MUSINGS OF AN OLDER MAN. (by Richard Haverkamp)

Gebruikers-avatar
Ton
BerichtenCOLON 3455
GeregistreerdCOLON Do Jan 07, 2016 11:08 am

MUSINGS OF AN OLDER MAN. (by Richard Haverkamp)

Berichtdoor Ton » Ma Nov 12, 2018 5:11 pm

It’s been more than two years since I wrote the last episode, number 200 of my “Musings.” These have been, as many of you will know, put into book form with the title, “The God Who is real.” It is still available on Amazon and Chapters, but I also have some left if you would like one. I want to start writing again. I recently read in Psalm 105, “Oh, give thanks to the Lord! Call upon His name; make known His deeds among the people! Sing unto Him, sing Psalms to Him; talk of all His wondrous works.” Ps.111:2, 4, “The works of the Lord are great; studied by all who have pleasure in them.” “He has made His wonderful works to be remembered.”
That’s exactly what I would like to do, “make known His deeds among the people,” and “talk of all His wondrous works.” “God’s works” are mentioned more than 40 times in the Psalms. And yes, how we need to be reminded of His great works. On the day of Pentecost, “We hear them speaking in our own tongues (languages) the wonderful works of God.” Acts 2. I want to write about ‘amazing’ things. I want to give examples from nature, from Christian experience, from science, etc. and hopefully these will thrill your heart. If you know of any, please pass them on to me. I don’t know how often I can post something, it will depend on my health situation. I hope that I will soon have the first posted. God bless you.

Richard Haverkamp,
Elmira, Ontario.
(www.facebook.com/richard.haverkamp.5)
[rhaverkamp7@gmail.com]
Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of theFather, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost Matthew 28 : 19

Gebruikers-avatar
Ton
BerichtenCOLON 3455

Re: MUSINGS OF AN OLDER MAN. (by Richard Haverkamp)

Berichtdoor Ton » Ma Nov 12, 2018 5:12 pm

Amazing things.

The Hummingbird. Someone has called it, “Creation’s superhero,” I call it, “God’s little hero.”
It is an absolutely amazing creature, judge for yourself.

Hummingbirds are native species of the New World and are not found outside of the Western Hemisphere except in a few zoos or aviaries. There are no hummingbirds found in Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia or Antarctica. There are more than 325 unique species in the world.
Hummingbirds cannot walk or hop, though their feet can be used to scoot sideways while they are perched. Roughly 25-30 percent of a hummingbird’s weight is in its pectoral muscles. These are the broad chest muscles principally responsible for flight. A hummingbird’s maximum forward flight speed is 30 miles per hour. These birds can reach up to 60 miles per hour in a dive. A hummingbird’s wings beat between 50 and 200 flaps per second depending on the direction of the flight, the purpose of their flight and the surrounding air conditions. They can fly forward, backward, upward and downward. Amazing little helicopters. Millions of dollars have been unsuccessfully invested in biomimetic engineering attempts to duplicate this complex system of biomechanical wonders. However, evolutionists believe that random mutations, natural selection, and millions of years can do better than brilliant engineers. It makes more sense to explain the brilliant hummingbird design as created by a brilliant divine Designer.
An average hummingbird’s heart rate is more than 1,200 beats per minute. In comparison, a human's average heart rate is only 60-100 beats per minute at rest. At rest, a hummingbird takes an average of 250 breaths per minute. Their breathing pace will increase when they are in flight. To support such ‘breathtaking’ metabolism, this marvel must eat almost constantly to get the energy needed. Every day, it extracts nectar from up to 2,000 flowers. In addition to nectar, these birds also eat many small insects and spiders, and may also sip tree sap or juice from broken fruits. Hummingbirds do not suck nectar through their long bills, they lick it with fringed, forked tongues. Capillary action along the fringe of their tongue helps draw nectar up into their throats so they can swallow. It can lick 10-15 times per second while feeding. It digests natural sucrose - the sugar found in floral nectar - in 20 minutes with 97 percent efficiency for converting the sugar into energy.
The rufous hummingbird has the longest migration of any hummingbird species. These hummers fly more than 3,000 miles from their nesting grounds in Alaska and Canada to their winter habitat in Mexico. The ruby-throated hummingbird flies 500 miles nonstop across the Gulf of Mexico during both its spring and fall migrations.
This little bird is absolutely amazing and evidence of our great God, the Creator.

Richard Haverkamp,
Elmira, Ontario.
[rhaverkamp7@gmail.com]
Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of theFather, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost Matthew 28 : 19

Gebruikers-avatar
Ton
BerichtenCOLON 3455

Berichtdoor Ton » Za Nov 17, 2018 12:27 pm

Richard Haverkamp

AMAZING THINGS. (2)

The testimony of a boy in Malawi, one of the poorest countries in Africa, proving the power of the Gospel of Christ.

This is a boy named Foster, aged 14, who gave some very interesting comments when I (John, of the Good Hope team) was asking how our lessons helped him (we had gone to his village a few months ago to do all our programs there). Instead of just telling me how he loved the Forgiving Father lesson, he spoke about how his parents have been affected with the lessons and he said “Since my parents came to your programs, my father has stopped beating my mom and I have never seen him drinking again. He would always come home late and they would argue all night and it always ended up with my mom crying after being beaten up by him. I was always scared of what was happening in our family and I thought there was no hope for us and that we would always be like that. But luckily, I saw that they both came to the lessons here and since that day I knew that something definitely changed. My father now works hard to pay for school fees for us and provide us with all our needs at home. I do not know what they were taught in those lessons, but I assure you, it was life-changing. We now live a happy life that I always dreamt of. I am so thankful to God for sending the Good Hope team here to deliver the wonderful news. Even myself, I learned so much about the forgiving father lesson and I understand what that story is all about. I am happy to know that God loves us and cares for us all. Thank God for this ministry.”
How amazing and beautiful.
Yes, the apostle Paul was right when he wrote to the Romans that he was not ashamed of the gospel of Christ for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes. The gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ is not just a nice story, it is a message, the only message on earth, with power, the power to change the selfish heart of man.

For more, see http://goodhopeministry.com/

Richard Haverkamp,
Elmira, Ontario.
[rhaverkamp7@gmail.com]

Gebruikers-avatar
Ton
BerichtenCOLON 3455

Berichtdoor Ton » Za Nov 24, 2018 12:12 pm

Richard Haverkamp :

AMAZING THINGS (3)

“The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament shows His handiwork.” Psalm 19:1.
Have you ever looked at the insight of a clock or one of these modern-day watches? How fine and complex everything is? And all the little parts must be exactly in place, otherwise, the thing does not work. That’s the way it is with our universe and earth. The universe is extremely fine-tuned or designed. There are 122 constants, things that do not change, that are continues, eternal, persistent, unceasing and so on. (“I don’t have enough faith to be an atheist,” page 106). It is not possible to cover all these in this short article, let me just show you a few and I’ll come back to them in a later article. I just want to mention some that have to do with our planet.

Our earth is EXACTLY the right size. We are aware of the effects of reduced or increased gravity on the other planets in our solar system. There is either too much or too little. The earth is just the right size for its inhabitants. Because of this, water remains in a liquid state. Lesser gravity and the water would be lost to space due to the greater evaporation of cold water caused by lower atmospheric pressure.

The earth spins at EXACTLY the correct speed. The spin of the earth is ideal for producing day and night. Longer days would cause a greater warming-up effect and, conversely, longer nights — colder. A faster rate of spin would produce constant violent weather conditions.

Notice the EXACTLY correct orbit of the earth. It only varies slightly in its distance from the sun, causing relatively small variations in temperature. A more elliptical orbit (as some other planets have) would be devastating for life on Earth.

EXACTLY the perfect distance from the sun. If we were 10 percent closer to the sun, the earth would have furnace-like temperatures, and 10 percent farther away would produce icy deserts. Also, the oceans would boil off or freeze solid respectively so there could be no life as we know it.

And finally, EXACTLY the right construction of the earth offers a vast supply of resources, such as wood, metals, animals, plants, and a host of others that are useful for mankind. In addition, Earth has the right conditions to permit the formation and maintenance of the ozone layer in the atmosphere to protect us. It has a magnetic field which helps deflect harmful radiation from the sun. The magnetic field also aids navigation for man and beast. Our atmosphere is composed of just the right gases, unlike some of the noxious combinations found elsewhere in our solar system. In other words, everything is JUST RIGHT, isn’t that absolutely amazing!? Doesn’t that just thrill your heart?
(Bates, Gary. Alien Intrusion (p. 113-114). Creation Book Publishers. Kindle Edition.)

Now, what does all this mean that everything is EXACTLY right? To what conclusion do we come? It’s been designed that way. And every design has a designer. The universe and the earth have a highly complex design. Therefore, the universe has a Designer. As Antony Flew, the world’s most notorious atheist has said, “We must go where the evidence leads us, THERE IS A GOD.”

Gebruikers-avatar
Ton
BerichtenCOLON 3455

Berichtdoor Ton » Za Dec 01, 2018 12:33 pm

Richard Haverkamp :

MUSINGS. (4)

About 2000 years ago there stood a Man in Jerusalem and He said something like this, “If you acknowledge your sinfulness and believe on Me, God will give you His Holy Spirit and your life will change and never be the same again.”
In 1960 I did what the Man had said and, lo and behold, I found that His words are true. I received God’s Holy Spirit and my life changed and has not been the same ever since.
AMAZING.
Not only that, but I started discovering that there were others around me who had had the same experience, and then, as I traveled, because of my work, all over Europe, Canada and parts of the US, I met many who had God’s Holy Spirit just like I.
Then I heard from reliable sources that in South America there are millions upon millions of people like me.
And from my two daughters and three granddaughters who have all been in Africa, I heard that there are millions and millions of such like people on that continent.
And in the Middle East, there are many, yes, many people who have that same Spirit.
Further east, in China, estimates are between 50 million and 100 million people who have had the same experience as I.
AMAZING.
And as time passed, I discovered there are people like me all over the world, in pretty well every country, from every culture, and from every age, and every level of intelligence, black people, white people, colored people and you name it.
And to my great surprise and delight, I found out that all these people had one common bond, God’s Holy Spirit and together formed the largest family and the greatest living organism on earth, and I am part of that.
That has all come to pass because of what that Man said 2000 years ago.
How does one explain that?
AMAZING.
Are you part of this family?

Richard Haverkamp,
Elmira, Ontario.
[rhaverkamp7@gmail.com]

Gebruikers-avatar
Ton
BerichtenCOLON 3455

Berichtdoor Ton » Vr Dec 07, 2018 11:50 am

Richard Haverkamp :

AMAZING THINGS. (5)

A mouse trap and the universe.

You may wonder, what does a mouse trap have to do with the universe? What is so amazing about that? Let me explain. When you have problems with a mouse or with mice in your house, you need a mousetrap, (see image). To have an effective mousetrap, three things are necessary, first, you need all five parts. When one part is missing, the trap won’t work. Secondly, all the parts need to be exactly in the right place. To have them just placed here and there makes the trap useless. Thirdly, an intelligence is needed to assemble the parts, so they are in the right place. What a simple, yet wonderful illustration of the universe and our planet earth. To have a livable planet, we need, just like with the mousetrap, three things. First, all the parts. We need planet earth, a sun, a moon, other planets, stars, and several other things. Secondly, we need these to be in the right place. For example, the distance between the sun and the earth needs to be just right, otherwise, the earth is not livable. And, the distance between the moon, which is exactly in the correct position, and the sun and the earth must be just right. We need to have the earth in the right place in the universe, with the right size, with the right tilt, spinning with the right speed, and having the right combination of nitrogen and oxygen, plus small amounts of other gasses. Thirdly, we need an intelligence to put this all in place, just like with the mousetrap, or the earth will not be livable. Is it all in place? Is it all working? Is planet earth livable? Oh yes, it certainly is. ISN’T THIS AMAZING? Who was that Intelligence? Did everything after a so-called “Big Bang” come together, just right, by itself? Could the five parts of a mouse trap assemble themselves? Of course not. You see, that’s why I believe in an Intelligence, that’s why I believe in God and that’s why I worship Him.

Richard Haverkamp,
Elmira, Ontario.
[rhaverkamp7@gmail.com]

Gebruikers-avatar
Ton
BerichtenCOLON 3455

Berichtdoor Ton » Za Dec 15, 2018 2:45 pm

Richard Haverkamp :

AMAZING THINGS. (6)

Did you know that there is a small five letter word that is only mentioned three times in the Bible and all three have the same connection? I’ll explain in a moment, but first this:
Many people do not realize that one of the most AMAZING things on this planet is the Bible, the Word of God also called the Holy Scriptures. I could write pages and pages about it. It is absolutely unique. Unique in that it was written over a period of about 1500 years by some 40 different writers, in three languages, on three continents, and yet, it is so one in its content and in its unity. It was the first large book translated, the first sizeable book printed, the Bestseller at all times, and at the same time the most loved and most hated book on earth. It gives us such amazing accurate scientific facts, and how about the many, yes, many hundreds of prophecies, just AMAZING, wouldn’t you say? And what the about the power of God’s word, the power that has changed so many lives all over the world, isn’t that AMAZING? All these things are evidence that the Bible wasn’t written just by men, but as Peter said, “holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.” 2Pe.1:21. But there is also an inward witness to the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. I could give you many examples, but I will just show you one. The one five letter word referred to earlier and which is used only three times in the Bible, is found in Genesis, in Ezekiel, and in Luke. And there is one thing that connects these three, amazing. The word is ‘sweat.’
Gen. 3:19, “In the sweat of your face you shall eat bread.” Sweat is the symbol or token of the curse God had placed on the earth after Adam and Eve sinned.
Ez.44:18, “They (the priests) shall have linen turbans on their heads and linen trousers on their bodies; they shall not clothe themselves with anything that causes sweat.” They were not allowed to come into the presence of God with this symbol of the curse.
Luke 22:44, “And being in agony, He prayed more earnestly. Then His sweat became like great drops of blood falling down to the ground.” Jesus sweat because He became a curse for us.
Now isn’t that amazing? Three times and each time in connection with the curse. Only the Holy Spirit could have written that, praise God. I believe we take the Bible too much for granted, it is indeed the most AMAZING book on earth. Read it!

Richard Haverkamp,
Elmira, Ontario.
[rhaverkamp7@gmail.com]

Gebruikers-avatar
Ton
BerichtenCOLON 3455

Berichtdoor Ton » Ma Dec 24, 2018 3:58 pm

Richard Haverkamp

AMAZING THINGS. (7)

“Bad news”, Jesus was not born on December 25. But, AMAZING news, when He WAS born and knowing that may thrill your heart as it did mine. In the gospel of Luke, chapter 2, the shepherds are watching their flocks, not in the winter, but starting about half of March-begin April. That’s the Hebrew month of Nisan. Why were the shepherds outside during the night? Because it was the time for lambs to be born. Interesting, what a time for God’s Lamb to be born. Isn’t something that shepherds looking for newborn lambs were chosen by God to be the first ones to see God’s newborn Lamb? AMAZING. Lambs born around Bethlehem were used to be sacrificed in the temple. What a picture of God’s sacrificial Lamb born in Bethlehem. AMAZING. In John’s gospel, 1:14, it says that the Word became flesh and dwelt (tabernacled) among us. One of the best pictures of Christ in the O.T. is the tabernacle. How long did it take to build the tabernacle? Nine months. How long was Jesus in Mary’s womb? Nine months. AMAZING. When was the tabernacle finished, when did God come to dwell among them? On the first day of the first month, the month Nisan, the biblical New Years day for the Jews. Every important event in Jesus’ life fell on a Jewish holy day. His triumphant entry on Palm Sunday when the people would bring their lambs to Jerusalem, so God brought His Lamb also. His death on Passover. He rose on the day of the First Fruits. He sent His Spirit on the Jewish feast of Pentecost. Jesus fulfills the feasts, but he also fulfills the theme of the feasts. Is there a day on the Hebrew calendar that would fulfill the theme of the Messiah’s birth? What does His birth mean? A new beginning. What special day would fulfill this? If there is one, it would be Nisan 1. In the O.T. on the first of Nisan God came to dwell among His people. In the light of all this, wouldn’t be reasonable to think that Jesus also came to dwell among us on the first of Nisan? Quite AMAZING isn’t? The coming of Jesus, a new begin, a new calendar, the old has passed, the new has come. Praise God. Now, don’t let this dating thing spoil your Christmas, the date is interesting but not most important, His coming is, and we celebrate that on December 25. He was born in a stable, has He been born in your heart? Why not let Him in? Merry Christmas to all with much of God’s peace and presence. (To be continued).

Richard Haverkamp,
Elmira, Ontario.
[rhaverkamp7@gmail.com]

Gebruikers-avatar
Ton
BerichtenCOLON 3455

Berichtdoor Ton » Do Dec 27, 2018 3:57 pm

Richard Haverkamp :

AMAZING THINGS. (8)

Every time I read the story in Luke 2, I have to smile. Here is this mighty man, Caesar Augustus, the most powerful man in the then known world and he issues a degree that everyone in his ‘kingdom’, the Roman Empire should be registered.
The poor man must have felt pretty important but did not realize that he was just a pawn in God’s hand.
Proverbs 21:1 says, “The king’s heart is in the hand of the Lord, like the rivers of water; He turns it wherever He wishes.”
He did not realize that it was almighty God who had put the thought in his mind to issue this degree.
And why had God done that?
Because more than 700 years earlier the prophet Micah had written, “But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, though you are little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of you shall come forth to Me The One to be Ruler in Israel, Whose goings forth are from of old, from everlasting.” Micha 5:2.
There are two Bethlehem’s in Israel, but Micah pointed to the right one, imagine, 700 years earlier.
And now, according to God’s schedule, the time had come for the fulfillment of this wonderful prophecy.
However, there was a problem because the parents of this yet unborn Ruler lived in Nazareth and not Bethlehem, so God had to do something to get them to Bethlehem.
He could have sent an angel to Joseph, as He had done before, but He chose to touch Caesar’s heart and mind, AMAZING.
Not only that, but it says in Luke 2, ``So all went to be registered, every one to his own city. ``
In other words, the whole Roman empire came in motion, all these people, and none had any idea of what was really going on.
And all this because a prophecy had to be fulfilled, God’ Son was to be born.
Again, AMAZING.
It must have taken quite some time for Joseph and Mary to make that 90-mile gruesome journey on foot and with a donkey, but they arrived right on schedule, at the right moment and at the right place, for the Son of God to be born.
God had planned it so, that they did not have to travel in de summer, the hottest time of the year, neither in the winter, the coldest time, but in the Spring, right at the time that shepherds were out in the fields watching for lambs to be born.
And now God`s Lamb was also going to be born, and these shepherds who were looking for newborn lambs were the first to see God`s newborn Lamb, absolutely AMAZING.
I just praise God.
Luke wrote that “all had to be registered.” Why not let this Christmas season be special and open your heart to that Ruler who died for you, and you also will be registered,…… in His book.

Richard Haverkamp,
Elmira, Ontario.
[rhaverkamp7@gmail.com]

Gebruikers-avatar
Ton
BerichtenCOLON 3455

Berichtdoor Ton » Wo Jan 02, 2019 2:10 pm

Richard Haverkamp :

AMAZING THINGS. (9)

A New Year’s challenge, but first this:

PURE CHANCE or PERFECT DESIGN?

How about the following, the hatching of eggs, potato bug 7 days, canary 14 days, barnyard hen 21 days, ducks or geese 28 days, mallard 35 days, parrot and ostrich 42 days. Notice that they are all divisible by 7. Seven is the number of completeness and perfection, more than 600 times in the Bible (NKJ version), almost 40 times in Revelation’s. (7 churches, 7 seals, 7 spirits, 7 angels, etc. etc. etc.)
And what about these? Each watermelon has an even number of stripes on the ring, each orange has an even number of segments, each ear of corn has an even number of rows, each stalk of wheat has an even number of grains, each bunch of bananas has on its lowest row an even number of bananas, each row decreases by one, so that one row has an even number and the next row an odd number, amazing. All grains are found in even numbers on the stalks. The waves of the sea roll in on shore with the regularity of a clock in all kinds of weather. Flowers blossom at certain specified times during the day. Linnaeus, the great botanist, once said that if he had a conservatory containing the right kind of soil, moisture, and temperature, he could tell the time of day or night by the flowers that were open and those that were closed.

Is this all by chance or can we admit that there is design? And if there is design, there must be a Designer. And if that Designer, the Almighty Creator, Who is so great that the heaven of heavens cannot contain Him, is interested in the details of the hatching of eggs, the fruits, and the grains, the timing of the flowers blossoming, and the regularity of the ocean waves, do you not think He is interested in the details of your life? Why not, at the beginning of a New Year, 2019, commit your life completely to Him, listen to His Word and to the quiet voice of His Spirit, and trust Him to work out the details of your life? Rest and rejoice in Him. Wishing you a wonderful and hopeful New Year, with much of God’s presence, peace, and power. Jesus said, “Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.” John 14:27.

Richard Haverkamp,
Elmira, Ontario.
[rhaverkamp7@gmail.com]

Terug naar