Newsletters Het Havenlicht-SCFS

Gebruikers-avatar
Ton
BerichtenCOLON 3945
GeregistreerdCOLON Do Jan 07, 2016 11:08 am

Re: Newsletters Het Havenlicht-SCFS

Berichtdoor Ton » Di Okt 02, 2018 12:04 pm

Dear friends and prayerpartners,

With great joy we send you our newsletter no. 154, about the Mission amongst Seafarers from all nationalities.
We trust you will enjoy reading it!
Looking forward as usual, to hear from you again!

With warmest greetings and may God bless you!
Theo van Zuilekom
havenlicht@chello.nl

******************************************************************************************************************************************

Newsletter autumn 2018 no.154 From the desk There is always enough work to do for people of the Havenlicht Port Mission, meaning not only those in the foreground but also those working behind the scenes. Without them the work couldn’t be done. Would you like to know more about us? We’d be glad to tell you more, be it in your church, fellowship or in your house-group.

Delfzijl en Eemshaven In the Eemshaven port many of those typical huge workships can be found and the first ship that I visited was registered under the flag from Cyprus. It was moored at the Emma- quay. On the bridge I spoke to the Captain for nearly half an hour. He told me the ship’s crew was a complete Greek one and that hardly anyone to none at all could speak English. My knowledge of the Greek language is not worth speaking of either. I had once made an effort to learn this language but through certain circumstances it remained with this first attempt. So there was nothing much I could do there . The second ship was moored to the one I was on, so climbing to the bridge to introduce myself a Norwegian Officer came to meet me and he offered to show me around the ship. Most of the men were busy with their job and so we came to the watchman there on duty. Some Philippinos were standing close by and a number of them were just about to start on a painting job. However, with these men I could have a short conversation about the Christian faith. The Officer who had accompanied me stayed on to listen and I saw that he was interested. At a certain moment I asked him if he was a Christian. “No, no” was his answer. “As a child I went to church with my parents, but I no longer am a believer”. To the Philippinos it was rather strange to hear this, all the more when the Officer refused to accept an English Bible. But then he suggested to me to come back later at 3 o’clock, for then most of the crew would have a short tea or coffee break. I was glad for this invitation and accepted it. This left me with some more time to visit other ships. But first of all I wanted to see the ship close by where I once had a lengthy conversation with the watchman. Once, after a visit there I had forgotten to return the boarding pass which had been laying in my car all the time and it was now the moment to bring it back.There happened to be another watchman on duty this time, but like the time before we again had a long talk about the islands of Philippines and about the Christian faith. I then learnt that this man, working on the ship was also the owner of a nice holiday resort. He and his wife had apartments to let with a “sea-view “. I was shown many nice pictures of beautiful apartments and the surrounding countryside. Belonging to the area were also some rice fields. So the watchman was the proprietor of a hotel, a rice-farmer and a sailor! As we talked I was invited to even come and stay there with his wife- all for free. Should that ever come to pass, I first must discuss this at home with my wife. But is shows how hospitable the Philippino sailors are. After a short prayer, handing over a Bible and exchanging our Email addresses, I went back to my first ship. The watchman brought me to the mess room and although I was a bit early, the cook welcomed me all the same and I was given a cup of coffee that tasted sóó good!. Sometime later the crewmembers started to come in, also a woman. In looking back we had a good time with the sailors. In all frankness I could tell about the grace and love of the Saviour and the men listened attentively. In the end I prayed for all present. Then it was time to open my bags and to pass on Bibles, bible studies and woollen hats which were gratefully accepted. Just before leaving a few snapshots were taken. In saying goodbye I heard them say: “We hope to see

you again”. It is great to tell and witness about Jesus and to encourage sailors to start having regular bible studies among themselves even if it is with one or two others. When I got home a parcel had arrived containing bottle ships, sent by Gerrit Huisman. It also contained a magazine about the village of Sliedrecht. During our last meeting as Havenlicht workers Gerrit learnt that José her grandfather originally came from Sliedrecht. So, looking back on my day in the port of Eemshaven, it is a day to be thankful for. God is good. Jan Peter en José Kapteijn.

Region IJmuiden After having been to a great number of different Medical Doctors, my wife Anneke heard them say every time: ”Madam, there is nothing wrong with you. Stop bothering us, it is only some illness you are convinced of by yourself”. Now at last the cause of Anneke’s illness has been detected. Her jawbone seems to contain quite a few (rest) infections/inflammations which have had a bad influence on the functioning of her body. The treatment she is now undergoing may well last over a period of six months. Please continue to pray for her that the awful moments of pain will stop and disappear; then as a team can we pick up our proper task again in visiting the ships in port. Today we are driving to a large Bulk carrier in the port of IJmuiden. Anneke stays in the car close to the pier and intercedes in prayer for me while I go aboard. First I have to wade through layers of coal smudge, iron ore and dirty water before reaching the ship. My safety boots are up to their task however, so that is no problem. The gangway has 64 steps. I firmly hold on to my large shopping bag full of Bibles in the Tagalog language. A Philippine sailor brings me to the elevator to deck 8. It is just under the navigation bridge where the Captain has his quarters. On entering his spacious cabin my safety boots leave a pattern on the carpet. I introduce myself and hand over a present in the form of a bottle ship. Then I let him read Philippians 4: 6 and 7 and draw his attention to the fact that this scripture only functions when you are “in Christ“. You need to know Him as your Saviour. In leaving I ask him if he wants me to pray for him. “Yes please “. In the mess room I pray for a number of sailors. We all stand in a circle asking the Lord to be with them in their personal circumstances and to be with their families on the other side of the world. One of them accompanies me to the car in order to receive a bag of clothing from Anneke. Two months ago he had become the father of a son. He hopes to be home for leave in the month of November to hold “Sam “ in his arms for the first time. We pray for him and his wife and of course for little Sam( uel). That little one, would he ever come to know that a strange couple in Europe once prayed for him with his father standing close by with tears in his eyes? Since 2006, on a yearly basis, we visit around 130 ships. Now it is come up to 26 this year, it already being in the month of September. Would you please continue to pray for us that we as a team can come up to full strength again regarding our ship visitation? The “fields are white “and still there is time! Already a “thank you”, wishing you God’s Blessing. Jan en Anneke Best.

Rotterdam 1
Jim from Myanmar hears these words for the first time: God loves you. Jesus died for you. When you believe and accept Jesus in your heart , it gives you not only saving grace but also peace and joy in your heart…- Jim receives a booklet called: The Bridge in the Burmese language. We suggest to him to take time to quietly think things over of what he has heard and to start reading short verses from his booklet called : the bridge between God and man. With Ray from India I had a short conversation about the immense love of God for people, including himself. That was new to him. Jesus is the way to God. To follow Him, that is what matters. He receives ( in Hindi) a booklet about the Bible, teaching to surrender oneself to Jesus and to follow Him. Ali and Carlo on board another ship, also

from India, both receive a New Testament in their language, (Hindi). Ricky and Jerry are both sailors from the Philippines. It was so encouraging for me to hear from Ricky that he follows Christ and that Jerry also continues in the Christian faith. On still another ship some Turkish seafarers seemed to be interested in the Gospel. They both wanted a New Testament to read in it for themselves. With two of them I could have a short conversation. They were surprisingly open during our talk. I enjoy visiting ships and thank you dearly for your prayers concerning this work. Wout de Vries.

Amsterdam 1 The President of Syria once said that he considers the sailors of his country to be his most loyal subjects. Even though they have enough opportunities to flee Syria, they keep on returning to their country. Now in the last Summer period I again met sailors from Syria. Some of them have not been on leave for a long time because when they go home they have to report for their National Service in Syria. So this so-called loyalty is not always true. It is tragic matter, all the same. Most sailors look forward to their period of leave but these men try to have their contract on board extended. In this hopeless situation they often start thinking about the deeper things of life: what is the meaning of it, why is there so much suffering in the world? On a warm Summer evening I visit a ship from Syria. We remain on deck and a conversation is started on different subjects during which I place some biblical literature on a nearby bollard. Finding a proper opening for my witnessing is always a struggle., but I see that some sailors take away some literature. If we want to bring people in contact with the Gospel, I think it is important to have a sense of feeling in order to relate to your specific group. With our port-mission activities this is difficult, because our encounters with sailors are mostly short and you mostly meet sailors only once. Still, we shouldn’t let ourselves be discouraged by this, for aren’t we servants of a Mighty Sender?! At the gangway I meet somebody of my own age. He also wants a Bible. Then we exchange some data and thanks to the Social Media we now have regularly mail contact. So, Social Media has also its merits! During a visit on a smaller ship, one which I visit more often, I had , on the rear deck, an opportunity to explain the Gospel to an elderly Albanese cook, telling him first what it means to me and saying that the Gospel is also for him. He reacted with: “Wow, why didn’t you tell me about it before? “ Good question. Maybe I should be a bit more outspoken next time. On a huge ship of nearly 300 meters I speak with a few Philippinos. The atmosphere is good. I’m invited to have a meal with them. The Bibles and biblical literature are well accepted. The somewhat older Chief engineer is like a father figure to the young sailors. Two months ago one of them had become a father and he proudly shows me a photo. His contract finishes in two months’ time and then he can see his son. Another sailor tells me his “passport to heaven” has been signed and that he “casts” his cares and needs on Jesus every day. For me it is the first time that I hear a sailor give such a personal testimony and I find it great! I encourage the men to also hold bible studies among themselves so that they can grow in faith. A special method has been developed for this purpose by an experienced port missionary from Hamburg. It has started to get a bit colder and on leaving the ship the woollen hats are practically grasped from my hands. With most ships we must climb the seemingly endless stairs of the gangway to be able to get on board. You need to watch your steps therefore but last time it caused me to think of the “Jacob’s ladder” from the Scriptures . Here Jacob had to flee and was encouraged by God in a dream. The comparison isn’t quite the same and life on board is certainly not heaven on earth. I am not an angel either but many sailors away from home are suffering from homesickness. We in turn then may be of encouragement by climbing up to them to bring the good news and reflect a beam of light from Jesus to the seamen in some way. Marien Gijsbertsen.

Amsterdam 2 “When do you come back to tell us a story again? Have you eaten yet? Go first and have something to eat! How good my friend, that you are here again. Do you have a Bible for me? Yes, I would like to have a Bible. How glad we are that you have come. Hello, how are you doing? I recognise you from another ship where I was on last year.” Here some examples of the words seamen use when you come aboard. In this bulletin just a few reports. We could again encourage many sailors from all corners of the earth with God’s Word, bringing the glad and important message of Saving Grace. Many were so thankful for our visit: “Till next time”. We hear this so often! Twenty eight sailors from Peru- these men were so open to the Gospel. Maybe also because the captain was a Christian. He was glad that some attention was given to his men. I have been back four times to these hospitable Peruans and their special captain. Many asked for a Bible and in the end I took care that all of them could receive a copy of the Bible in their own language. Besides that, there was also other material offered like books, CD’s, woollen hats and clothing. Had many talks with them, praying for them afterwards. God touches the hearts of men!! It is quite something to be embraced by Peruan seamen. I have given the cook and the captain a souvenir bottle ship. Other crew men were happy to receive a handmade wooden cross made by Gerrit Huisman. In closing a hearty thanks for your faithful prayers and other tokens of fellowship. Theo en Yvonne van Zuilekom.

Rotterdam 2 A few days ago I was in a mess room on board a large Container ship, waiting there for the crew. At ten o’clock there is a coffee break, a time period in which, normally speaking, you have a chance to talk to people. But this morning nobody turned up. I was on the point of leaving the ship to go to the next when I received a WhatsApp message from Nadine Breitmoser, the wife of my colleague Ecki in Bremerhaven. She was aboard a Cruise ship and had met Toni there, the Chief Security man, from the Philippines. She had been talking with him and during the conversation had discovered that they both knew me. Six years ago the Ocean Countess, a small Cruise ship, was in port here for several months as a floating hotel to host the crew of a big crane ship of Heerema. I had received permission to visit the ship and the first person I encountered was Roy. There and then Roy asked me if I would lead the Bible study group every Sunday morning. This I was pleased to do and in this way a group of men gathered in the mess room for nearly four months with Roy attending most times. After that period I had never seen Roy again. Now he was on this ship in Bremerhaven and had met Nadine. He told her that six years ago, on board the Ocean Countess through the bible studies, he had come to a living faith in Christ. In our ministry among seafarers, you mostly do not see the fruits of your work. But sometimes God gives you an encouragement just at the time you need it. This all being to the Glory of God. Felix Henrichs.

Rotterdam 3 The joy in visiting the seafarers at the Port of Rotterdam It was early Monday morning that I received series of emails from ISPS announcing the approval of our visits, not only to one but to more than five ships in the Port of Rotterdam. An excitement fills my heart, not only to meet up again with Bro. Wout and Sis. Susie but also to share about Christ with the seafarers, especially to my ‘kababayan’ (countrymen) since I have not been in visiting ships for such a long time. So we pooled into Bro. Wout’s car and started our day’s mission with a prayer. We first visited a full-Turks crew along the haven in Vlaardingen. Though we did not know what to expect we were confident enough that the Holy Spirit will lead us the way. Two OS met us at the gangway and the other one led us to the mess hall. We were just in time at their 10 o’clock break. So one by one was coming to take a break. Around six of them gathered around us, curious about what are we there for. They thought that we have something to sell or offer, some were asking if we have telephone cards. The room was full of smoke. All of them were smoking and I was worried about Sis. Susie’s health. The TV was on, some of them were watching a football match. We were watching too. Yes, that was a goal! Then the player who scored run around with joy in the field and raised his shirt, pointing what was written in his chest …to our surprise, ’GOD is GOOD!’ Sis Susie and I saw it! Oops! Was that a sign that we should do now our mission? There were still three seamen left in the room. Break time was over! Then two stayed because they were not on duty. Still watching TV while talking with us at the side. A small voice in me, says…be bold! share now about Christ and make Him known to these seamen. Bro. Wout handed some reading materials in Turks. And the younger one asked, what is this? I answered him with a question, do you know Jesus? We felt the leading of the Holy Spirit and we were able to share the gospel with both of them. A good teamwork among us three, when one was sharing, the rest were interceding in prayers. “And the gospel must first be preached to all nations” (Mark13:10). We went to the second ship, but we did not stay long since there’s a meeting with the company. So we just left some trackers and had a short talk with the OS at the gangway. We proceeded to the third ship, a full-Filipino crew. We joined them for lunch. Hot ‘Sinigang’ soup and fish were served, a very typical Filipino dish combination. Each of us, Bro. Wout, Sis. Susie and I seated next to a seaman. Grabbing the opportunity to share the gospel while eating and listening to their stories. And that was a good entry point to share the ‘true’ gospel to them. I emphasized ‘True’ because even though the Philippines is the only Christian country in Southeast Asia, there is still a big number who doesn’t have any personal relationship with Christ. Claiming to be Christian but not true followers of Christ. With the leading of the Holy Spirit, we did have a short exhortation and a very good exchange of thoughts, insights into the ‘true’ gospel. We discussed John 3:3 Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth unless you are born again, you cannot see the Kingdom of God.” "For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life”. (3:16) and “Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him.(3:36). We ended with: ‘We are fools for Christ’s sake, but you are wise in Christ. We are weak, but you are strong. You are held in honor, but we in disrepute”. (1Corinthians 4:10-18). Around 2.30 o’clock in the afternoon, we went up to our 4th ship. We met the ‘mayor’ (C/Cook), a Filipino. We shared some tracks and a short sharing while having our coffee. Towards the end of the day, we passed by one full Indian-crew ship, this was the 5th one. We just stayed in the gangway, talked with the OS and gave some trackers. It was indeed a wonderful day for our team. We ended our day with thanksgiving, a day full of joy and gladness. We were so blessed to be a blessing to others. A real joy when you were able to share His Word to the seafarers in the Port of Rotterdam. “Whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God” (1Corinthians 10:31) To God all the glory and honor! Doris A. Lua.

The seafarers mentioned in this newsletter do have in actual life different names. For privacy reasons the proper names are not mentioned. The photo’s in this bulletin are printed with permission. Our deep thanks to: “WIN-NL Seafarers’ Ministry”, Dutch Seamen Society, Seamen's Centre Amsterdam, Global Recordings Network, Ark Mission, Evangelism Foreigners Service, The Bible Society, Pocket Testament League, Christian Aid Ministries, Operation Mobilization and other unnamed organizations, who all in their own specific way, contribute to do the job well.

We would like to ask prayer for the health of all co-workers but especially for: Anneke Best and Jan Peter Kapteijn. They physically go through a difficult period and need our prayers!

A hearty thanks for all you valuable prayers and other tokens of fellowship. In this way God is working, also through you, in order that sailors can hear His Word and accept it. We are grateful towards God for the many chances to be a blessing to seafarers.

Bible-Fit app also in Dutch, Spanish and Arabic. GRN app over 6350 languages. Both apps, you can download for free on smartphone tablet or computer

Amsterdam: Theo van Zuilekom wthvzuilekom@gmail.com Yvonne van Zuilekom yhvzuilekom@gmail.com Marien Gijsbertsen marchris@solcon.nl Cruise ships: Jan Best janbest.sr@gmail.com Anneke Best annekebest@gmail.com Jan Gooijer jan.gooijer@live.nl Rotterdam: Felix Henrichs felix.henrichs@scfs.org Wout de Vries woutdevries4@gmail.com Beverwijk, IJmuiden: Jan en Anneke Best janbest.sr@gmail.com Delfzijl, Eemshaven: Jan Peter en José Kapteijn j.p.kapteijn@hotmail.com Harlingen: Jan Gooijer jan.gooijer@live.nl Flexible: Michiel Kramers m.kramers@hotmail.com Translations,Wooden Crosses Bottle Ships: Gerrit Huisman ghuisman@live.nl Webmaster: Tom Hofkamp tomhofkamp@solcon.nl Ambassador: Robbert Speelman r.speelman@me.com Board: Chairman: Theo van Zuilekom wthvzuilekom@gmail.com Secretary: Jan Best janbest.sr@gmail.com Treasurer: Jan Gooijer jan.gooijer@live.nl General, Addresses: Wim de Baat wimdebaat@gmail.com

IBAN NL71INGB0005545299 - BIC INGBNL2A ANBI registered under RSIN nr. 816655789 - C.O.C. nr. 41023812 Contact: havenlicht@chello.nl -- +31 36 5370340 -- www.havenlicht.com If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter, you can make this known via an e-mail message to: havenlicht@chello.nl
Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of theFather, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost Matthew 28 : 19

Gebruikers-avatar
Ton
BerichtenCOLON 3945

Berichtdoor Ton » Ma Dec 31, 2018 1:50 pm

With great joy we send you our newsletter no. 155, about the mission amongst Seafarers from all nationalities.
Looking forward as usual, to hear from you again!

With warmest greetings and may God bless you richly in 2019!
Theo van Zuilekom
--
havenlicht@chello.nl
+31 36 5370340
www.havenlicht.com

****************************************************************************************************************************

NEWSLETTER : WINTER EDITION Year : 2018 NR. : 155 Date : Friday 21 December 2018

From the desk On this occasion you are receiving our newsletter with a new heading. We hope that you will joyfully read the precious and encouraging stories. If you’d like to respond to any of the articles or wish to know more about the work we are doing, be free to do so and with pleasure we would come to your church or fellowship to tell or show more about our work. On the Website you can find the proper address.

Rotterdam
To the sailors it is a great surprise when they learn that we have come aboard with Christmas-parcels. These visits make it much more easy to come in contact with the Captain or the First Officer. This gives us an opportunity to show them that there are people elsewhere who haven’t forgotten about sailors and have gladly donated to this work. We tell that Christmas reminds us of the coming of the Saviour of the world, Jesus Christ, who left the Heavens, the place where God resides, to become man like us, to later bear the punishment of man’s sin, yes, for everybody who believes in Him. So we have this chance to contact a number of ships these days with crews from India and China. A good feeling it is also to notice that the crewmembers sense as it were, that you have come to serve them. Also the giving out of good and neat clothing is part of the work. Some are all the more glad however , when on their asking ,they can be given those small Bibles or literature about spiritual matters. Often I tell them that, when having finished with reading the gospel-material, they should pass it on to a fellow sailor. Lately we could speak to some young naval trainees on board ships, namely young Finnish, Polish, Dutch and Ukrainian men. We listen to their stories and impressions and relate what we can do for them, or rather, what God can do for them. In this way therefore, every time we go and “march for the ports” ,we can tell afterwards of many encounters and adventures we’ve experienced. Sometimes a sailor starts by telling us the story of his life or speaks of other unforeseen things. And our reaction to these encounters? We learn to listen to them, wondering in the meanwhile how we can be of help to them in any way, showing feeling and understanding. Russian sailors were happy to receive the 2019 calendar in their own language. Another sailor, upon receiving his Christmas-parcel said: ” It is not so much what is inside, but more the receiving of it, that is what feels good”. Thus we are privileged to do things during this period of cold, chilly, windy and dark days. The Light of the world has come! With friendly greetings, Wout de Vries.

Amsterdam 1
On several occasions during the past months I have been to the ports during the evenings. When it is dark the port seems to be a complete different world, so different from our own surroundings. Lights, big and small all around you. It reminded me of the name of our mission, namely Het Havenlicht, and I am glad to be part of its team and tell others about it. On-board one ship I meet up with a complete Indonesian crew, mainly Muslims but also a number of Christians. On a table in the mess room I put down some Indonesian literature and Bibles. Soon I am engaged in a conversation with some crewmembers. Looking at the cook I notice he isn’t the youngest anymore. I learn that his name is Henkie (little Hank) because the doctor who delivered him into this world was a Dutch doctor and entered this very name on the birth certificate. Since then this name has stuck with him! The crew still knows some Dutch words like GRATIS, meaning - for free- and hearing this word was for me a chance to speak to them about GRACE and ended in talking about our final destination: where are you in eternity?” A sailor with a Muslim background hopes that he goes to heaven and who doesn’t hope to go there? In the New Testament in Titus chapter 2 you read the words: “the grace of God has appeared for the salvation of all men”. So everyone who looks to Jesus in faith may be sure of his destination. On another ship I meet a Turkish crew. The First Officer looks in a sceptical way at the cross on my safety helmet and says: “Sorry Sir, we are all Muslim, so I don’t know why you have come aboard”. I had no quick answer to that but then countered: ” You are people just like me” , and the men agreed to that, after which I could stay for a cup of tea. We sat down in the mess room and a first conversation started during which I carefully laid out some Turkish Bibles on the table together with some tracts. One of the sailors started by saying that he appreciates the freedom in Amsterdam. The third Mate tells me that here in the streets you can actually smell the freedom. But what is real freedom and when are we really free? In the meanwhile a young trainee Officer takes a large Bible from the table. It is also surprising to notice that small children’s Bibles are popular with the seamen, something you would not expect among sailor men and on this ship several copies were taken. It is also obvious that , to them, just talking to someone from outside gives the sailor relief in some way. In leaving, a person takes my hand and puts something in it: a small chain with a nice tag attached to it. On board a brand new ship the Philippine captain complains to me about the bow of his ship. It has a strange form through which manoeuvring the ship becomes difficult. “you must get used to it!”. The ship has arrived to take in a cargo of scrap metal and has as destination Vietnam. “Within a year the iron will come back to you in the form of new cars!” , the captain says jokingly pointing to the new car terminal on the other side of the port. His older brother is also on board as an AB. For years now they have been together and apart from some brotherly quarrels and the difference in rank, they are of support and help to one another. The crew of the ship is completely Philippino and I hear that all belong to the Christian faith. Through the daily routine on board the ship however their Christian background is almost forgotten. I give them Bibles in their own language and let them read aloud some verses. After handing them over I am asked to sign the inside of the cover and add also some encouraging words. Sailors are so special to visit and the crews are so varied. The whole world passes by in visiting them. Port mission is therefore a mission right at your front door! It is the type of mission work that appeals to my heart, so visiting ships is much to my liking; however prayer is so needed. I am a member of a prayer group in my church where we regularly pray for the Havenlicht Port Mission, thanking God for it. I am so happy that it is there and would like to ask you to continue to pray for the Port Mission and the work that we may do. Hearty greetings from, Marien Gijsbertsen.

Region IJmuiden
The medical treatment of Anneke is finished. She is now in the recovery period. Step by step she moves forward. Our ship visits are still limited, but we are hopeful that this will soon improve. Because of the available text space, just an example. In IJmuiden there is a bulk carrier with Philippino’s crew under Turkish leadership. Anneke keeps praying in the car while I go on board with a bag full of Bibles and reading material in Turkish and Tagalog. The young Turkish captain, in his thirties of the fast type, is in discussion in the deck office. I explain briefly why I came, namely to bring Jesus on board. The captain responds with some pride: "I have distanced myself from every religion, I am Agnost". Just for the sake of clarity: an Agnost is someone who does not believe in a "higher power". Nevertheless he wants to talk to me, he leaves his conversation partners behind and walks with me to the crew's messroom. There is no one there and there is a whole conversation. The captain asks if I ever saw God. My answer: No, not yet. How can I still believe in Him. Yes, I know for sure, I am convinced of the existence of God and that Jesus, God's Son, is my Saviour. And that the Bible is the Word of God. Hmmm, so you (me) believe in something or someone you cannot see? Yes indeed. The captain explains that he does believe in "Positive Energy". But, .... You cannot see positive energy either, and yet you believe in it? The captain looks at me and laughs a little sheepishly. I give him a Turkish Bible, put my hand on his shoulder and pray to God, my Father, if He wants to reveal himself to the captain, from His Word, in Jesus' Name. Then he goes back to his conference… In the meantime the messroom is starting to fill up, it is dinner time. I pray for a number of Filipino men, hand in hand. And gives them bibles and literature and cards with a Bible text. A sailor walks with me to the car on the quay and Anneke gets a bag full of clothes and hats. He himself gets a backpack with personal items. We pray for him. Pray for this young Turk, that he will discover that there is indeed a higher power and that he will accept Him as his personal Saviour. Thanks in advance, we wish you God's blessing, Jan and Anneke Best.

Amsterdam 2
For us it is now the busiest period of the year. Yvonne is so much engaged these days with the sorting out and packing of the contents of Christmas parcels (bags actually), all suited in some way for the sailors. It is not just the handing out of these bags for it is always accompanied with a short Bible message . “What is your name again?” I hear. “Ah, I know, it is Theo. We know each other from a year ago!”. In this way I was greeted one day. Even the captain comes to see us, saying: ”Why do you come only now?” Then on board this ship and in this special room we had many a fine conversation and much of our literature changed hands. On board a spacious passenger ship I was immediately recognised by a Nepalese Security Officer. He had been working on a sister ship a year before. It touches one’s heart to be received in this way. After all, don’t we bring Glad but also Important Tidings aboard the ships? Bibles and Bible parts in Hindi, Indonesian, Hiligaynon, Cebuano, Tamil, Tagalog, English, Nepali, Albanese, Greek, and it all being received with a thankful heart! We were able to speak to many sailors and could encourage many of them, coming from Indonesia, Nepal, India, the Philippines, the Ukraine, Lithuania, Rumania, Poland and of course the Netherlands. Naturally we again handed out many items of good clothing like jackets, jumpers, trousers, shoes, knitted woollen hats and much more. We as evangelists and port chaplains not only preach the Gospel with words but also in deeds, but it is a side activity. Bringing the Word is our main commission. I also want to mention the bottle ship souvenirs and wooden crosses from the hands of our co-worker, Gert Huisman that so often stir the sailors heart. On these small craftworks are also special texts which are always read carefully. With warm greetings and a hearty thanks for your faithful support, Theo en Yvonne van Zuilekom.

The seafarers mentioned in this newsletter do have in actual life different names. For privacy reasons the proper names are not mentioned. The photo’s in this bulletin are printed with permission. Our deep thanks to: “WIN-NL Seafarers’ Ministry”, Dutch Seamen Society, Seamen's Centre Amsterdam, Global Recordings Network, Ark Mission, Evangelism Foreigners Service, The Bible Society, Pocket Testament League, Christian Aid Ministries, Operation Mobilization and other unnamed organizations, who all in their own specific way, contribute to do the job well.

We would like to ask prayer for the health of all co-workers but especially for: Anneke Best and Jan Peter Kapteijn and Inez de Baat. They physically go through a difficult period and need our prayers!

A hearty thanks for all you valuable prayers and other tokens of fellowship. In this way God is working, also through you, in order that sailors can hear His Word and accept it. We are grateful towards God for the many chances to be a blessing to seafarers.

Amsterdam: Theo van Zuilekom wthvzuilekom@gmail.com Yvonne van Zuilekom yhvzuilekom@gmail.com Marien Gijsbertsen marchris@solcon.nl Cruise ships: Jan Best janbest.sr@gmail.com Anneke Best annekebest@gmail.com Jan Gooijer jan.gooijer@live.nl Rotterdam: Felix Henrichs felix.henrichs@scfs.org Wout de Vries woutdevries4@gmail.com Beverwijk, IJmuiden: Jan en Anneke Best janbest.sr@gmail.com Delfzijl, Eemshaven: Jan Peter en José Kapteijn j.p.kapteijn@hotmail.com Harlingen: Jan Gooijer jan.gooijer@live.nl Flexible: Michiel Kramers m.kramers@hotmail.com Translations,Wooden Crosses Bottle Ships: Gerrit Huisman ghuisman@live.nl Webmaster: Tom Hofkamp tomhofkamp@solcon.nl Ambassador: Robbert Speelman r.speelman@me.com Board: Chairman: Theo van Zuilekom wthvzuilekom@gmail.com Secretary: Jan Best janbest.sr@gmail.com Treasurer: Jan Gooijer jan.gooijer@live.nl General, Addresses: Wim de Baat wimdebaat@gmail.com

IBAN NL71INGB0005545299 - BIC INGBNL2A ANBI registered under RSIN nr. 816655789 - C.O.C. nr. 41023812 Contact: havenlicht@chello.nl -- +31 36 5370340 -- www.havenlicht.com If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter, you can make this known via an e-mail message to: havenlicht@chello.nl
Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of theFather, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost Matthew 28 : 19

Gebruikers-avatar
Ton
BerichtenCOLON 3945

Berichtdoor Ton » Ma Apr 22, 2019 11:53 am

With great joy we send you our newsletter no. 156, about the Mission amongst Seafarers from all nationalities.
Looking forward as usual, to hear from you!

Theo van Zuilekom
--
havenlicht@chello.nl
+31 36 5370340
www.havenlicht.com

==================================================================================================

Newsletter : SPRING EDITION year : 2019 NR. : 156 Date : Tuesday 16 April 2019

From the desk Beautiful things have happened again of which only some can be placed in our newsletter. We hope that you will be blessed while reading these stories. Should you want to react or want to know more about the work we are doing, be free to contact us. We would gladly come to your church or fellowship to explain and show more of the work. On our Website you will find additional information and how to contact us.
Eemshaven en Delfzijl It is a grey and drizzly day. But we have a heart-warming message for seafarers who, finding themselves far away from home in dismal surroundings, must even work on their ship in Eemshaven. After a short prayer Harm and I climb the steep gangway of an Offshore Working ship. The Watchman is a Ukrainian and we spoke to him briefly about the Lord Jesus. On the bridge we had a longer conversation with the Captain and some Officers. Harm explained the Gospel with some special cards showing Jesus as “the Bridge”, who bore our sins for us , thereby paving the way to the Heavenly Father by faith. The men listened well and reacted. The Captain could no longer give us any further opportunity to visit other crewmembers on-board because there was too much work to do. On another day we shall visit this ship again. After a good walk across the huge port-area we were welcomed in a hearty way on another ship by the Watchman. Together with us another group was entering the ship. That day the ship’s crews were being exchanged. In spite of the activities on the ship we were welcome to come aboard. We were picked up by a young Philippino woman wearing a shirt witch sported the text: “evangelico”, a fitting moment now arrived to speak about Jesus. She invited us to follow her up the Bridge via the elevator. There we were received in a hearty way by the First and Second Officer and soon the talk was about our Saviour. Sometime later the Captain appeared and with him we continued our talk about the Gospel. I asked him how long he had been sailing and the answer was: 24 years. Now that is quite some time! I felt led to give this person a bottle-ship souvenir by saying: “I have a present for you”, and handed it over on behalf of its maker. When the Captain saw the bottle ship his jaw dropped in surprise: ”No, no, this is too much. I am not good enough for such a present”. But after some urging the Captain understood that we respected him enough to accept it. The bottle-ship received a distinct place on the Bridge. Back on deck we talked again to the Watchman and the lady-sailor. I gave her a I nice woollen hat and a booklet “a letter for you” in Tagalog. Concerning the others, they were all busy at work so we left the ship. A little bit further on the Emma- kade we saw two Tugboats, moored like twins to the pier. On the first Tugboat a young Philippino sailor welcomed us. We could talk quite nicely to him about the church and what is most important for you when you believe. Later this person led us up to the Bridge where again we had nice conversations. The people listened to our message in an enthusiastic way while hearing that Jesus loves them. One of the Officers asked us if we could also visit the other Tugboat. “Yes, of course”. And so it happened that we climbed up several little stairs again which by now had become slippery because of some showers. On the bridge of this other Tugboat my friend Harm explained the gospel to the Captain by means of special cards. Here also everybody was at work. On the Bridge of a nearby ship we met some Officers and had a good conversation with them about Jesus. When we asked the Captain whether he was a Christian, he answered: “I am an Agnostic”.
Harm tried to explain the Gospel to him by means of some cards and drawings, but for this the Captain had no patience and left to smoke a cigarette outside. When asked if we could talk to other people, we received however, a positive answer. Some Philippino men were then called up to accompany us to the mess room. With these two sailors with a Catholic background we could share things about believing and faith. One of the men told us that his wife attends a different church: she is a Baptist. A good conversation developed about the church but most importantly about Jesus. The men were glad to receive a Tagalog Bible and a woollen hat each. In the end we prayed with the sailors, for their wives and children, asking God to protect them. God is good!
Jan Peter en José Kapteijn.

Region IJmuiden On a cold wintry morning, moored at the Landing Stage of the ferry to New Castle, is this empty Freighter. “Waiting for orders”. The crew seems to consist of Pakistani. As is my custom I always first ask to see the Captain, but he is busy with Immigration Officials and so has no time for me. The Third Officer then says: “It is nearly 10 o’clock, so if you wish you could speak to the men in the mess room for it is about coffee time”. In the mess room I explain what I have come for and why. After some asking I am told that all Pakistani are Muslim. I start telling about the God of the Universe who is my Father. I mention also that Jesus, God’s Son ,is my Saviour and the Saviour of the world. The men are sitting in a circle around me and are listening. Some men accept a Bible and “a letter for you”. I suggest to pray for them to this mighty God I had told them about, asking if He would reveal Himself by means of the Word and His Son Jesus Christ. While I am praying in this way, in Jesus Name, surrounded by these silent men staring at me, I feel a very close bond with my Heavenly Father, more than I’ve ever felt before. Thank you Jesus! A huge Bulk Carrier has just arrived with a cargo of coal from Australia. The crew are all from Vietnam. They are all Buddhists except a young deckhand, the lowest in rank aboard. But he is a disciple of Jesus, Yes! I take him with me to Anneke, sitting in the car parked near the pier, in order to pick up a bag of clothing for the crew. He receives a small bag for himself with personal items like shampoo and toothpaste as well as a knitted woollen hat and a scarf plus a T-shirt. A Bible he did already have. We pray there with him at the Pier. The boy is overjoyed for this unexpected meeting with motherly care at the other side of the world. We wish you God’s blessing and please do not let up in your prayers for Anneke’s health.
Jan and Anneke Best.

Amsterdam 1 Ship’s alarm in the port of Amsterdam.

One evening I decide to go to the ports together with Michiel. A large Cargo Ship is moored to the dock with a cargo of coal from Russia and is being unloaded by two huge cranes. A port evangelist from Canada has asked us to visit this ship. There is a possibility that some men from the Maldives are on-board and we didn’t want to miss out on this opportunity to meet them. To our regret we soon learn that no Maldivian crewmembers are aboard. The clock , in the meantime, is showing 21.00 hrs . We choose a corner in the mess room and on some tables we place some Bibles and some gospel literature and calendars and start a conversation with a Philippino Officer. He is very tired and hardly interested in our message. A few crewmembers have gone into town and others are resting in their cabins after having finished their turn of duty. The rest of the crew is at work. Michiel suggests pressing the alarm button. If things run well, all the crew will soon appear. But we realise this is not the right method. We, as Ambassadors, also have to stand in for a NAME. Should there be a reason for us to be aboard this ship, God will bring the right people on our path because His Angels are the alarm. If not, that’s O.K. too. The clock now shows 21.45 hrs and we are in doubt as what to do.
We both have the feeling that we should stay on the ship. In the meantime we feel that the floor beneath our feet is listing considerably. We gather it must be because of the unloading of the cargo. Somewhere far away we hear an alarm go off but we don’t pay much attention to it. I go back on deck to speak to the Indonesian Watchman, a Muslim. He is glad to receive a Bible in his own language and I now have an opportunity to tell him what the Bible means to me. He in turn tells me about a girlfriend he once had who is a committed Christian. This started to cause many problems with his family. This, in the end, forced him to break up the relationship. One question is still on his mind: “Why are there so many different bible translations and how do you know which is the right one”? Because of this question I again have a chance to explain the Gospel to him. I was allowed to pray for him but was soon interrupted by his Porto phone and so this sailor had to go back to work. In the meantime Michiel has been busy also. Soon after the First Mate ( called Angel) had come over to him for a chat. This man had been busy attending to the alarm signal we had heard earlier. Michiel is very frank in sharing the Gospel with anyone and to the point, also with our sailor. After this meeting I have a talk with a Bulgarian Engineer. I see some scepticism in his eyes as he regards us, possibly because Michiel himself is of the engineering profession. Our Bulgarian friend is disappointed with the church and with people. No system in this world is any good and his conclusion is that only children still possess some degree of purity and sincerity. He advises us therefore to evangelise mainly among children for this is much more effective than evangelising among seamen. Seen from a businessman’s reckoning he may have a point, but for us it is not the numbers that count. Only the Gospel is the answer to the many problems sailors run into. We further explain the Gospel to the Bulgarian seaman but every time he comes up with new arguments against our message. In the end he says: “Don’t go to any more trouble, I am too old to change, I can’t be converted anymore”. “But how about the murderer on the cross next to Jesus?” In the end Michiel prays long and fervently with this man and with tears in his eyes he thanks Michiel with a hug. Then he took his leave from us. Hopefully we see this man back in port again or maybe port evangelists in Hamburg could visit this man on his ship. The Indonesian Watchman has seen us talking to his colleague and tells us he is so much relieved about it. “My colleague is looking for peace and rest, so nice of you to have talked to him. Hopefully this has helped him”. In leaving the ship at 23.30 hrs it only then dawns on us : …we had been talking about an alarm going off and soon after Angel and the Bulgarian Engineer crossed our paths. Was that Divine humour at work? The Lord really provided for an alarm this time. Bulgarians often refuse to listen to us but with this man we had time and opportunity to share things with him. Even when it’s dark and late this night in port now, we notice that life just continues on. So, after all, it was a nice evening.
With a Hearty greeting, Marien Gijsbertsen

Rotterdam 1
Ship’s visits are great opportunities to pass on the Good News, namely that there is redemption by the blood of Jesus Christ. With mostly Philippinos on board we could share the Gospel with them .I could speak from the Word of God , starting from Matthew chapter 18. Jesus has forgiven my many sins. That is why I also want to forgive the other person who has done so much wrong to me. Questions started to come also from the parable of the sower and the seed. On what kind of soil does the seed , the Word of God land in you? We often ask about their situation back home, how it is with one’s family and how the person himself is feeling. Sometimes you hear a complete story about the homeland. In such cases we look for a fitting Scripture verse to give to them. Calendars and second-hand clothing also do their part on board as well as a bottle ship souvenir. This really catches their attention, realising how it must have cost lots of patience.
It is special to see them wondering how this three- mast sailing ship could be placed in a bottle like that. Sometimes crewmembers have come in contact with teachings or movement that are contrary to the Bible. Often we don’t even have to give any comment about it for the sailor himself has already put question marks beside it , feeling strange when put alongside the Word of God. Once on a certain ship we were invited to come and visit a certain part of the engine room; this is something that rarely happens. Where we also come is the Bridge where, among other persons, the Officers do their work. On this ship also was an occasion to pass on some literature to those present. It is a privilege therefore to come to places where the sailors live and work, often times tired from work but also very lonely. They have their turn on board from 6 weeks up to 10 months in one stretch with hardly any time to relax but there is enough time to rest from the often heavy and complex work at sea and in port. From Rotterdam: thank you for standing with us and reading these lines.
Wout de Vries.

Itinerant ship visitation. Since January this year I visit the ports of Rotterdam and Amsterdam practically on a weekly basis. The way God is helping for me in continuing my Three Year Bible College term has been tremendous! I am now halfway. The program of the College includes one free day a week and I use this day to go to the ports. With respect and admiration I kept watching Wout and Marien as to their driving ability ,knowing so well their way around in the maze of RST in Rotterdam and the Bulk Terminals in Amsterdam. Once on-board a ship I feel myself on familiar ground, even looking around to spot a ship’s Engineer so as to start work! Now I come aboard with a different mission and am not on the monster-roll. It takes some getting used to but it is exiting anyway. The time to bring the Good News on-board is short, too short .Then it is a matter of quickly finding out what the sailors viewpoint is in life for me to come to the point. At other times, not so pressed, we spend hours with the same people on the ship. It happens that our presence changes the atmosphere. In this case on a Chinese ship in dock for repairs. Sometimes during a short absence from the mess room we had noticed that Bible material left on the tables had been freely taken. It also showed on a next visit that film material had been copied off a USB stick that we had left behind in the TV. We discovered this because afterwards we found it to be infected by viruses. People are curious and the English language is not mastered by everyone and then material in one’s own language is more appreciated. Trying to start up a Jesus’ film ( or the Gospel of John) on-board is every time a challenge. On every ship the video systems are different. Sometime we donate a HDMI cable but also guitar strings. In which other way can they get hold of them otherwise? Sometimes we meet sailors wanting to organise a Bible Study group for themselves. Then we take time to help and equip them with material and keep in contact with them. Sailors are no exception in coming in contact with sects and often have little insight in their teachings. One sailor was partly involved in one of these already and we could point out a few errors to him. On another ship a boatswain complained to us that already a few of his Philippino friends had joined four different sects. A serious problem in the Philippines.
Michiel Kramers

Amsterdam 2 A Danish captain looked at me in surprise on hearing the reason why I had come aboard. He wished me God’s blessing on my work and pressed the bottle ship I had given him in wonderment to his chest. “Have you eaten already? “Go and have some food”, “Take a plate and serve yourself “, “Have you eaten enough?”, When do you come back?, “Do we meet again before we sail?”, “Do come back soon!”, “We are glad for Facebook and Messenger, enabling us to keep in contact”. These are the usual greetings I hear when I am aboard ships. On a regular basis I could share the Word of God with seafarers and more than once I could pray with them , even as a group. “ I would like to introduce you to a friend of mine in the Philippines who also is a pastor”, an elderly seaman said to me in an enthusiastic voice”. “Thank you so much for coming and that you have brought the good news”. Once more many Bibles, Bible parts, books and other material was given to the men at sea. It is striking to notice that everybody is so extremely happy with it all and so thankful! That in turn makes me a happy person also. A hearty thanks for standing with us in your prayers and other tokens of friendship. With hearty greetings , Theo en Yvonne van Zuilekom

Rotterdam 2
During these last days, weeks and months there is much cause of unrest in our team. As of from April 1 and June 1 we must vacate our rented premises which house our office and storeroom. The reason is that the house is being sold. We are glad that a Christian friend from Rozenburg has offered us space on his business location for our literature container as a temporary solution. He even arranges with another company for free removal to this area. We are still looking for ideas as to a new and proper accommodation. Also, many workers are troubled by sickness in their families. Nevertheless, everybody is trying to help out where possible for I am sure God’s blessing is resting on them. Please continue to pray for this situation. Felix received a telephone call from a Ship’s agent responsible for ships in the port of Dordrecht. There is this sailor who wants to visit a good Seaman’s Church service. So we made an appointment and together with a trainee I could visit the seaman in a dry-dock. It is very special to hear that the father of the seaman is the leader of SCFS at Iloilo in the Philippines. We could talk with the ship’s Officer and were invited to a barbecue. The captain of the ship, although not a Christian, had, in the Philippines in Manila, been eating out with a port missionary from Hamburg over there! The brother of the sailor friend we visited is in Rotterdam this moment. But I was not successful in bringing them together. The schedule of their working hours was too far apart. I visit an unknown ship. The cleaner proves to be a Christian but is unhappy because he cannot get a bible study group started. According to him the others do not accept him as a spiritual leader. He is only a cleaner. I promise to come by another time. Soon after we had a good talk ,for he is in a better mood and happy to talk to me, another Christian. Then he was called to work again and I was invited by a next sailor to a game of darts. I must mention that I had a conversation with the Third Mate also. He seems to be a Christian but would not like to be known as such because he had committed a bad sin. For five months now these two sailors had been together on the same ship and are not aware that another believer is also on-board. A sad story but it happens more than once. Thirty six Sundays without a church and a great chance missed to pray together, to sing together God’s praises and read the Bible. I hope that they will change their mind in the coming months.
With greetings, René Reifel.

The seafarers mentioned in this newsletter do have in actual life different names. For privacy reasons the proper names are not mentioned. The photo’s in this bulletin are printed with permission. Our deep thanks to: “WIN-NL Seafarers’ Ministry”, Dutch Seamen Society, Seamen's Centre Amsterdam, Global Recordings Network, Ark Mission, Evangelism Foreigners Service, The Bible Society, Pocket Testament League, Christian Aid Ministries, Operation Mobilization, Sailor Society and other unnamed organizations, who all in their own specific way, contribute to do the job well.

We would like to ask prayer for the health of all co-workers and their families but especially for: Anneke Best, Inez de Baat and Kerstin Henrichs, to continue and endure in the ministry God has given them to do.

‘Bible-Fit app’, ‘Wellness at Sea app’ and ‘5Fish app’ available in many languages. You can download for free on smartphone, tablet or computer

Amsterdam: Theo van Zuilekom wthvzuilekom@gmail.com Yvonne van Zuilekom yhvzuilekom@gmail.com Marien Gijsbertsen marchris@solcon.nl Cruise Ships: Jan Best janbest.sr@gmail.com Anneke Best annekebest@gmail.com Jan Gooijer jan.gooijer@live.nl Rotterdam: Felix Henrichs felix.henrichs@scfs.org Wout de Vries woutdevries4@gmail.com Beverwijk, IJmuiden: Jan en Anneke Best janbest.sr@gmail.com Delfzijl, Eemshaven: Jan Peter en José Kapteijn j.p.kapteijn@hotmail.com Harlingen: Jan Gooijer jan.gooijer@live.nl Itinerant: Michiel Kramers m.kramers@hotmail.com general: Wim en Inez de Baat wimdebaat@gmail.com Desmond en Liz Heng mhheng@gmail.com Translations,Wooden Crosses Bottle Ships: Gerrit Huisman ghuisman@live.nl Webmaster: Tom Hofkamp tomhofkamp@solcon.nl Ambassador: Robbert Speelman r.speelman@me.com Board: Chairman: Theo van Zuilekom wthvzuilekom@gmail.com Secretary: Jan Best janbest.sr@gmail.com Treasurer: Jan Gooijer jan.gooijer@live.nl

IBAN NL71INGB0005545299 - BIC INGBNL2A ANBI registered under RSIN nr. 816655789 - C.O.C. nr. 41023812
Contact: havenlicht@chello.nl -- +31 36 5370340 -- www.havenlicht.com
If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter, you can make this known via an e-mail message to: havenlicht@chello.nl

Gebruikers-avatar
Ton
BerichtenCOLON 3945

Berichtdoor Ton » Wo Jul 10, 2019 4:38 pm

With great joy we send you our newsletter no. 157, about the Mission amongst Seafarers in the Seaports of Holland.

Theo van Zuilekom

--
havenlicht@chello.nl
+31 36 5370340
www.havenlicht.com

****************************************************************************************************************************************************

Newsletter : SUMMER EDITION year : 2019 NR. : 157 Date : Tuesday 18 June 2019

From the desk Once again we had the privilege this season to reach the seafarers with the Gospel. In this Newsletter we want to tell you more about it. We hope when reading these stories you will enjoy reading them as much as we do. Should you want to comment about them in any way or want to know about the work we are doing, feel free to contact us. It’ll be a pleasure to come to your church or fellowship and speak more extensively about our work. On the Website you can read how to contact us.
Region IJmuiden On a bright sunny morning in Spring we start by registering at the main entrance of the Steel Works of IJmuiden. We are then given permission to enter the premises by car but not before a security officer checks our car for any eventual “contra band”. He sees the crates packed with Bibles in several languages and briefly we explain how we distribute them and our plan: passing on the Word of God to the sailors. So here is our first opportunity to give our testimony, in plain Dutch! Before arriving at the pier where the large Bulk carriers with coal and iron ore are being unloaded, we pass another check-point. A security man asks: ”What actually is your business here?”. Now a second opportunity is there to witness for the Lord and we haven’t even boarded a ship yet. Once on deck we notice that everybody is occupied: lifesaving equipment is being inspected. Only the first Officer has time to listen to us and we hear he is a believer in Christ. He offers to give out the Bibles to the crew and accompanies us to the pier where Anneke is waiting beside the car with a bag of clothing, a present for the crew. Our friend tells us he has become the father of a little daughter and that he has already seen her on his mobile phone. We pray for him and his wife and the little girl in Manilla. On a Mega Cruise ship in Amsterdam we visit the crew (1350 persons) in a gigantic mess room during their lunch break. To a mixed crew of Indonesians and Philippinos we pass on many Bibles and literature in Tagalog and Bahasa Indonesia. We ask if people wish to be prayed for and we almost run out of time. The crewmembers come and go during their quarter- hour break during which great plates with rice with chicken are being consumed. Yes, their work is hard and that costs lots of energy. But in this way we are able to come in contact with a lot of crewmembers. Tired and happy we drive home again. Thank you Lord for a blessed day! We wish you God’s blessing and please continue to pray for Anneke’s health. Jan and Anneke Best.

Amsterdam 1, The Great Commission Before and after celebrating Ascension day in our church we talked a lot about The Great Commission for Christians: …” and Jesus came and spoke unto them, saying: All power is given unto me in heaven and earth. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptising them in the name of the Father, and the Son, and of the Holy Ghost; Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you. ( Matth.28: 18,19).

Jesus gave this command to his disciples and this command stands to the present day and not only for the select group of the disciples of Jesus! Maybe you are busy and doing this already in your own environment, but if not, I hope that the stories in this Newsletter will start you off. In the past period I have been to the ports at night. In this way I was able to meet seafarers from India, the Ukraine, Bulgaria, Germany, Ghana, China, Indonesia, the Philippines, Rumania, Russia and the Maldives. One evening, on the way to the port, my car broke down on the Motorway. It troubled me some, for I was all focussed on the preparation to visit the ships and this had now come to an abrupt end. While I was waiting for help, a driver suddenly stopped behind me. Probably worried about my plight. A flood of words came over me like: How is it, what is the problem, can I help? I answered calmly and in the ensuing conversation with this Turkish man I said : ”there is a large book on the dashboard of your car. Is it a telephone book? “ He answered: “No, it is my Koran- I read it a lot”. My questions seemed maybe a bit too straightforward but I hoped to make it good by presenting him a large Turkish Bible, thanking him for his concern. This of course was the last thing he expected, receiving a Bible by the side of a motorway. But he appreciated it. We couldn’t talk any further for in the meanwhile the Roadside Assistance car had arrived and we quickly said goodbye. Still, it was a nice encounter on the Motorway. Because of the quick work of the mechanic I could still make it to the port that evening. The ship I visited was due to sail that night so I was just in time. I had been on this ship before and the attending Officer recognised me. “Ah, there you are again. Welcome on board”, and he accompanied me to the mess room. After some small talk I started telling him about Abraham and the command he receives from God to sacrifice his son Isaac. The Muslims are quick to recognise this story and sometimes help me, in an enthusiastic way, to finish the story. They know about it because one of their feasts is named after it the feast of the sacrifice. Only they believe that Ishmael was the one to be sacrificed and not Isaac. These kind of details I leave for what they are, going to the heart of the story , namely that God provides for a sacrifice. And 2000 years later God again provided for it by providing the most ultimate sacrificial LAMB: JESUS. Often- times we are busy with all kinds of “sacrifices”, during which, in the bushes behind, Jesus offers himself as THE Sacrifice. So on this ship I tell my story. I try to be careful and tactful but the sailors listen attentively and the seed is being sown. During another evening on a small ship I receive a warm welcome from the German captain and his Officer. It just happens that we are of the same age. They are not Christians but they believe the work of the port missionaries to be very important. The ship’s Engineer has also joined us and is from Ghana. The cook is also from Ghana and had just left his bed to meet the visitors. Both Ghanese are Christians. When the conversation turns to Christian matters, the captain and the Officer leave the room but the captain came back later to listen in at the background. We hold a short bible study meeting about Jesus from Matthew chapter 8 about Jesus rebuking the storm at sea. The Engineer shares his storm experiences at sea with us, the real and figurative ones. “There are moments when the social and emotional problems become too big for us”. He had experienced on some occasions that fellow sailors had committed suicide because they couldn’t handle things anymore. The question then arises: is there a hiding place for me? What consolation it is then to know that there is a hiding place: Jesus is in control! He knows about the storms in our life! In leaving we pray for one another. The captain is still there and I pray for him as well. As a token of appreciation he hands me a large sea chart. When Jesus gives “The Great Commission “ to his disciples, He also says: “Lo, I am with you always even unto the end of the world”. To be honest, sometimes I feel one with the doubtful ones among the disciples but especially during ship visiting times I have experienced that Jesus is present and that all power has been given unto Him! Marien Gijsbertsen.

Rotterdam 1 Having been aboard the ship for some time I had met already sailors from 4 countries like Ghana and Rumania. In the end the cook crossed my path named, Charley. It was good to hand over some gospel literature. I also met others from Myanmar.

The gospel is for everybody. These seamen from Myanmar wanted very much to receive de literature and dvd’s in the Birmese language. They told me they were going to read my brochures later on. At times crew are hard at work during a visit, also on this ship. This meant putting down some literature for them in the mess room. Things to read are always welcome to the sailors. On a ship with only Philippinos as a crew, the captain asks me for a Bible. I was sitting in the mess room talking to a crewmember when on the other side of the table some men were reading an English booklet called: God’s answers to your life. A pocketbook with answers from the Bible to many different questions. My sailor friend asks me to also give him such a booklet. It appears that people have a real hunger for the Gospel. On the North side of the river “Nieuwe Maas” a small ship is moored with a complete Russian crew . Standing on the deck later with some of the men, a Russian Bible and a bottle ship are passed on to a thankful receiver. On three ships I contacted some young Philippino sailors. Harry is a young apprentice Officer. Then there were Edgar and Danny. They work on ships that call into port on a regular basis. I also met Gerome on a large Containership. People to remember in prayer. I close with words from that well-known song: “Together in the name of Jesus”. With hearty greetings, Wout de Vries.

Itinerant ship visitation On a ship with an Indian crew I learn that the captain is a Christian. He said :”the boys are away in their cabins so often, therefore I can hardly know if something is bothering them”. The crewmen, also some Hindus, speak highly of their captain but some moved away from us when they heard us mention the name Jesus. The cook is one of the two Muslims aboard. He said: “Jesus is not the Son of God” We countered by saying: “But the Koran states clearly that you ought to study Jesus”. Later this Muslim was happy to receive a copy of the Jesus movie and accepted a St. John’s gospel and a tract with the title: “differences”. After conferring with the Boatswain and the Captain we decided to leave behind a USB stick with Bible passages and a Bible movie. We are about to enter an Arabian vessel. On the quay-side I have a conversation with a Fork-lift driver about Franciscus who went with the 5th Crusade, not armed with a sword but with the Bible in order to go to the enemy camp to preach the Gospel to the Sultan. Are we to go on this Arabian ship in the same manner ? The Faroe Cargo ship is a rather elegant one. The men however seem to maintain a reserved attitude. The Faroe Islands, isn’t that language on the 5 fish card? We’ve heard that even on these small islands that there are quite some churches with different denominations. A Georgian Engineer and his Bulgarian colleague became friends because of “common ground”, namely the Orthodox church. The Georgian sailor was impressed when we gave him “a letter for you” in his own language. He felt sorry for not being able to spend much time with us because of his urgent work. Suddenly his eyes lighted up: “Wait here, I’m right back”. There he was again with a present for Wout and me. A parcel with 7 beeswax candles from his church. We gratefully accepted this gift. On the Shortsea Container Terminal it is always busy. Some ships sail to England two, three times a week. In the galley the cook, in between times, has a short moment to chat with us. One of the cooks, we learned, had been studying the Word more deeply and thereby had discovered that it is not the church with its rituals that saves, but Jesus Christ, as revealed in His Word. In a tactful way he tries to share this with his family and colleagues and his efforts are starting to bear fruit. He himself in turn had been directed to these truths by an elderly colleague on board, teaching him some about the Word. This cook had so many questions to ask and was happy that we had come to visit him. With hearty greetings and God’s blessing, Michiel Kramers.

Rotterdam 2 The Port of Rotterdam never stops. Daily, as a team, we have a range of some 80 large ocean -going ships to choose from. With two of us in full-time service and two volunteers we can only visit a small percentage of that number. For that reason we are so glad that, since the beginning of the year, to welcome a new volunteer in our midst: Johan Egas. He is 33 and is employed as a captain on the heavy-cargo ships of RollDock. He is three months on board and then three months at home. He has a wife and a little daughter. And they live in Dirksland. Johan is a committed and born again Christian and contacted me, asking if he could work with us as a volunteer. In July he has to start work again as a captain but already spends two days a week with me and René visiting ships. We are happy to be able to work together in this way and are grateful towards the Lord that our team is growing in number! Together with René and Johan and me we often visit a Tanker. This ship has been taken “in custody” by the authorities. The crew is a complete Philippino one. The captain and two sailors are Christian. James, a young man with a Baptist background, has come to a personal faith in Christ through watching the movie : American Gospel “in Christ alone”. I had given him this tape and then he had watched it. The next three nights he couldn’t sleep because he had discovered that he was no real Christian. But through further talks with me and listening to the Gospel and helped by the working of the Holy Spirit, this all led to his conversion. Now he wants to share the Gospel with his colleagues and his family members. God is at work on this ship! During the past three Sundays we could hold a Christian service on-board and so we could explain the Gospel to the whole crew. Some of the crew members are open for it and we trust God to continue working in their hearts in order for them to come to a personal saving knowledge in Christ. With hearty greetings, Felix Henrichs.

Delfzijl and Eemshaven, a story worth telling Last week I was asked to prepare an introductory lecture for the Youth Alpha Bible course, to be held in our church, starting next September. We expect 25 young people to register. The topic I was asked to speak on is: how do I tell it to others? Of course it is a nice subject to talk about but how am I to explain this to the young people? How do I, myself, bring people in contact with the Gospel? Am I a true evangelist? Do I want to convert people to my own church or denomination? Certainly not. What then is the message that I have on my heart when climbing up many a gangway in the ports? What do I tell the captain and crewmembers coming from so many nations and backgrounds? Well now, it’s all about Jesus! It is Him of whom I want to talk about! With me it mostly starts with ordinary conversation. I want to show concern, asking about their families, where they live and about their hobby’s. I also try to tell something about myself. But in the end I always ask the question: “Do you believe in God, are you a Christian?“ The conversation then takes a different direction but still remains personal. Sometimes people want to discuss the question if God exists. But then I tell my friends that God reveals Himself in nature around us and in the Bible. If people have an eye for it already, then you can see how perfectly everything has been made. The human being is also a wonder to behold. I often tell that God has made us in His Image. And the “Big Bang”? Well, mankind has blown up a lot, through which a deep abyss has been created between Him and us.

But God still loves us humans. His love reaches out to everyone, how different we may be. Every person is unique and we all have different backgrounds. Can you imagine to be a sailor yourself? How it is to be thousands of miles from home and many, many months away from family members and friends? Most sailors are proud of their own land but also of their families. Often they are connected via WhatsApp, Facebook, Messenger, Skype or E-mail. In this way they can speak to each other and even see one another. Fathers see their children grow up and hear all the news. And sailors on ships have to deal with worries and sicknesses at home all the same. So there is a difference between skyping and the real thing. There is however still another way to connect people . It goes farther than skyping and brings about lasting change. This form of communication rises above everything and is called: PRAYER. God is always present and He so wants to connect up with us. How marvellous that we can tell of the love of our Creator who loved us so much that he gave us His only Son. And whosoever believes on Him may call himself Gods very own child. He is a caring God, consoles us, heals and encourages us. In speaking about these truths, every believer can be a Lightbearer. And that story is very much worth telling. There are many people praying for our work in the ports, supporting us with knitting and making bottle ships and wooden crosses, not forgetting those who enable us by their gifts to make it possible that we can pass on Bibles and other material! In this way everyone can make his or her contribution. What a wonderful blessing! God is good! Jan Peter and José Kapteijn.

Amsterdam 2 On a ship that I visited one morning I quickly noticed that everyone was busy at work. Even though they indicated that I was a welcome visitor, they asked me in a friendly way to come back that evening. We also do ship visitation at night for then sailors are free from work. We always pray that the Lord will lead us to the right persons. It happens sometimes during a visit that we end up seeing only one person,- the one who needed it! During this past season we have spoken to seafarers coming from different countries, like Congo, Guinea Bissau, France, India, the Philippines, Ethiopia, Russia, Lithuania, Estonia, Croatia, England, Ireland and of course the Netherlands. During our time of conversation with the crew, much literature had been accepted but also CD’s and Bibles in different languages and with the sailors we had several opportunities to pray for one another. This is always appreciated by them. We prefer to hand out Bibles in someone’s own language. Many times we could open the Scriptures with them and pray. Some sailors onboard made arrangements for their home journey, to be united with their families again. In this way we met a Philippino sailor who later sent us a message from home in Facebook. We have left out his name but on the picture you can see what he wrote us. When I asked some Dutch sailors on-board a large fishing vessel if they had a Bible with them, a young sailor replied: “of course, my Bible is always the first thing I put in my bag”. It made me happy to hear that. One day I wasn’t sure whether to go to the ports or not, be it not for my wife’s urging to go! Later that day on-board another Dutch fishing vessel, a senior sailor said to me: “I am convinced that God has sent you to see me”. He was so grateful for my visit, he told me, ” and so was my wife! ”. Yes, lots of things happen in the Dutch seaports. Thank you so much for your prayers and other tokens of fellowship. With hearty greetings, Theo and Yvonne van Zuilekom.

The seafarers mentioned in this newsletter do have in actual life different names. For privacy reasons the proper names are not mentioned. The photo’s in this bulletin are printed with permission. Our deep thanks to: “WIN-NL Seafarers’ Ministry”, Dutch Seamen Society, Seamen's Centre Amsterdam, Global Recordings Network, Ark Mission, Evangelism Foreigners Service, The Bible Society, Pocket Testament League, Christian Aid Ministries, Operation Mobilization, Sailor Society and other unnamed organizations, who all in their own specific way, contribute to do the job well.

We would like to ask prayer for the health of all co-workers and their families but especially for: Anneke Best and Jan Peter Kapteijn to continue and endure in the ministry God has given them to do.

Amsterdam: Theo van Zuilekom wthvzuilekom@gmail.com Yvonne van Zuilekom yhvzuilekom@gmail.com Marien Gijsbertsen marchris@solcon.nl Cruise Ships: Jan Best janbest.sr@gmail.com Anneke Best annekebest@gmail.com Jan Gooijer jan.gooijer@live.nl Rotterdam: Felix Henrichs felix.henrichs@scfs.org Wout de Vries woutdevries4@gmail.com René Reifel rene.reifel@web.de Beverwijk, IJmuiden: Jan en Anneke Best janbest.sr@gmail.com Delfzijl, Eemshaven: Jan Peter en José Kapteijn j.p.kapteijn@hotmail.com Harlingen: Jan Gooijer jan.gooijer@live.nl Itinerant: Michiel Kramers m.kramers@hotmail.com general: Wim en Inez de Baat wimdebaat@gmail.com Desmond en Liz Heng mhheng@gmail.com Translations,Wooden Crosses Bottle Ships: Gerrit Huisman ghuisman@live.nl Webmaster: Tom Hofkamp tomhofkamp@solcon.nl Ambassador: Robbert Speelman r.speelman@me.com Board: Chairman: Theo van Zuilekom wthvzuilekom@gmail.com Secretary: Jan Best janbest.sr@gmail.com Treasurer: Jan Gooijer jan.gooijer@live.nl

IBAN NL71INGB0005545299 - BIC INGBNL2A ANBI registered under RSIN nr. 816655789 - C.O.C. nr. 41023812
Contact: havenlicht@chello.nl -- +31 36 5370340 -- www.havenlicht.com

Gebruikers-avatar
Ton
BerichtenCOLON 3945

Berichtdoor Ton » Di Okt 08, 2019 10:31 am

With great joy we send you our newsletter no.158, about the Mission amongst Seafarers in the Seaports of The Netherlands.

Theo van Zuilekom

--
havenlicht@chello.nl
+31 36 5370340
www.havenlicht.com

Newsletter : AUTUMN EDITION Year : 2019 NR. : 158 Date : Tuesday October 8, 2019

Also this season we could talk to sailors about the Gospel. In this Newsletter you can read it in the following reports.
We hope that you’ll enjoy reading these fine stories. Should you have a wish to know more about the work or want
to react to one of the articles, feel free to contact us. We’d love to tell you more about our work in the ports by
coming to visit your church or fellowship. On the website you can read how to contact us.

Delfzijl and Eemshaven, ‘A small church on the quay-side’.
How good it was to have Gabriel coming to our home for a short visit. He is the man who, during his furlough last
Spring, took quite some Bibles with him to his church in order to give them to friends who couldn’t afford one.
Through this action of his I have come in contact with Gabriel’s pastor in the Philippines. The ship on which Gabriel
sails is called Seaway Moxie and was also the first ship we visited today. To our regret we couldn’t meet Gabriel
for he was asleep in his cabin for a much needed rest. The watchman however was so kind as to pass on our
greetings to our friend. There on the ship we were able to speak to quite some people about Jesus and could also
pass on Bibles, woollen hats and a bottle ship. On some ships, because of all the hectic on board, we were not
welcome. But still, we did tell some people something about the
Gospel. On the ship Devos Start we had a conversation with an
Officer from Friesland. To him all religions were the same. That
didn’t quite suit my colleague Harm, who was with me, and he
started up a conversation with this officer. He started by telling
about the many prophesies about Jesus in the Old testament
which without fail had all been fulfilled. He also mentioned the
prophesies that had been given for the present time and how we
can see them being fulfilled around us. It all resulted in a lively
conversation. On that ship was also a sailor from the Philippines
and I asked the officer if I could speak to the man and he
responded in a positive way. And so it happened that a certain
Joel, busy with a painting job, was suddenly called up to the
bridge. As the officer now was involved in a deep conversation
with Harm, I had a good talk with Joel about the power of prayer.
In spite of all the social media that connect sailors with their
homeland, prayer is still the most powerful weapon that we
Christians have. Joel was glad to receive a Tagalog Bible , which
was my present to him. The souvenir bottle ship which we
handed to the officer was given a nice place on the bridge. In
leaving we asked Joel if he could come with us to the car. There
we handed some woollen hats to him and for his friends. When
asked if we could pray for him, he answered: “Yes, of course!”
And so it happened that the three of us, standing there on the
quay-side in prayer, were asking God for protection for Joel’s family, for Joel himself and the crew. “Where two or
three are gathered in My Name, there I am in the midst of them”. In that way , the little spot on the quay-side
became, for just a moment, our little church. This morning I read in Romans chapter 10 verse 11: “no one who
believes in Him will be put to shame”. Also in verse 13: ” everyone who calls upon the name of the Lord will be
saved”.
We were privileged to share this nice Gospel message with many crewmembers. God is good.
Jan Peter and José Kapteijn.

Itinerant ship-visits.
Semester 5 at the Bible College is the time to engage in practical work. My class mates have all gone to various
countries in different continents. I was scheduled for a place in Rotterdam. Having to move house to Rotterdam
Zuid through circumstances, this didn’t seem to come in handy at that time. But God knows all about my plans. The
place where I had to do my practical work was cancelled and so I thought: Why not ask to work in the ports of
Rotterdam with the SCFS? With enthusiasm on both sides this plan was accepted. Thanks to my having moved to
Rotterdam South, this now proved to be a bonus. As you might know, I have a fervent heart for missions. The many
conversations with the seamen proved and confirmed this. All the more by seeing how thankful men were when
meeting up with our group. This also became evident by
giving a clear explanation of the Word to them, answering
their questions which in turn prompted them to start
reading the Bible for themselves. What a power there is
in the Gospel! Because we do not teach or give promises
in general but point to the Word itself, this touches many
with this wonderful power. They themselves now start
reading the Scriptures in a new light, looking as to what
their position is in the Bible. When probing a bit
concerning their scripture knowledge, by many it was
obvious that they had no assurance of salvation and that
by works this should be obtained. Well, it does not
function this way. During such an “instructive “ coffee break, two sailors became much concerned when discussing
certain Bible passages. “This verse was never explained to me. It is clearly written, this command of God. Why is
the church functioning in a different way?” This question captivated them so much that they didn’t want to go back
to work until they had ( the beginning of) an answer . Not a day of ship-visiting passes without eyes being opened
during conversations.
Michiel Kramers.

Amsterdam 1
On the ship Leia the Bible- study group would like to receive 15 copies of the Bible in Tagalog and English for the
crewmembers. My friend Marien is willing to go and I offered to go with him. In the past we have often made such
journeys together and so we make a plan to go to Amsterdam on a Thursday evening. It would also be a nice break
for me as I had been sick in bed the previous week with fever and a bad cough. I was thinking being away even for
a day would do me good, in this way I was thinking. We learned that the next day, the ship would still be there
waiting for permission to leave the port. Marien then made some official calls in order to visit other ships as well.
Before we enter the docks, we prayed. We want to do this specific work being dependent on what God would have
for us, asking to be led by Him to meet the right persons. We also prayed for my health as an extra. I still felt some
light fever and the coughing tired me. We arrive at the first ship and a female officer with another person is on deck.
They are in the process of discharging the ship’s cargo of maize and the officer explains that our visit is not
convenient, also because everybody is asleep. Soon a third crewmember appears and we give him a tract and a
booklet with 25 bibles stories in his language. All three persons come from India. The female officer is wearing a
scarf and confides she is a Hindu and believes, when she dies, her energy will come back in another being to live
on earth once again. By means of a cardboard cube showing a short story in pictures, we have, even when not
welcome on deck, used the opportunity to explain the Gospel. Then we go to visit the next ship. Here a Greek
officer brought us to the mess room ( a large public place) and we were invited to a cup of coffee. Our Greek friend
was given a “dollar-tract”. On one side was printed a huge sum of money and on the other side a short explanation
about the Christian faith, ending with the question: where will you be when you leave this earth? The Greek officer
went back to the gangway and we were sorry we couldn’t speak to more people. In leaving the ship, we again met
our Greek friend there at the gangway and had a short conversation with him. He was reading in the small Greek
Bible we had given him. God’s Word will not return void or empty!
Having arrived at our third ship, a car-carrier, we received a warm welcome from the Third officer. He is now 4
months on the ship and in two week will be 27. He must stay on board another 2 more months before he can return
to his girlfriend in Vladivostok.
They plan to marry soon. He has been away from home 6 months and commented: “it is a lonely existence here
with new crewmembers arriving and going” For him it is a welcome distraction when people come for a visit and to
listen to him, being interested in his career. We again
could talk about the Lord to him and were invited to the
bridge. Here we continued our conversation, leaning over
a “water-chart” as you can see in the picture. Then we
said good bye and started on our journey home. On the
way in the car, coughing and sneezing, I came to realise
that this was the first time that evening that I again had
that cough. During our visit I hadn’t coughed at all nor had
felt any fever. Our prayers had been answered. That in
itself was a great encouragement to me. God hears our
plea’s, He was there with us and even now on our way
home. But He is also with the crew who soon will be
sailing over the globe on the high seas.
With friendly greetings, Martijn Schenk

Amsterdam 2
Last January Michiel and I tried to get aboard a small coaster. That time however we had no luck but to my surprise
the ship was back in port in the month of June, giving me another chance to meet the sailors. This was at first a
challenge, for walking over barges and climbing some ladders I finally did get aboard the ship. The crew were
Egyptians and had Greek officers. In the mess room the cook waved us a hearty welcome but in sitting down on a
bench nearby I got a fright for I saw a nasty black stain
on my trousers. Somewhere on the way I must have come
in contact with a steel cable or so. But the ship’s engineer,
sitting nearby, put me at ease by saying: “Calm down, wait
a minute, I know a perfect way to solve this problem”. And
sure enough, after treating the stain with a substance it
was completely clean. Great stuff this and I thanked the
engineer several times. After this we were invited to sit
down in the mess room to share the midday-meal. During
this lunch we spoke about several subjects. The engineer
rose to leave the room for he needed to go back to work
again. While thanking him again for his cleaning action,
something prompted me to say: “once my heart was smudgy and dirty but now I know that my heart is clean through
the work of Jesus on the cross. We all need Jesus in order to die with a clean heart!” He gave me a strange look
and quickly disappeared. Was I maybe a bit too direct to him? But on the other hand I believe that also this Egyptian
Muslim needs the Gospel and this situation was a good opportunity as any. A few of the crewmembers took some
of the Arab Bible literature from the mess room table. I pointed to a chapter in the Bible where in Genesis 16 the
story of Hagar is telling about an Egyptian woman who said : “you are really the God that looks after me”. I then
said: by this Spring of water she had seen God who cared. God is a caring God! After a pause I continued: Also
the story of Abraham can be found here who was willing to sacrificed his son. It is all to be found here in the Bible.
Muslims know this story like no other. When the Greek officer again entered the mess room, the cook shouted:
“now you must tell a Greek story from the Bible to our officer”. But before I had the chance to do so, the officer, in
an almost bored way said: “Listen, I am busy but the whole of the New Testament is one complete Greek story and
don’t worry about me, I am already a Christian”. He then showed us the cross hanging from his neck and ran off
again. I saw by the expression of the cook’s face that this man now had a greater respect for the Greek officer. I
needed to leave shortly after that and said goodbye. A few days later the cook is on the phone. “When are you
coming again?”. I cannot spare the time just now but I hope to meet him in our port shortly.
With greetings, Marien Gijsbertsen.

Region IJmuiden
The British captain of a mega Cruise ship frankly tells me not to be a believer but that he appreciates very much
our work among his crew. He has given us permission to come aboard so he gets a bottle ship souvenir and craft
fully made by our senior worker, Gerrit Huisman. The crew’s mess room was the place where many a person could
be provided with a Bible in his own language, mostly in Tagalog or Indonesian . We pray for many personally. On
a Russian bulk carrier we pray for the ship’s master and later for the first mate. Both are Orthodox believers and
are surprised by this personal attention. A Philippino captain invites me and Anneke for a lunch aboard the ship,
asking also if I could bring a short message from the
Word of God. I would have loved to but after talking to
Anneke waiting in the car, we decide not to accept the
invitation. To our regret, Anneke just cannot climb the
gangway. It is too dangerous in her condition. It is
frustrating to her! Back on-board I briefly explain from
the Bible about the blessed assurance that God gives
to each person individually, including Philippino sailors.
After that I pray for the captain and the crew in a circle
holding hands, all grown up fellows! Later Anneke
hands out bags of clothing. On a giant Danish
Container ship ( 15000 containers) we could after
many years renew our acquaintance with an old
Philippino brother seaman. His desire is to celebrate
the Lord’s Supper with us. Excellent, we share the
same wish, but where do we celebrate it? “In your cabin?” , I ask. His answer is: “No, in the crew’s mess room”
Ehh, good idea. I give a short explanation about the bread and wine, the body of Christ. The other crewmembers
are having their lunch, but keep their ears tuned to everything we say. One could almost hear them think: “what
now is happening here “? The Lord’s Supper is a REMEMBER –meal and an ANNOUNCEMENT-meal. In this we
proclaim, also towards the crew, the sacrifice of Jesus Christ His body for the salvation of all people in every nation,
people or tongue. To the crewmembers I could later hand out Anneke’s paper bags containing small personal
items which were thankfully accepted. We wish you God’s blessing and please remain praying for Anneke’s health.
Jan and Anneke Best.

Rotterdam 1
Just before Summer I had the chance to pray for the Philippino cook Jason. Being the only Christian on-board, he
has a plight fighting loneliness, notwithstanding the fact that he has other shipmates. Complaining a bit about this
situation, he says: ”meeting people like you, as port-chaplain, builds up my faith, knowing once more that God loves
me”. Two months later I meet Jason again and he reminds me of the talk we had. I encourage him with things I
have recently read in the Scriptures myself. It is good
to notice that bottle ships live up to their reputation in
catching the sailor’s attention. This happened last time
with Russians and Ukrainians but also with people
from India. Not only on the bridge , but in the mess
room “ordinary” crewmembers admire it while reading
the words on the mounting: may the Lord bless you
and keep you in all your ways, with on the other side :
greetings from Havenlicht Port Mission and S.C.F.S.
All the more however they appreciate the tracts and
brochures in their own language of which we always
have an ample supply and can change hands during
such favourable moments. Surprisingly, the Biblical
literature always draws the sailor’s attention. What I
also notice lately is, that they ask for a Bible for
personal use. We then write a verse of Scripture on the inside cover together with the name of the seaman.
Regardless the great improvement in the means of communication with the “homeland”, many sailors appreciates
a visit by us on-board from what they call “The Seaman’s mission”. Especially now during the coming cold winter
months. It is great meeting so many people from countries where the Gospel is less known than in ours. We thank
God for all these chances. We ask you to continue praying for us.
With friendly greetings, Wout de Vries.

Rotterdam 2 ‘a God who leads’.
Often I am amazed in the way God leads me to the right ship at the proper moment. Last March Johan and I paid
some visits to the ships in the Container port. The last ship that day was a container ship with a Philippino crew.
We went aboard that particular afternoon during the coffee break, not knowing if we would meet anyone to talk to.
While chatting to the cook I heard my name being
called. I turned around and there was my good
friend Eddy. I have known this fine brother for
years. He is a great witness for the Lord and
leads a bible study group on every ship he works
on. He had forgotten to tell me that his ship was
calling in at the port of Rotterdam. For me it was
a sign of God’s perfect leading. The following day
we again went on this ship during lunchtime and
could continue our conversation. Together with
another believer Eddy now leads the bible group. They were grateful for the material they had received from us and
were glad to have met one another after 4 years. My colleague Johan was very much encouraged by Eddy’s
testimony.
With greetings, Felix Henrichs.

Amsterdam 3
Yvonne and I, by special invitation of a Philippine friend and his family in the Philippines, were asked to come
aboard his ship at quarter past six that evening. Our friend welcomed us at the caretaker’s lodge and together we
walked to the ship. He asked us to join him for dinner
straightaway where we also had some good
conversations. During the meal Yvonne could witness to
him how the Lord had touched her aching knee. Also the
Norwegian captain was very friendly and happy to see
us. Different sorts of Biblical material were handed out
and two sailors received a fine concordance. In leaving,
after having been aboard for about two hours, some
men accompanied us to the car to receive some
clothing. We also prayed with them. With several sailors
we remain in contact. One day, on the way to a ship, I
was held up in a traffic jam. During my last visit on-board
this ship it was extremely hectic and didn’t find an “open
door”. I promised to come back and wanted to speak to
seven Philippino seamen in particular. So I arrived later
than I had planned and just at that moment six men had
taken a break and were walking on the quay-side. I had good talks with them, passing on some literature. God is
good. The seventh man was on board and had watch-duty, so I went to look for him. “Do you have a Bible?”, he
asked straight away, “for I want to know more about God”. He was very interested when I opened the Bible with
him. He also received some fine tracts and booklets. In parting I prayed for him and his family.
During the last period, according to my notebook, we were aboard ships with sailors from Croatia, Poland, Belgium,
Italy, Rumania, Russia, the Ukraine, Indonesia, Lithuania, Norway, England, the Netherlands and the Philippines.
God leads in every aspect! He is faithful!
Thank you for your prayers and other tokens of fellowship.
With greetings, Theo en Yvonne van Zuilekom.

The seafarers mentioned in this newsletter do have in actual life different names. For privacy reasons the proper
names are not mentioned. The photo’s in this bulletin are printed with permission.
Our deep thanks to: “WIN-NL Seafarers’ Ministry”, City-Bibles, Dutch Seamen Society, Seamen's Centre
Amsterdam, Global Recordings Network, Ark Mission, Evangelism Foreigners Service, The Bible Society, Pocket
Testament League, Christian Aid Ministries, Operation Mobilization, Sailor Society and other unnamed
organizations, who all in their own specific way, contribute to do the job well.
We would like to ask prayer for the health of all co-workers and their families but especially for:
Anneke Best and Jan Peter Kapteijn to continue in the ministry God has given them to do.
A hearty thanks for all you valuable prayers and other tokens of fellowship. In this way God is working, also through
you, in order that sailors can hear His Word and accept it. We are grateful towards God for the many chances to
be a blessing to seafarers.

Amsterdam: Theo van Zuilekom wthvzuilekom@gmail.com
Yvonne van Zuilekom yhvzuilekom@gmail.com
Marien Gijsbertsen marchris@solcon.nl
Cruise Ships: Jan Best janbest.sr@gmail.com
Anneke Best annekebest@gmail.com
Jan Gooijer jan.gooijer@live.nl
Rotterdam: Felix Henrichs felix.henrichs@scfs.org
Wout de Vries woutdevries4@gmail.com
René Reifel rene.reifel@web.de
Beverwijk, IJmuiden: Jan en Anneke Best janbest.sr@gmail.com
Delfzijl, Eemshaven: Jan Peter en José Kapteijn j.p.kapteijn@hotmail.com
Harlingen: Jan Gooijer jan.gooijer@live.nl
Itinerant: Michiel Kramers m.kramers@hotmail.com
general: Wim en Inez de Baat wimdebaat@gmail.com
Desmond en Liz Heng mhheng@gmail.com
Translations,Wooden Crosses
Bottle Ships: Gerrit Huisman ghuisman@live.nl
Webmaster: Tom Hofkamp tomhofkamp@solcon.nl
Ambassador: Robbert Speelman r.speelman@me.com
Board:
Chairman: Theo van Zuilekom wthvzuilekom@gmail.com
Secretary: Jan Best janbest.sr@gmail.com
Treasurer: Jan Gooijer jan.gooijer@live.nl

IBAN NL71INGB0005545299 - BIC INGBNL2A
ANBI registered under RSIN nr. 816655789 - C.O.C. nr. 41023812

*************************************************************************************

Terug naar