Yes, that happens at times and during mealtime conversations often go real deep. So happy was a person who had been given a biblical concordance to help him with his bible study. “I want to share this with my wife!” Yes, we as workers of Het Havenlicht often maintain contact with the family members back home. Mission work among seafarers is a worldwide mission! A hearty thanks for your prayers and other tokens of fellowship. Theo and Yvonne van Zuilekom.

Region IJmuiden Since the beginning of January until now we have visited 6 cargo ships, be it under “pain and strain “ because Anneke was not being well. Arriving at the ship that we want to visit, Anneke stays in the car because she is not fit enough to climb the gangway. You must be in full control of your limbs in order to gain the deck with all the gear you are carrying. Often you have to push aside greasy steel cables or try to slip under them.

I’m still reasonably fit so that is no problem for me. A former colleague of us, Wim van der Leer ( he is now with the Lord) often remarked: “The Lord will refresh my bones”. So in this way, when visiting sailors, I meet them in their own environment to encourage and pray for them on a one to one basis or as a group. A great amount of Bibles, text cards and literature found their way in the cabins of the crewmembers. Some captains also received a ship in a bottle. Last week Anneke was having a real bad time struggling with her health. Even ambulance people were involved, needing to come to our house, for I had called the emergency number. At a certain moment, at the urging of Anneke, we asked the dentist to remove her canine from her left upper jaw. This could be arranged the same day. The following two days were worse than ever. But since Thursday, surprisingly enough, she started to feel better. Praise the Lord! She is feeling better and is picking up. Her heart no longer has this irregular beat and her eyes are showing that brightness again. We have started to make plans again to visit ships. She still isn’t her old self but we are thankful towards the Lord that a health improvement can be noticed. So continue to pray for us. We do so appreciate it. With friendly greetings and may God bless you! Jan and Anneke Best.

Amsterdam 2 The main target for the Havenlicht Port mission is to tell the Gospel to the seafarers. In other words: sharing the Good Message of Jesus Christ. It is often challenging to me to just start talking about Jesus after beginning a conversation. Sometimes I can do this in a direct way by asking: “what does Jesus mean to you?”. At other times you need to be more subtle and there are times you better keep your mouth shut! There is this language barrier, then the culture barrier and sometimes the lack of training is there to cope with this kind of work. Passing on the Gospel is often being hampered by these issues. After all, the Gospel is a “foolish message”, something the average earth dweller isn’t really waiting for. In 1 Cor.16:9 the apostle Paul writes that he needed to stay longer in Ephesus…” because in this city a wide door for effective work has been opened to me”. It is not clear what is being meant by this door. Several explanations are possible. But the fact that Ephesus is a port brings this to my mind : can it be that St Paul may be the inventor of port mission work? A curious way of thinking but we too need the leading of the Spirit in a strong way. He opens the gates for us and leads us to the right people and also giving us the right words to speak. This I have experienced in the past period on several occasions. Last year I was on a ship with a Syrian crew, together with Theo. In the beginning of January this same ship was again in port , now in Rotterdam. To me it seemed a good idea to visit this ship again because our previous visit was really appreciated. Also I had kept contact with some crewmembers via Facebook. Even though New Year was well behind us, I decided to prepare some Christmas parcels for them as well. However, the site where the ship was moored was not open for public on Saturdays. Accepting this for a fact, I still decided to try and get a bit closer to the ship. But even from another angle I saw that it was hermetically closed. But then I met a crewmember in the street. He showed me a way leading to a side entrance where it was allowed to enter the area.
The crew was happy with my coming. Later we shared some photos we had taken during our visit in Amsterdam. I was on the ship for three hours! Whenever I wanted to leave, I became involved in a talk with another person. All kind of topics did we touch and even jokes were shared. I heard from the men that many of them had found temporary housing in Egypt or Turkey because of the war in Syria. I did have some chances to talk about my faith, about Jesus and the Bible, but that was not often the case. The crew was completely Muslim. It is good to take in account that a certain group pressure can be present. It so happened that I had brought 5 Bibles with me ( N T) in my bag and was thinking the whole time in what way I could pass them on. In the end it proved that three copies had already been “nicked” while I was busy talking and wondering what to do about handing them out. So luckily, it didn’t have to depend on me how things run. But it does happen that sometimes sailors want to talk about spiritual matters themselves. Like that one evening when I decided to go to the ports. A young Cadet (apprentice Officer) from Croatia was on duty as Watchman on deck. He offered me his chair straightaway, so glad he was to meet someone to have a talk with. After touching some topics about renting a house in Holland compared to one in Croatia, he soon turned the conversation to his personal look on life. He believed in Mother Nature, New Age and that being dead is the end of things. To him the church had become a bad institution because of the abuse of authority of which he had seen a lot in his country. When he had finished this debate he straightened his back, expecting me to quickly denounce all his views. I’m sorry to say, but I had no straightforward answers for him. But I experienced it all as a nice opportunity to tell him about my personal faith, about who Jesus is for me. That He is the Victor over death, that I may know that my sins are forgiven and have eternal life. Just by chance (?) I had a gospel tract in Croatian with me. I then took my leave, in the hope to meet him again. It is such a good thing that on-board ships situations lend themselves often as a lead- on for a talk. Like that time being on the Bridge of a ship where I had a chat with the Second Officer who was planning the route to the next destination. Large ocean charts were spread out before him. A route needed to be set out according to a timetable and all critical passages were taken notice of. Quite enthusiastically he explained it all to me and in that spirit of enthusiasm I continued in the same line of explaining spiritual things. “Our life is also a journey. Sometimes we encounter storms, we need to watch out for shallow ground and better keep far away from it. Sometimes we have favourable winds, sometimes not but at last we reach our destination. It is essentially important to think about your life’s destination and to sail the right course in your life. In all of this the Bible is the compass! “ We are blessed to have Bibles in different languages which we can handout on-board together with brochures .One has as title: “ How am I reaching my destination? “ It gives a short but clear explanation of the Gospel. I’m grateful for all the opportunities that have come my way during our port mission work and am always thankful for the sailors that have come in contact with the Gospel. The combination of a job, having a family and other engagements do not allow me to go to the ports very often. Would you pray with me for all the sailors we have reached with the Gospel? Also for me to have more opportunities to visit ships. Last but not least: do not forget to pray for more ship visitors! With friendly greetings, Marien Gijsbertsen.

Rotterdam 1 I chose to visit Anthony’s ship first. I met him on ships twice before already. Anthony is eager to learn more about the Bible. We sit face to face in the mess room with its small tables. I listen to what is on his heart. He wants to believe in a God that helps and supports. I learned during this visit that many changes are confronting him. Not only in his private life but also concerning his family.
The booklet that I have given him is about how to learn more about God and is well received. Having this meeting with Anthony, it feels as if there is a heavenly “Stage manager” at work here. Anthony tells me more and he is all smiles as he relates about this certitude, of having found security in his faith that he has found in the Lord. In leaving his ship and with a hearty farewell, I silently wonder, will I ever see Anthony again?

Other sailors of course, also needed my attention before I left the ship. I feel thankful and relieved in having been on Anthony’s ship once again. The next ship to visit is also one which I am familiar with. Here also are some sailors I ( by chance?) have spoken to before. They know it is about the Gospel. Roy has asked me for a Bible and I have given him one. Even if it’s 2 months that have gone by since we were aboard with Christmas parcels, I just know they still have vivid memories of that special occasion. The many items we have put in these parcels, it was such a surprise to them. I didn’t meet Roy this time but other sailors instead. When I heared that the ship is about to be shifted to another mooring, I said goodbye to them, hoping for a next possible visit and encounter, With friendly greetings, Wout de Vries.

Rotterdam 2 I personally think that one of the highlights in our ministry is meeting Muslim sailors. They are earnestly seeking the truth and are open to the Gospel. In this report I want to share with you some of these experiences. It so happened that my colleague René was handing out Christmas parcels on board a Tanker where the crew mostly consisted of Pakistani sailors. As you may know, I lived as a teenager in Pakistan for 5 years and therefore wanted so much to meet some of these people. I decided to visit the Tanker next day and I had taken quite an amount of literature in the Urdu language with me. Once on board I was invited to come to the office. There everybody was busy with their affairs and I was asked to take a seat in the corner. There I was seeking God’s face to open a door for me. So I addressed the Third Officer who was busy with his computer and had his back turned towards me. I asked what his name was and from what area he came from. “I come from Abbotabat”, he answered. I knew this was a town far away from the sea. “That’s funny”, I said, “I lived in a village not far from there, in Qalandarabad”. Then it was quiet for a moment. He turned towards me and the young Pakistani asked in surprise: “are you serious? ”Yes”, I said, “My parents were missionaries. Do you know the Christian hospital?” “Of course “, he said, my family goes there. It is the best hospital in the region and many of my cousins were born there. Just before signing up I went there for my medical check”. What an extra ordinary meeting that was, chatting to a young Pakistani on his ship in that immense port of Rotterdam. The Lord had his hand in this! During lunch we had some more conversation and in parting he stood there with a Bible which he had gladly accepted. “I shall treat this present as a Holy Book”, he said. Let us pray that he may find the One and True God by reading His Word. On a Syrian ship that had already been visited once by our Amsterdam colleagues, I had quite an exceptional conversation with the captain. His point in arguing was to defend the Muslim doctrine against the Christian faith. He wasn’t really open to anything else and we didn’t get much farther during our two meetings that followed. But there were moments when I could have a say in explaining the Gospel. Now during our conversation the First Officer was mostly listening in the background. When we were silent for a moment, this man said: “I am Muslim because my parents are Muslim. I would like however to read the Bible and study the brochures you have given us”. I was so grateful that Abel had an open mind to what I had been saying. What a pity we didn’t have a chance to go to any depth in a further conversation because of the presence of this dominant captain. But I believe we hadn’t boarded this ship in vain, having found such an attentive listener.
Ten years ago during my apprenticeship with Rudy, many Iranian Tankers used to call in at Rotterdam and the Iranian sailors were open to the Gospel. Through the International Sanctions imposed on Iran, the ships no longer came to the Rotterdam ports. It was my prayer to God if He would lead once again these ships to our ports. On a certain day in February, René and I were together to visit some ships. After having been on a Tanker with a Philippino crew, having had some good talks with them about the Gospel, we decided to visit the ship moored next to it. Once aboard we met the First Officer who happened to come from Iran and together with him half the crew! One of the crewmembers, Mahmoud, discovered our literature and started to search enthusiastically for something in his own language. When I noticed that, I decided to come back the next day with literature in the Farsi language. When I arrived, Mahmoud was glad to see me again and promptly invited me to have lunch with him. Afterwards I showed him the literature I had brought with me in which also the cook was interested. They were both keen to have a Bible and nearly took all the other available booklets. The cook in halting English said: ”This Book is forbidden in my land. But I want to read it”. Mahmoud asked me to leave some literature behind for the other crewmembers who had gone to the city. The Lord had led us to this ship! Maybe it is for them the only opportunity to come in contact with the Bible and so have a chance to read it. Felix Henrichs.

In Bible College My report is rather short for I haven’t been on the ships but am attending Bible College full time. It is not only a school for theoretical knowledge but is actually a Leadership Training College. In this kind of teaching, like in an Obstacle Run, the training is to achieve greater heights. For there is an enemy to face, a roaring lion as Scripture says, wanting to devour someone. All areas in my life, ( some not even being aware of ) everything that was not in order, now rise to the surface to be dealt with. At the same time it is a School of Prayer like as in a
workshop, where we build the House of God. Sometimes it means chipping away at concrete to renew foundations, some 50 tons of it. So it is strenuous, both physically as well as spiritually. Even more deeper go our prayers for the city. Quite regularly we participate in “outreaches” both in the city and elsewhere in Europe. I live with three international students in one apartment. One of them is nearly finished with his training. In all aspects God is blessing us. A closing remark in general: my decision to be trained here causes me to fit in as a Living Stone in the body of Christ ( instead of being the lone ranger that I was). Michiel Kramers.

The seafarers mentioned in this newsletter do have in actual life different names. For privacy reasons the proper names are not mentioned. The photo’s in this bulletin are printed with permission. Our deep thanks to: “WIN-NL Seafarers’ Ministry”, Dutch Seamen Society, Seamen's Centre Amsterdam, Global Recordings Network, Ark Mission, Evangelism Foreigners Service, The Bible Society, Pocket Testament League, Christian Aid Ministries, Operation Mobilization and other unnamed organizations, who all in their own specific way, contribute to do the job well.

We would like to ask prayer once more for the health of the co-workers. Particularly for Anneke Best. Prayer is also needed for new co-workers in the ports of Harlingen and Delfzijl. A hearty thanks for all you valuable prayers and other tokens of fellowship. In this way God is working, also through you, in order that sailors can hear His Word and accept it. We are grateful towards God for the many chances to be a blessing to seafarers.

Amsterdam: Theo van Zuilekom wthvzuilekom@gmail.com Yvonne van Zuilekom yhvzuilekom@gmail.com Marien Gijsbertsen marchris@solcon.nl Cruise Ships: Jan Best janbest.sr@gmail.com Anneke Best annekebest@gmail.com Jan Gooijer jan.gooijer@live.nl Rotterdam: Felix Henrichs felix.henrichs@scfs.org Wout de Vries woutdevries4@gmail.com Beverwijk, IJmuiden: Jan en Anneke Best janbest.sr@gmail.com Flexible: Michiel Kramers m.kramers@hotmail.com Translations,Wooden Crosses Bottle Ships: Gerrit Huisman ghuisman@live.nl Webmaster: Tom Hofkamp tomhofkamp@solcon.nl Ambassador: Robbert Speelman r.speelman@me.com Board: Chairman: Theo van Zuilekom wthvzuilekom@gmail.com Secretary: Jan Best janbest.sr@gmail.com Treasurer: Jan Gooijer jan.gooijer@live.nl General, Addresses: Wim de Baat wimdebaat@gmail.com IBAN NL71INGB0005545299 - BIC INGBNL2A ANBI registered under RSIN nr. 816655789 - C.O.C. nr. 41023812 Contact: havenlicht@chello.nl -- +31 36 5370340 -- www.havenlicht.com

Gebruikers-avatar
Ton
BerichtenCOLON 2917

Berichtdoor Ton » Wo Jul 04, 2018 11:48 am

With great joy we send you our newsletter no. 153, about the Mission

Theo van Zuilekom

--
havenlicht@chello.nl
+31 36 5370340
www.havenlicht.com

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Newsletter Summer 2018 no.153 From the desk. In this News Bulletin you can meet a new co-worker, active in the ports of Delfzijl and Eemshaven. We wish you happy reading-time going through the reports below. They were sent to us over the last months. A reminder to those new to our work: We’d be happy to come to your church, fellowship, house-gathering or group to tell more about our work in the ports. We’d love to hear from you!

Delfzijl, Eemshaven, to trust in God! My name is Peter Jan Kapteijn. Yes, I’ve come to know already that my surname has favoured me well: people treating me with “respect” on board the ships. I must add that I have no more experience with ships other than having rented a sailing dingy now and then. I am married to José. I am a professional photographer but am in the process of stepping back from the work. For those who wish to marry, I no longer do photo sessions! I gained some experience with gospel work being member of a team in the city of Groningen. About six months ago I started thinking of doing gospel work in my own neighbourhood. Of course, I wanted to continue in the city, speaking to all those people, mostly students and through it I’ve had some fantastic conversations. One can marvel how frank and open one can be, when able to speak about our Saviour! But my own neighbourhood needs Jesus too. Although brought up in the city of Utrecht, I’ve been living in the township of Spijk already for 13 years. It lies between Eemshaven and Delfzijl. How good would it be to bring the Gospel here also. These last thirteen years I have been following with great interest the development of the port of Eemshaven. It was for years a desolate area concerning the shipping-trade , its activities mainly consisting of maintaining a ferry service with the German Isle of Borkum. Now the port is humming with life. Quite some industry has settled here and large Power stations were built. The port itself has been enlarged with new quay-sides and at this moment Eemshaven is quite involved in the building up of wind parks, both in the coastal region of Holland as well as in Germany. Compared with the Rotterdam port however, as for size, it is a rather moderate one. My wish to evangelise in these ports still needed a further boost to make it happen and first of all it needed to be prayed about. Till recently the ports with its ships and crews remained firmly closed to me. But by some way, a few months ago, I came to know about the Havenlicht Port mission. After contacting them and talking things over, the “lights” literarily went on green for me. For six weeks already now I have been visiting the ports. In looking back it is so great to think that you actually started to follow Jesus: having conquered your doubts and simply trusting, doing what He has asked of you. Like as it is written in 1 Peter 2:21b where it says: “Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps”. I started the adventure together with Theo. He was my guide for a whole day and we went to work by laying contacts with the various agencies, showing me the way and how the first steps had to be taken to come aboard the ships. It was a “kick-off” start for me in which I gained so much insight. As time passed by, I have been in contact with captains, crewmembers and with co-workers of the Mission to Seamen establishments. On several occasions I went to the Ports with my friend Hidde. We had worked together before in street missions in Groningen. Now the two of us have been several times to Eemshaven port . Looking back I am with wonderment of the many good talks I have had, the handing out of the different materials like Bibles, bible studies, woollen hats and jumpers etc. I think of the moments that I could pray for the sailors. Of all the impressions and adventures I keep a BLOG ( www.hetgelovenwaard.nl) in the hope that it will make others just as keen to be involved in gospel work as I am. Out of this Blog I want to share some special impressions and adventures with you, but in fact, all encounters are unique. We sow and we reap, but only God can change people. The first time after my “kick-off” start with Theo I made an appointment with my friend Hidde to also come and visit the ships. On the way to the ports I felt rather tense and so I prayed ( with my eyes open ) to the Lord, saying: “God, if it is your will that I am doing this work, please confirm it in a special way, showing that this is for me”. I asked for complete liberty to be able to speak about Jesus. After this prayer I felt more at ease. Shortly after arriving at Eemshaven, Hidde showed up and we went to work. After calling on some ships we at last came to a tugboat called En Avant 10. Two Philippine sailors came to greet us and one of them asked us to come inside. We were happy with such a clear invitation. Once inside we first had a conversation with the captain. Although not a believer himself, we received all liberty to speak to the crew. In a small mess room we sat down at a table. The cook left to go to his galley but sometime later a young fellow from Aruba joined us. His Dutch was fluent and he had a Catholic background. He had a dislike to images and also those costly buildings didn’t find favour with him . He told us that he read the Bible App of YouVersion. He continued saying that he had been baptised on grounds of his personal belief. I started explaining about our great King and especially of the power of Faith. As for the other Philippino, this was all strange to him but he was an good listener. Hidde then put a question to him: “are you born again?”. That started off a much deepen conversation. It became all very special because our Philippino friend really wanted to get to know Jesus. Hidde told how Jesus died for his sins and if we confess our sins, God will forgive our sins completely. And so it happened that a young sailor on board of a tugboat in Eemshaven gave his life to Jesus. For his Aruban comrade this of course was fantastic. His colleague/friend was born again and together they could now read and study the Bible. Time passed rapidly and after prayer in which we blessed the crew , the ship and the families back home, we took our leave at 17.30 hours and saying good bye to our brethren in the Lord. Just before we had exchanged E-mail addresses and cards. We left booklets and CD,s at the table. It was a beautiful day and suddenly I was reminded of my prayer in the car on the way to the ports. What confirmation this day proved to be. God is good! On another visit to Eemshaven on July the 18th Hidde and I visited ,among other ships ,the vessel Langeoog. The Ukrainian watchman contacted the Russian captain and we were given permission to come aboard. He accompanied us to the mess room where a young Philippino seaman was having his dinner. We introduced ourselves and after finishing his meal ,a nice conversation followed. I told him how Jesus had come into my life and how He had changed my life. Hidde asked if he was born again. It was great talking to this person and to see how he was touched by it. ( He had started on his first sea journey and had been on board only six weeks). The cook was also from the Philippines and soon offered us coffee. Sometime later he asked us if we would like something to eat. This turned out to be a complete dinner with soup, baked potatoes, broccoli cabbage and meat. During our meal we continued the conversation. Hidde had a short but nice talk with a young man from Sri Lanka. In the end we passed on Bibles, bible studies and CD’s. Our bulky bag of woollen hats had shrunk considerably in size. We had been aboard for nearly one and a half hours. We were told that the ship was being made ready to go to sea, but would return to the Eemshaven later on in the month. In looking back I can clearly see that God blesses you when you follow Him. Forever-Praise His Name! Jan Peter and José Kapteijn.

Amsterdam 1 Also in the past period we have contacted and spoken to many sailors. I’ve noted down for you some of their countries. We met people from Malaysia, France, Indonesia, Lithuania, the Ukraine, the Philippines, Poland, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, the Netherlands, Russia, Italy, South Africa, New Zealand. To the list could be added even more countries where our sailor friends have come from. “We were just talking about you”…..With these words I was greeted after setting my first steps on an enormous ship. “Look, there he is” ,you could hear and I then shook hands with the men. From time to time we are asked to hold a church service on board. Once when I arrived on a ship to do this, the complete electrical system on board had broken down. It was pitch dark and everybody had been called upon to fix matters. So often we pray for the seafarers and read the Bible with them. It also happens sometimes that we have a good laugh with the men. Our first task however is to listen to their story, their need.
Soon then come the pictures of their families to show to me in a proud way. How completely happy a Philippino sailor was with a Bible in Ilocano! “My language” he cried and pressed the Bible to his heart. “In my own native tongue” he kept saying. It meant so much to him. This last season we could distribute many knitted woollen hats, warm coats, jumpers, shoes, pants and on one occasion even nice ties. Not forgetting to mention of course the souvenir bottle ships and nice wooden crosses , both with a printed message at the back. They were very welcome. A hearty thanks for your prayers and expressions of friendship ,meaning you are standing by us! With cordial greetings, Theo and Yvonne van Zuilekom.

Region IJmuiden Brothers and sisters. We know that many of you are praying for us on a regular basis and especially because of Anneke’s weak health condition. It was the reason that we haven’t been to the ports these last 4 weeks. At one stage we were asking ourselves: should we continue this work among the seamen? These last days however the Lord has shown us in various ways that He is still behind us in all that we are doing. It so happened that on June the 4th we drove to the ports once more to see if the Lord would give us a confirmation. In fact, we plainly asked for it. Anneke would remain in the car and I would go aboard the ships. At the Tata Steelworks two Bulk Carriers were berthed. One was laden with coal and the other with iron ore. Both ships were moored stem to stern. This meant boarding would be difficult but all went well. (first confirmation). The first ship had Ukrainian Officers and a Philippino crew. These sailors were very happy with what we had brought with us: Bibles in their own language and different kinds of literature, also in their language. The wooden crosses made by our co-worker were very welcome. Two men were relieved from their work on deck to accompany me to my car where Anneke was waiting. They received some fine bags of clothing, woollen hats and scarves and also when they asked, an extra Bible each. Anneke had brought along a new pair of gym shoes, size 44. “What is the size of your shoes”, she asked one of the Philippino’s. It was size 44 ! And that made it our second confirmation. We prayed for them and this is always appreciated by them. With a thankful heart the two men then returned to their ship. The second vessel moored there at Tata steelworks was registered under the Turkish flag and had 6 Turkish Officers and also a Philippino crew. The Second Officer came to lead us to the captain’s cabin and we meet a friendly and educated man. He is quite content with the souvenir bottle ship and it receives a special place in one of the portholes. I tell him, knowing he is a Muslim, about God my heavenly Father and about Jesus, the Saviour of the world. Nearly all Shipmasters are in need for a listening ear because of their responsibility and the decisions they have to make. I let him read Philippians 4:6 and 7 from the Turkish Bible that I hand to him. He reads the verses slowly and carefully. He nods in an understanding way and I can nearly guess what he is thinking: this is so much different than the Koran. I explain the verses to him and he looks at me in a special way. Lord, speak to him! The captain agrees to read the Turkish Bible ( third confirmation). He also receives a Turkish –A letter for you – to explain matters further. The Second Officer had, from a distance, been listening to our conversation. When he accompanies me to the gangway, he shares with me that he understands it to be very important to know your eternal destiny.( fourth confirmation) Indeed it is important! He also receives a Turkish Bible and a – Letter for you-. The Philippino’s on board were also given Bibles and biblical literature, but then of course in their language. Two men came back to the car with me where they receive from Anneke two bags of clothing and some bibles. We pray to our heavenly Father for these two Nomads-of-the-sea, for their family members in the Philippines. With a thankful heart they walk back to the gangway.(fifth confirmation). So, quite encouraged Anneke and I just continue on our way in God’s service. “But Lord, please come and help us!” As for you ,dear brothers and sisters, please continue praying for us. With friendly greetings and God’s blessing, Jan and Anneke Best.

Rotterdam 1 On the ships you meet all kinds of people. A not so-young-anymore sailor is scrubbing the deck and we start talking. He then asks for a Bible and he is in luck for I have a Russian bible in my bag and pass it on to Vladimir. On another ship I meet a young person from the Philippines. It is his first voyage had and just started his apprenticeship . He tells me about his Christian family back home and recognises that what I’m saying is coming from the Bible. He shares things with me and has questions and so this meeting with Aris and me is an instructive and pleasant one. What counts is what we have in common, being one in the Saviour. Joseph, also from the Philippines, is a rather young sailor and is quite frank in saying that going to sea is often not to his liking: the long periods away from home and the stressful life on board the ship. I share with him that we may know that God is ever present, even in a time when it seems to be just one of “surviving”. One of the two Vietnamese sailors aboard tells me he is not a Christian but seems interested somehow when I show him a DVD in his language. On another ship it looked as if I had come aboard for nothing but I started to feel better when in the end some crewmembers wanted to have a booklet, the St. Johns gospel, a CD and a DVD in their own language. Both Buddhists and Muslims, I discovered several times, appeared to be open and receptive to my message. “For the grace has appeared for the salvation of all men”.( Titus 2:11). With friendly greetings from the port of Rotterdam, Wout de Vries.

Amsterdam 2 During my first visit to the ports with Theo I was surprised to see that Theo shook hands with every seaman we met, introducing himself and asking for the man’s name. For me it seemed a too amicable way to greet persons for the first time. In the mean time I’ve learnt that this is a most important gesture to seamen. On board they are often just a number, part of the system of Rank and File and here for seamen they undergo it as a positive and surprising experience when someone comes on deck like that: he shows he is interested in you, wanting to know your name and how you are feeling. For me it can lead to hilarious moments when I try to pronounce the name of a Chinese seaman for instance. Names often have a meaning. Marien ( my first name) means: manfrom-the-sea but in fact, I am not a seaman at all. This can sometimes be the start of a conversation and a link to the name of Jesus can be quickly laid : “Have you ever heard of the name Jesus? It means Saviour, Redeemer and Jesus is Lord for He conquered even death “. It is our purpose and calling to give off a clear prophetic sound in the ports and on the ships. It is challenging however to find the right tone every time. Prayer and the leading of the Holy Spirit is so needful. It does happen that I tend to let myself be intimidated by the large port areas, its huge ships and all the hectic involved. Firstly you must do your utmost to get on the ships, then you must watch your steps in the portarea itself and finally you meet up with crews who aren’t interested in the Gospel. Sometimes you must improvise for some sailors don’t speak English at all and then communication is next to impossible. At times it seems better to depart from the ship when you come to realise that nobody is taking any notice of you, not wanting to spend any time with you. At what moment however must you make such a decision?
Does my report now appear to have a plaintive note? No, absolutely no! It is not just any kind of message we’ve come to bring to the crews!! In this way I handed a Chinese Bible to a Chinese sailor and let him read 1 Timothy 1:15. “The saying is sure and worthy of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners”. The sailor nods and gladly accepts a Bible . On another ship, to my surprise, I meet a Syrian crew. The caretaker first asked me if I knew any Serbian, but he actually meant Syrian. Earlier this year though, I had been on a Syrian ship. It is Ramadan so I won’t be invited for lunch. No matter, but the crew surely must be curious on seeing a “stranger” board the ship. I am invited in for a cup of strong Arabian coffee instead. I feel at home with these men and we talk about many subjects, always looking for an opportunity in between times to explain the Gospel. To my presence some nod with their head, others react in a negative way. Still, there is this young Officer showing a sincere interest. He approaches me without attracting too much attention to inquire after some literature and CD’s. To my regret I have no Arabian material with me but luckily he speaks English well. On a next ship with an Indian crew the watchman wants to know my purpose for coming aboard. This time I tell him frankly that I have come to talk about Jesus with anybody who wants to hear my message. The sailor shrugs his shoulder and it is OK with the captain. I am shown the way to the mess room and after sitting there for a while ,a straight line of people marches in. It happens to be the Christian half of the crew, thinking I have come to hold a church service. Sorry, but this was not the planning. But in looking back, we had a good fellowship there all the same. When it was time for me to leave, we read some verses from the Bible as is their custom to do so. It was from Isaiah 51. In verse 5b we read:” the coastlands wait for me, and for My arm they hope “. The coastlands, they are lands far away from us and just these lands we are reaching, presented as it were on our doormat in our ports! In parting we prayed and worshipped together. One of the men had just received news that he had become a father and another person could start on his furlough the next day. In leaving the ship, the First Officer, quite moved, said that this visit had been so important to him. “There are so few port missionaries that come to visit us.” For me a great encouragement and confirmation to continue with my work in the ports. Marien Gijsbertsen.

Rotterdam, Muslims and the Bible.
Since a few months now, when arriving on ships, I encounter more and more Muslims. I rather like it and for me it is challenging to start a conversation with them. While talking to them I want to share as much of the Gospel with them as possible. In this way I have built up good contacts with Turkish Muslims as well as with some Indonesian Muslims. I consider it to be successful when they take a Bible or Gospel , wanting to read in it. On board of a small Container ship which was in a drydock, an accident had happened. A sailor had been injured while removing rust. He had used an electric drill with a steel wire brush spinning from the chuck and one of the steel bristles had come loose. Even while wearing safety glasses it had got underneath them and struck his eye. His luck held for he could be taken quickly to the Eye and Ear Hospital. He was operated on and the steel wire was successfully removed. He was told to take a complete resting period for a whole month. He wasn’t allowed to work or to fly home and was to remain on the ship the whole time. That of course, was terribly boring to him. During a visit, after dinner, I had a talk with him and asked what he was doing the whole day. “I read”. So I asked: “What are you reading?” “The Koran”, he answered. So we talked some about the Koran and “other religious books” of God, the Old and New Testament. During our conversation I was able to explain the complete Gospel to him and challenged him to also read the Bible, to compare it with the Koran. He agreed to do this and accepted an Indonesian Bible from me. My prayer is that by reading God’s Word ( which is definitely not the Koran) he will come to a living Faith! A hearty greeting from Felix Henrichs.

The seafarers mentioned in this newsletter do have in actual life different names. For privacy reasons the proper names are not mentioned. The photo’s in this bulletin are printed with permission. Our deep thanks to: “WIN-NL Seafarers’ Ministry”, Dutch Seamen Society, Seamen's Centre Amsterdam, Global Recordings Network, Ark Mission, Evangelism Foreigners Service, The Bible Society, Pocket Testament League, Christian Aid Ministries, Operation Mobilization and other unnamed organizations, who all in their own specific way, contribute to do the job well.

We would like to ask prayer once more for the health of the co-workers. Particularly for Anneke Best. Prayer is also needed for new co-workers in the ports of Harlingen and Delfzijl. A hearty thanks for all you valuable prayers and other tokens of fellowship. In this way God is working, also through you, in order that sailors can hear His Word and accept it. We are grateful towards God for the many chances to be a blessing to seafarers.

Bible-Fit app also in Dutch, Spanish and Arabic. GRN app over 6350 languages. Both apps, you can download for free on smartphone tablet or computer

Amsterdam: Theo van Zuilekom wthvzuilekom@gmail.com Yvonne van Zuilekom yhvzuilekom@gmail.com Marien Gijsbertsen marchris@solcon.nl Cruise ships: Jan Best janbest.sr@gmail.com Anneke Best annekebest@gmail.com Jan Gooijer jan.gooijer@live.nl Rotterdam: Felix Henrichs felix.henrichs@scfs.org Wout de Vries woutdevries4@gmail.com Beverwijk, IJmuiden: Jan en Anneke Best janbest.sr@gmail.com Delfzijl, Eemshaven: Jan Peter en José Kapteijn j.p.kapteijn@hotmail.com Harlingen: Jan Gooijer jan.gooijer@live.nl Flexible: Michiel Kramers m.kramers@hotmail.com Translations,Wooden Crosses Bottle Ships: Gerrit Huisman ghuisman@live.nl Webmaster: Tom Hofkamp tomhofkamp@solcon.nl Ambassador: Robbert Speelman r.speelman@me.com Board: Chairman: Theo van Zuilekom wthvzuilekom@gmail.com Secretary: Jan Best janbest.sr@gmail.com Treasurer: Jan Gooijer jan.gooijer@live.nl General, Addresses: Wim de Baat wimdebaat@gmail.com

Terug naar